Taking Amtrak to Newark and staying at Renaissance...Um...

Nessa1dc

Our family will be sailing on the Anthem in March 2019. We have decided to take the train from DC to Newark....this is a first with taking the train.

Here are the questions....thank you in advance:

1. Is the Newark Train Station at the Airport?

2. We are staying at the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel?

3. Is there a shuttle from train station/airport to hotel? Do we call or just wait?

4. How far from station to hotel?

5. Renaissance nice? Should I ask for a particular room?

6. We normally use Independent Driver when we stayed at Country Inn & Suites. Can I do the same for the Renaissance?

7. Anything to do in Newark?

8. How far from hotel to Port?

Anything you have, we'll take it. Thank you.

Our family will be sailing on the Anthem in March 2019. We have decided to take the train from DC to Newark....this is a first with taking the train.

Here are the questions....thank you in advance:

1. Is the Newark Train Station at the Airport?

No - Newark Airport Station is at the airport

2. We are staying at the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel? Have you made a noncancellable reservation?

3. Is there a shuttle from train station/airport to hotel? Do we call or just wait? You must take the Airtrain to the P4 Airtrain Station to connect with all hotel shuttles

4. How far from station to hotel? 2-3 miles

5. Renaissance nice? Should I ask for a particular room?

It's nice, but it's on truck route 1/9. It offers free breakfast, but has no dining options on the property or even nearby.

6. We normally use Independent Driver when we stayed at Country Inn & Suites. Can I do the same for the Renaissance? Folks have posted that they are no longer in business.

7. Anything to do in Newark? Yes, but not a lot. What are you interested in? The airport is 5 miles from downtown Newark mostly on local streets through a highly urban area.

8. How far from hotel to Port? About 11 miles

Anything you have, we'll take it. Thank you.

Could you provide more details? Have you booked any noncancellable reservations? What is your hotel budget and number of people? Exact date? Estimated arrival time? Bed size requirements? Do you use Uber? There are so many variables. Not much at the airport except the Jersey Gardens Mall and chain restaurants. Many hotels like the Renaissance offer free breakfast but no other food service. You can go into New York City, but that's easiest from a downtown Newark or Jersey City hotel.

Could you provide more details? Have you booked any noncancellable reservations? What is your hotel budget and number of people? Exact date? Estimated arrival time? Bed size requirements? Do you use Uber? There are so many variables. Not much at the airport except the Jersey Gardens Mall and chain restaurants. Many hotels like the Renaissance offer free breakfast but no other food service. You can go into New York City, but that's easiest from a downtown Newark or Jersey City hotel.

1. Our hotel is cancellable, but we have a super cheap rate, and want to keep it. Is something wrong with the Renaissance?

2. There will be 6 of us. The Renaissance is running us about $99

3. Taking train on Friday, March 29th (arriving about 1pm). Sailing on March 30th.

4. Double bed is cool for us...not picky there. But CLEAN is a must.

5. We are fine with chain restaurants in Elizabeth....we don't have to go to NY.

What did you mean about the Train Station? We would arrive at Newark International Airport Station. Where is that?

oops...edited to add....Thank you

1. Our hotel is cancellable, but we have a super cheap rate, and want to keep it. Is something wrong with the Renaissance?

2. There will be 6 of us. The Renaissance is running us about $99

3. Taking train on Friday, March 29th (arriving about 1pm). Sailing on March 30th.

4. Double bed is cool for us...not picky there. But CLEAN is a must.

5. We are fine with chain restaurants in Elizabeth....we don't have to go to NY.

What did you mean about the Train Station? We would arrive at Newark International Airport Station. Where is that?

oops...edited to add....Thank you

Renaissance is fine. It's a fantastic price and rooms for 6 are hard to find.

Newark International airport Station is at the airport - only free Airtrain access. https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

Do any of your children require car seats under NJ law?

"The law, which begins Sept. 1, includes new regulations that require toddlers under age 2 and 30 lbs. to remain in rear-facing car seats. Older kids must remain in a booster seat until they are either age 8 or 57 inches tall."

The Renaissance isn't near any of the chain restaurants Carol was referencing, which are located near the hotels that are in the area of the Mills at Jersey Garden outlet mall.

However, per the Renaissance's website they do have an on site restaurant, but this hotel does not offer free breakfast. So the hotel is different from most on that side of the airport, which generally don't have a restaurant but do offer free breakfast.

Also, to clarify the train situation there actually is a charge for the AirTrain that you're going to take from the Newark Airport Station to the AirTrain P4 station where the hotel shuttle will meet you. It's just that the $5.50 price of the AirTrain is built into the price you'll be paying for your Amtrak ticket from DC to Newark Airport Station. AirTrain is only free for trips that are completely within the Newark Airport.

Edited by njhorseman

So I started a reply and weird stuff happened...

I was there a week ago and it's fine. Not the newest or most beautiful BUT it was clean and comfy. They have a restaurant but sometimes it's not open for dinner due to business demands. They do serve the full dinner menu in the nice lounge off the lobby.

It's reasonably quiet as flight crews stay there. I was on the Concierge floor in a room facing the airport and didn't really hear much noise.

AirTrain is a free monorail that you'll take to P4 ( sometimes the monorail is down for maintenance and they run shuttle buses but normally there is NO vehicular access to the EWR Airport rail station. You'll want to book to EWR and not NWK. BTW Amtrak has been a mess lately. Today several trains were late, canceled, terminated early or something else so it's good that you're coming ahead. I would NOT suggest-ever-taking Amtrak the same day you're leaving.

Trying to upload some pix but having technical issues so I'll try again later.

We need Meg to weigh in on this - she has actually stayed there.

My bad about the free breakfast. The web site says room service, sundry/convenience store, and breakfast are offered. Last time I looked closely at the Renaissance, this meant no lunch or dinner. I'd suggest calling the hotel directly.

No vehicle access means no vehicle access! You must take Airtrain.

How small are your children? NJ has a strict car seat law which applies to livery vehicles like cabs and Uber. Trains and shuttle buses are exempt. More details can be provided if any of your children are under 8 and under 57 lbs.

No free breakfast unless you book a rate that includes it. I was there on a weekday and have Concierge lounge access so I did have breakfast. The little "shop" doesn't have much and it's expensive so don't plan on buying anything other than $25 aspirin or a $9 Pepsi. (Ok, exaggerating a little there)

And I did say free monorail, but it really isn't, however, the cost is built into your ticket.

It's a full-service hotel so you can get breakfast and dinner at the very least, and I presume that they do have lunch as well. I got there around 3 so I didn't notice.

As I said, I was there a little over a week ago. I went by train as I had an event to attend and I didn't feel like driving. I'd take an Uber or Lyft (I don't have kids so I can't help you on that stuff).

The $99 rate is really good. See if there's one that includes breakfast. Might be a better deal. Like I said, it's clean, the staff was quite friendly, the hotel is just in need of a renovation. The corridors are somewhat banged up but the place is clean. It's an airport hotel and gets a LOT of people in and out.

Parking is secured and there's a security person riding around in the lot all night. I actually left my luggage in the hall adjacent to the restroom off the lobby (dumb, I know, but well.... ;) ) and when I came out, a security person was waiting for me and asked if it was my stuff. I blushed, apologized, said I really had to go and was not fully awake. He was nice and said ok, but don't let it happen again!

If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll try to help. Like Carol and others said, it's not over by the outlet mall that we often suggest but there's nothing wrong with the place. It's not beautiful but it's not a dump. The food and drinks were good, I slept well and was able to watch airplanes, traffic and Elizabeth Police pulling over and making cars that were parked on the shoulder, waiting to pick people up, move on. Free entertainment!

First of all, I can't thank you all enough. The pictures are great.

My family includes no children...we are all 48 and above. But we do have a 73 year old...who is very mobile, but I don't want to bog them down with moving luggage all over the place. I just want to clarify a few things.

1. We need to take the train from DC to EWR (not Newark)

2. Once we leave the train we need to take AirTran (where is AirTran from the Train?, How long of a wait?, How long of a ride?, where is it taking me?)

3. Once we hit our final destination from AirTran, I then get on the Renaissance shuttle to the hotel. If we take a cab, how much to Renaissance? (we are not good waiters).

4. I understand that Independent Drivers is no more...is there another service like that for 6 six people transportation to the port?

5. If we took a taxi to the Outlet mall...about how much?

Thank you all again

Can I just ask why you are stopping in a hotel? When we did DC to Cape Liberty in December '09, we just got the Acela (about 1030 I think) to Newark Penn station, got in our pre booked car service (we used Black Executive Cars) and were at Cape Liberty by 1230. Just asking...I'm sure you could save by not using a hotel.

Simon

Can I just ask why you are stopping in a hotel? When we did DC to Cape Liberty in December '09, we just got the Acela (about 1030 I think) to Newark Penn station, got in our pre booked car service (we used Black Executive Cars) and were at Cape Liberty by 1230. Just asking...I'm sure you could save by not using a hotel.

Simon

We don't travel on the same day of cruising. Well...at least not Jersey or further out. We have same day transportation for Baltimore...but that's 30 minutes away. So we always stay the night before when coming out of Jersey or Florida.

When you get off of Amtrak, you will go up to the station. At that point, you will head to the turnstile, show your Amtrak ticket, and be let through. You then head down to the AirTrain. As it circles the airport, the wait isn't too long. You get on, head to the hotel pick up area. At that point, no guessing as to the wait for the hotel shuttle.

First of all, I can't thank you all enough. The pictures are great.

My family includes no children...we are all 48 and above. But we do have a 73 year old...who is very mobile, but I don't want to bog them down with moving luggage all over the place. I just want to clarify a few things.

1. We need to take the train from DC to EWR (not Newark) YUP!!!

2. Once we leave the train we need to take AirTran (where is AirTran from the Train?, How long of a wait?, How long of a ride?, where is it taking me?) Right there, follow signs...5 or 10 minutes-it's a constantly moving operation. You'll go to a stop called P4 which IIRC is the first one you come to.

3. Once we hit our final destination from AirTran, I then get on the Renaissance shuttle to the hotel. If we take a cab, how much to Renaissance? (we are not good waiters). Eh, it's Jersey, 20 bucks maybe? It's NOT far but kind of a loopy ride.

4. I understand that Independent Drivers is no more...is there another service like that for 6 six people transportation to the port? I'd say a couple Ubers/Lyfts

5. If we took a taxi to the Outlet mall...about how much? 20-30 bucks maybe?

Thank you all again

See answers above!

The mall is ok for killing time. It's NOT going to help you at all if you want to buy something that you've forgotten. There IS a Stop n Shop and a liquor store in the shopping center adjacent to Cape Liberty. Not walkable, probably an 8-10 buck cab or Uber from the pier.

You're welcome too, glad the pix help. I was a Housekeeping Manager with Marriott for a long time many years ago so I am a LOT pickier than most people when it comes to cleanliness and I notice stuff that others probably do not see. I'd stay at the Renaissance again-I think you'll be comfy there for a night. Again, it's not the Ritz Carlton but we're also NOT telling you to run away and NOT stay there! :P

We don't travel on the same day of cruising. Well...at least not Jersey or further out. We have same day transportation for Baltimore...but that's 30 minutes away. So we always stay the night before when coming out of Jersey or Florida.

Fair enough, but I still think you could easily do the trip on the day.

Simon

Simon

You are absolutely right...but the stress level would be on 100...its worth the $150 bucks to not be stressed. Why not start vacation a day earlier? :)

Simon

Stuff happens. People jump in front of trains. Overhead wires come down. Acela's break down etc. I always take Amtrak from DC to cruises out of New York area ports and I usually go a day early.

Stuff happens. People jump in front of trains. Overhead wires come down. Acela's break down etc. I always take Amtrak from DC to cruises out of New York area ports and I usually go a day early.

^^^^^ THIS!! Especially these days on the NEC. For example, yesterday there were signal issues, 1 or 2 broken down trains backing up everything behind them, a blocked track and a train that was supposed to go all the way to Boston (from DC) that terminated in Trenton AFTER it either got semi-repaired OR towed because the locomotive broke down. No power, no a/c, no flushing toilets and 100 degrees

Yes, travel the day ahead! The NEC (North East Corridor) is a mess

Simon

Back in 2009 the Acela train was much faster obviously as you were in Bayonne just 2 hours after the train departed. Currently, Acela takes 2h45m and then there is the time needed to transit from Newark to Cape Liberty. Not worth the stress and worry for a $100-$200 savings.

Back in 2009 the Acela train was much faster obviously as you were in Bayonne just 2 hours after the train departed. Currently, Acela takes 2h45m and then there is the time needed to transit from Newark to Cape Liberty. Not worth the stress and worry for a $100-$200 savings.

The speed of the Acela has not changed. It is the same now as in 2009. Also you could never get to Bayonne in 2 hours.

Nessa1dc - Have we answered all your questions?

Are the 6 of you sharing a large room at the Renaissance for $99? Or do you have multiple rooms at $99? If you have multiple rooms, there are other hotel options out there for you.

I think you have a good plan. I sail in the winter and always come down from Boston the day before and stay in a hotel. If I drive, I do a park, sleep, cruise. If I take the train, I get a hotel with good public transit access. So far I've stayed at the airport, I've stayed in downtown Newark, I've stayed in Manhattan, and next Feb I'm staying in Jersey City. IMO there is no optimal way to do Cape Liberty.