New age-in-place house, or staying put in our "starter home" and cruising often?

My husband and I are 53 and 58. We bought our "starter" home 30 years ago, intending to move up on the property ladder. We never did due to financial set backs which we have since overcome. My husband is a very talented man and has fixed up the old farm house he bought (we still have 3 acres of the original farm, the town has grown around us), and it is fine for our needs.

But it is not an "age in place" type home with different levels and bedrooms upstairs. We thought early in our marriage when we were "old", we would have a comfortable new home.

I pored over home designs when I was younger dreaming of my red brick georgian home of my dreams.

Now the thought of a new build exhausts me.

I met a wealthy women on a cruise this year. She told me she was selling her ocean front home, (that cost her 20,000 a year in property tax)---because she told me she would rather spend that money cruising!

Our property tax is much less. It made me think.

So we are staying put.

For now at least.

Cruising is fine for a vacation, but not the way I'd want to spend my entire retirement. It's MUCH costlier than having a land-based home..where folks can visit, and you have more than 1 room.....think this through!

I met a wealthy women on a cruise this year. She told me she was selling her ocean front home, (that cost her 20,000 a year in property tax)---because she told me she would rather spend that money cruising!

Yes, there are actually ships (quite luxurious) that sail all year long. Would not be my choice (even if I could afford such a thing).

Interesting! Our situation is much like yours! We have good health, mobility, good neighbors, and a comfortable lifestyle. We are staying put, here, as we have no desire to spend money to move where we would have to 'start all over again" in terms of building relationships with neighbors and the community. Perhaps, later in life, we will have to move. By then, we will have increased our nest egg, and we will have more of an idea where we want/need to go, depending on our health issues that may arise. Move for the sake of having a new home? Not the script for us, right now.

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to make some modest changes to make it more aging friendly? Create a main floor bedroom, a second floor laundry, etc. I know from experience that a stair lift between two floors will cost you less than realtor's fees!