HAL/Machu Picchu Excursion

jow623

We are booked on a HAL South American cruise to South America. One of the options will be an excursion to Machu Picchu. I cannot find the price for this. Has anyone done HAL's excursion? How was it and how much was it? thanks

• 1 month later...

Ship's tours to MP are always outrageously expensive.   Our's with Celebrity cost double what the 15 day cruise cost.

Instead, we booked a private four day, three night tour with PERU AGENCY for $799 per person.

FANNY ALVARADO | TRAVEL ADVISOR
12 años creando experiencias únicas - 12 Years creating unique experiences 
Tel: 511-7119966 anx: 105 //5184-262699 anx: 101
Email: ventas1@peruagency.com | Skype:peruagency.resevas1 | www.peruagency.com

We just returned from a cruise that stopped in Lima.  Since it was only an overnight, not 2 nights, the ship's tour was to leave from Trujillo and many passengers made independent arrangements starting in Trujillo.  The ship was unable to stop in Trujillo--the Captain sped up to try to beat the port closing due to bad swell, but even arriving early it was crazy dangerous and he had to give up.  We arrived early in Lima (4 am) so the official HAL tour was shortened and did the flight to Cusco, train, and MP all in one day, arriving back in Cusco at 11 pm.  The next day they had a very brief tour of Cusco, flew back to Lima, and had a short tour of town there.  The tour was discounted a few $100 and about half of those scheduled for it took the shortened tour.  Those with independent arrangements were out of luck.

My observation is that you could easily fly to Peru, take a nice week or so tour, and fly home for what the ship's tour costs.  I realize some don't want to do the long flights and opt to pay for the expensive tour.  I would not book independent arrangements from the ship unless you are positive your insurance will cover it if you can't go.  Either way you will not be able to do this fascinating area justice.  Yes, you can cross MP off your bucket list but you will miss lots of other wonderful sites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As said above, better to do independently outside a cruise, see and enjoy a lot more at a much more leisurely pace. 

I think it was well over $4k p.p. for a very rushed trip with very early AM (think 3-4 am) departures (same pricing as for the Galapagos) when  took the Zaandam repo cruise down 4 years ago.  That was more than we spent for the 22 nt cruise for the both of us.

For that, you can buy BC r/t tickets from a lot of North America to LIM and have lots of money leftover for a leisurely trip.  I don't think we spent anywhere near that much doing 2-3 nights in Valparaiso and Santiago in total post cruise, 3 nts in Easter Island (with flights and car rental), overnight hotel at SCL, flying up to LIM and CUZ, driven over to Ollantaytambo, train to Machu Picchu, overnight in Aguas Calientes, virtually the whole day up in Machu Picchu, train to Ollantaytambo for 2 nights.  Driven back to Cusco (with sights along the way), a few nights in Cusco and tours of surrounding Inca sites, flying to LIM, staying a night before flying home BC on DL.