In port shopping - BEWARE

I just have to put a tip out there to help people be aware of this trap.

Please watch out for the business "Tresor Rare." Do NOT go near them and I'd suggest even crossing to the other side of the street when approaching the store.

No I am not their competition or anything; I will just share a short bit of info of what I learned the hard way.

I took a cruise to Nassau Bahamas. After my shore excursion we had a little time for shopping. I wandered around looking for a particular jewelry store and happened to pass Tresor Rare. There are several of these stores in the same shopping area here. They have sales consultants out on the sidewalk who will offer you a free sample. Free is always good right? Not when it leads to losing nearly $3000 CAD!

Ok, you take the free sample and she says come inside I just want to give you another for your eyes. So you follow her but this sample isn't in a little pack, she applies it directly.

To make a long story short after about an hour of what little time I had they managed to talk me into buying a skin care system that was "$1800!!" But it was a great deal comparing to the prices online they said. They kept agreeing to add on free products if I buy this one thing. And they said I couldn't get the deal anywhere else and that particular salesperson ( in my case Giovani) is only in town for the day and lives in another country.

By the end you'd almost pay $2000 to get him to shut up and get yourself out of there. They know how to target vulerable people like myself, in too much of a hurry to think straight.

They use almost harassing sales tactics and even lies to get you to buy. He insulted me and told me I look 47 even though I have a baby face and am 39. He said I will be ashamed to tell my age if I don't use his products because I will look much older. Giovani told me there is NO problem to return products if I want or if they don't work. Opened or not Opened, no questions asked, I have up to 3 months to try AND they will even send you a shipping label so you do not have to pay postage! BEWARE this is NOT true, I've tried personally. When the receipt prints out after you've paid it states on the bottom "no returns." So everything he told me was bulls**t. Plus somehow he added on $200 which I didn't realize until after. He quoted me $1800 but then I was charged $2000, and that was USD and I live in Canada. Yes, I know I'm an idiot and a sucker but too late for me now. Just wanted to give everyone heads up. When you hear them say the same lines to you that I've stated here hopefully you won't get sucked in too. Google Tresor Rare and you'll get the official website with a lot of grand reviews but you'll also get hundreds of pages with reviews and horror stories from real people that have had the same experience I had.

Maybe the products are good and work for some. Fine if you're rich, which I am not, and you want to spend the cash. But in my opinion they are lying, aggessive, theives who scam unsuspecting people just to make a sale.:mad:

Don't be too harsh everyone... My DH and I were somehow hoodwinked , persuaded or whatever you want to call it ( I still think they put something in our drinks) to spend 5x the OP 's regretful purchase on a time share in Curaçao . The fact that BOTH of us were on board ( that should have been the first sign of trouble, as I am super frugal) suggests that either some people are super good at selling anything or some are more susceptible to their tactics. Thank you OP, I wish someone had warned us not to fall for the "win a free vacation" line.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to hear you were pressured into making an unplanned expensive purchase. For what it is worth, you may want to consider limiting big ticket purchases to when you are home and supporting business which benefit your community and/or accountable to some consumer agency. This may also include jewelry and gasp, future cruise bookings onboard if you didn't board with researched plans of a specific future sailing at $XXX price.

I enjoy some window shopping but am happier with souvenirs like a local tea or stop for some ice cream to remember my time there. Many cruise port vacation destinations have chain stores which employ a lot of sales tactics to get you to buy, which may be "worth" $30 for an extra tote bag if you really like it, but ask yourself if you really want to talk to a professional sales person when you've finally gotten where you paid a fair amount of money to get to. "Save" your vacation time, too, not just on your purchases :)

I don't wish to sound harsh....but nothing is EVER free.

They were from the beginning offered a free sample and lots of shops really give away free samples which really are free. If you choose to buy something in the shop you pay even for the free sample, since it's included in the price for all things they sell, but if you don't buy anything the free sample is really free.

Del Sol give away lots of free samples so I have recieved lots of colour changing rings for free since I haven't bought anything from them.

I would post this on the Ports Of Call Board where others who might be traveling to that port will see this.

Keith

Great idea.

These people are very good at selling but rarely give any aftersales service.

I feel sorry for you and thank you for being brave to warn others.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
They were from the beginning offered a free sample and lots of shops really give away free samples which really are free. If you choose to buy something in the shop you pay even for the free sample, since it's included in the price for all things they sell, but if you don't buy anything the free sample is really free.

Del Sol give away lots of free samples so I have recieved lots of colour changing rings for free since I haven't bought anything from them.

Exactly

Thank you to the understanding people. As always, in places where people post their "opinions", most people only have something rude or condescending to reply. I'm not asking for someone to feel sorry for me, I know I was an idiot, I admit it. I was just giving a word of caution. If it doesn't apply to you, move on. Adios.

Not being critical but the word “NO” has to factor into your vocabulary whether dealing with a street vendor for a $10.00 item or a store pushing to whatever limit it can find. This is as true at home as it is when one travels. It just seems that one can be more vulnerable on a trip when you believe you may never get that opportunity again. Sorry for your experience.

In all honesty, the island stops in the Caribbean are not good places to shop; bargains are rarely found in such places. They're tourist traps that prey on people who are ready to drop dollars because they're on vacation and it seems to be "the thing to do". The internet has made the world smaller, and whatever products they're selling on the islands, you can get at home.

I suggest you focus on experiences and bring home memories rather than trinkets.

• 3 weeks later...

I've wondered about the jewelry shops in the Caribbean. Having only been on one Caribbean cruise, I was surprised by the number of people visiting the stores - I thought maybe there was no tax or some such. I am not a shopper when cruising but I was surprised in some of our ports of call - lots of cruisers were in the stores (can't say whether they purchased or not).