Single retired male searching for my very first cruise

Senioradventurer1

Any suggestions for a fabulous first cruise preferably out of New York port. Never went on a cruise [emoji568]. Is there an up charge to travel alone?:) Looking for an enriching opportunity to relax and socialize . Suggestions appreciated .

I am 67 and been cruising as a single many times. We do take a “hickey” in cost, almost twice as much. But if you are going to experience cruising, you have to do it. I think a seven day Caribbean cruise is the way to start. 3-4 days really isn’t long enough to relax. I would stay away from the party, party atmosphere cruises. Won’t mention a line here, but everyone knows who they are. I’ve tried the singles meet on some cruises, but never had much luck with them. I have gotten lonely before, but also have traveled with others as a group which helps. I , for one, like the mega ships, but that’s just me. Others differ. My suggestion—- Royal Caribbean seven day western Caribbean!!! For what it’s worth!!

Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate any advice and it sounds like you speak from experience. I like the idea of a 7 day Royal Caribbean Cruise ( didn’t know about the West/ East option). What islands are your favorites? Also I was told there are great small group overseas adventure travel options called OAT that are great (though pricey). Have you ever tried them ? Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

The water is pretty cold out of New York. You could sail from NJ to Bermuda but the first day and the last day will be cold.

I would say go for at least a week. The Caribbean cruises are fun and a lot of them leave from Fort Lauderdale which is very convenient since the airport is near the port. One problem with the Caribbean may be hurricanes from late July to November.

You get settled in your room late the first afternoon and leave very early the last day, so a 7 day cruise has six clear days onboard.

Another possibility is a Mexican Riviera Cruise. There are some out of San Diego which is a cool little city and very manageable and is one of my favorite places for a departure port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Any suggestions for a fabulous first cruise preferably out of New York port. Never went on a cruise [emoji568]. Is there an up charge to travel alone?:) Looking for an enriching opportunity to relax and socialize . Suggestions appreciated .

I just completed #9 and planning my 10th! Hit me up on some tips/advice if you are still looking for information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums