Smuggling Booze on Person

Has anybody had success filling rum runners and just carrying on there person. For example if my wife wore spandex and shirt that concealed, would this work since the scanners that you walk through only detect metal. They dont do pat downs that I saw. We have packed our rum runners in our bags that we gave to porters in the past and have always been successful. I was just curious on yalls thoughts.

• 2 months later...

I had friends smuggle theirs in hygiene bottles like fake contact solution bottles. I packed a couple small bottles in their original package in my suitcase and had no issue. Now we just buy the Cheers package BUT it is expensive..they should reduce the price to reduce people wanting to smuggle

In Miami you pass through the Port Authority scanners when boarding and I would not want to get caught by those guys! They tell you to remove everything from your pockets. Don't know what they will do if you get caught.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to offend - well, not very.

When questions arise looking for advice or information on smuggling or sneaking something aboard a cruise ship (alcohol in this case) I tend to wonder why the few people that actually do it book cruises in the first place? Why not just spend a week or two staying at an inexpensive motel munching on pizza while enjoying a case or two of beer that you can simply carry into your room (in plain sight)?

Like most people, I try to spend my money wisely. If after spending considerable money to book a cruise I discovered that I couldn't afford a few drinks per day while on that cruise - I'd save enough money until I could - then book the cruise.

Remember, smuggling is a synonym for stealing.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

And if you are really intent on doing this, search CC for the hundreds of threads discussing it to learn all of the ways that everybody has tried - and the cruise lines, who deal with tens of thousands of passengers each week, are well on top of. They've seen it all......:rolleyes:

• Like 1

They dont do pat downs that I saw.

Well they do. I have knee replacements and set off the metal detectors every single time. And yes, I get wanded and patted down. It's not nearly as intrusive as at the airport but it happens.

While your wife may not beep because there is no metal in rum runners, what would happen if she happened to leave her phone in her pocket or the machine happened to malfunction at that very moment she walked through?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 8:34 PM, VCUSkyhawk said:

Has anybody had success filling rum runners and just carrying on there person. For example if my wife wore spandex and shirt that concealed, would this work since the scanners that you walk through only detect metal. They dont do pat downs that I saw. We have packed our rum runners in our bags that we gave to porters in the past and have always been successful. I was just curious on yalls thoughts.

Wow! I just couldn't/wouldn't.

bitmoji-20190425071411.png

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Most cruise lines T&C say the confiscate the booze rather than make you walk the plank.

The T&C for most of them also says that you may be put off the ship for violating policy. I'm personally not going to take the chance to lose a $2k vacation to save $40 on booze (but then even if it weren't a remote possibility I'm not going to violate the T&C to save $40).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The T&C for most of them also says that you may be put off the ship for violating policy. I'm personally not going to take the chance to lose a $2k vacation to save $40 on booze (but then even if it weren't a remote possibility I'm not going to violate the T&C to save $40).

I am not saying you should. Just pointing out punishment isn’t as severe as some are claiming.

I had friends who have done it, some times confiscated, most times got away with it, never thrown off the ship.

I don’t think it is worth it. I would rather buy a screwdriver at pool bar, than buy an oj go to cabin, add vodka return to pool. 

1 minute ago, ed01106 said:

I am not saying you should. Just pointing out punishment isn’t as severe as some are claiming.

I had friends who have done it, some times confiscated, most times got away with it, never thrown off the ship.

I don’t think it is worth it. I would rather buy a screwdriver at pool bar, than buy an oj go to cabin, add vodka return to pool. 

I get what you are saying, but just because they haven't chosen to use the option of removing someone from the ship they still have it available to use, so it may not be as severe as some are claiming it certainly can be that severe.

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

I get what you are saying, but just because they haven't chosen to use the option of removing someone from the ship they still have it available to use, so it may not be as severe as some are claiming it certainly can be that severe.

Under FAQ of what not to bring it specially mentions confiscation. A very few even mention that they will return the booze to you at the end of the cruise, most say that you won’t get it back.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Under FAQ of what not to bring it specially mentions confiscation. A very few even mention that they will return the booze to you at the end of the cruise, most say that you won’t get it back.  

Ah, but the FAQ is not the terms and conditions of the contract and it's the terms and conditions in the contract that are controlling.

41 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Ah, but the FAQ is not the terms and conditions of the contract and it's the terms and conditions in the contract that are controlling.

If they didn’t follow their own FAQs it would be a huge PR mess.

25 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

If they didn’t follow their own FAQs it would be a huge PR mess.

I'm sure it would take something really egregious to cause it (such as bringing on booze and then giving it to minors), but the contract controls, not the FAQ. From what I've read about all of the major cruise lines they aren't afraid of a PR mess if they think they are in the right. (And if they are kicking someone off the ship because of smuggling booze then they are doing so to deter others and PR is what they would want under those circumstances.)

Edited by sparks1093

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 8:32 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

And if you are really intent on doing this, search CC for the hundreds of threads discussing it to learn all of the ways that everybody has tried - and the cruise lines, who deal with tens of thousands of passengers each week, are well on top of. They've seen it all......:rolleyes:

I just started reading this thread and for a minute thought I must have already replied. Go Birds

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't take a chance front of my family, all my teaching would go down the drain.  Go light for couple days and buy drinks, if you are a wine drinker you can take a nice bottle of wine for $15-20 cork fee (I took 4 bottles last time, register at the scan area and they forgot to charge me 😉  When you are at port coming back from excursion, they were scanning but not as hard as embarkation port.  I had liquid in my water bottles but they never ask to empty them out, I keep them in the bag water pocket.  But if you bring a bottle they will take it for safe keeping.

• 1 month later...

Smuggling alcohol, and talking about it on Cruise Critic is not a good idea and hurts everyone.

Because of people smuggling booze, we can no longer take on bottled water or bottled soda. Some of us do not like aluminum canned soda.

The bottled water on the ship has a higher amount of saline than regular water. Some of us already struggle with swollen ankles on cruises because of too much salt in the food. This will not help.