Sydney Overseas Passenger Terminal

Tonyrefail1

Remember for those leaving Australia on a cruise and NOT returning into Australia, once you board ship , you are NOT allowed to walk off and visit more of the city later.

I thought it applied to everyone.

Been signs up our last few cruises about it.

I actually had the same question for Auckland NZ departure. Can we drop luggage off and tour the city and check-in later?

I believe so.

Never embarked there, but had others joining us, seemed to be taking bags as we disembarked.

• 4 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, WAVTAM said:

Remember for those leaving Australia on a cruise and NOT returning into Australia, once you board ship , you are NOT allowed to walk off and visit more of the city later.

What?  Is this true?  I'd like to drop off my luggage AND go inside to change my dining seating reservation.

This is a bummer to find out.

1 hour ago, aSiAnRiCk said:

What?  Is this true?  I'd like to drop off my luggage AND go inside to change my dining seating reservation.

This is a bummer to find out.

Part of the check in process is not only checking into the ship, but verifying with immigration that you are leaving the country. They have a separate stand to verify that you'd arrived and then verifying that you are leaving within the time frame of the visa.

9 hours ago, aSiAnRiCk said:

Ok, is it the same if our next port is Hobart, which is still Australia?

I’ve never tested it to see, but have seen signs about it even on short cruises with no ports and on cruises to Tasmania and back.

1 hour ago, aSiAnRiCk said:

Okay, thank you guys.  We will be dropped off at 8:30 am.  I'm not sure if the porter will be open by then.  Maybe I need to look for luggage drop off so we can explore prior to boarding the ship.

Thank you for all the help.

Luggage drop should be open by then, you wont find many (if any) porters.

We have never got there ultra early, but I understand that the luggage handlers will start taking luggage soon after they finish with the disembarking passengers luggage, so maybe around 8:30 or 9:00. As others have said you can just drop off your luggage and go exploring until check-in opens or later - whenever you want to come back.

I guess you can check-in (& get your sea-pass card) & then exit the building without passing thru passport checkpoint (if international cruise) & security & just come back later to finish the process & board??

When you go to luggage drop off (there are signs) there will be someone there to take your bags off you. However, you have to get your bags to the drop off office yourself. If you get there early (8.30am) you won't be able to check in till later. Just drop off your bags and head off exploring. Make sure you have the tags on the bags !

Edited by vozzie

• 3 weeks later...

You can definitely drop your luggage at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at 8:00AM.  We were just there for sail aways on 1/31/19 (Solstice) and 2/15/19 (Explorer).   DH walked the large bags down just after 8:00, and porters were there to take them.  Very easy to do.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, mr walker said:

We have never got there ultra early, but I understand that the luggage handlers will start taking luggage soon after they finish with the disembarking passengers luggage, so maybe around 8:30 or 9:00. As others have said you can just drop off your luggage and go exploring until check-in opens or later - whenever you want to come back.

I guess you can check-in (& get your sea-pass card) & then exit the building without passing thru passport checkpoint (if international cruise) & security & just come back later to finish the process & board??

No....Immigration is the first desk before cruise check in.

7 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

No....Immigration is the first desk before cruise check in.

Never seen that at Sydney OPT. Drop bags at luggage drop-off outside terminal, inside & upstairs to check-in counters, then around to 'passport control', sometimes with a wait in waiting area until 'boarding card' number is called if they are using that system that day. Then past TRS desk, thru security scanners and onto ship.

What I don't know is if you can check-in & then exit until later, returning and picking up the trail at the passport control point, similar to what an in-transit passenger would do?