Alaska Excitement

Hoyaheel

OKAY!!

Well, I was hoping to be all packed up by now...and I'm about half way. The gear is sorted. And I've sat here and figured out my wardrobe packing list and gathered my clothing in a laundry basket...ready to be dealt with and actually packed tomorrow.

Here's my list:

Bottoms:

Jeans

Black cargo hiking leggings

Black quick dry capris

Gray cargo water resistant pants

Gray quick dry pants

Print Leggings (to wear with dresses)

Capri Leggings (to wear with dresses)

Tops:

SmartWool Short Sleeve (SS)

IceBreaker SS

Bamboo Blend Technical SS

Bamboo Fashion SS

SmartWool LS

C9 Knit SS

Dresses:

Bamboo SS

Bamboo LS

Socks:

SmartWool Hiking x2

SmartWool Run

Toe Socks x3

Fashion

Compression

Tights (formal night!)

Bras:

Nude Underwire

Nude Non-underwire

Gray athletic x2

Black/Gray cami

Raincoat

Fleece Hoodie

Fleece Vest

Flannel

Beanie

Ball Cap

Windproof Gloves

Fleece Gloves

Scarf

Belt

SwimSuit

CoverUp

Pajamas

Shoes:

Hiking Boots

Trail Runners

Birks

Yoga Slings

This list is subject to change during the actual packing tomorrow...but this is what I have gathered. If anything...something will be edited down.

This list includes my travel outfit, which I imagine will be:

Jeans

C9 Knit SS

Compression Socks

Hiking Boots

Also imagine that some of these items will be included in my carry on...which may or may not have everything that I might want for our 2 nights in Vancouver prior to the cruise.

My two bamboo dresses form the backbone of my evening wear rotation for the cruise. My dresses are a bit on the short side...and I also benefit from a leg covering to help with thigh chaffing (sorry if TMI)...so I plan to rotate the long leggings, shorter leggings and tights with the dresses. The long leggings and tights are patterned and very fun!

Jeans are for if I've been wearing the trail tights and just don't want to do a major change for dinner...

We have a bit of an unusual packing situation as we are checking backpacking backpacks (packed in oversized duffles) with a bunch of camping and fishing gear, (for post cruise DIY land) in addition to clothing. I normally carry on my toiletries, jewelry, and electronics (camera, etc.), so may also include the few Vancouver items that will be needed pre-cruise so I don't have to deal with digging into the bag that was checked.

We will be checking 3 bags total...each with a backpack, etc. I'm very hopeful that all 3 bags will show up in Vancouver! but have a 2 day cushion so...feeling like we'll have done our best in the situation.

Hoyaheel...we would avoid those early am flights as well...but we bought our tickets with miles...and we did the best we could to stretch 100K miles between 3 people to get ourselves to Vancouver and then home from Anchorage. It was a bit of a juggle between the flights and the days for travel, but we made it work and agreed that we would just deal with the consequences.

I'd much rather fly out of Greensboro, which is less than 30 minutes away...a very easy drive, but the flights out of there are outrageously expensive and limited.

The good news is that driving to the airport hotel on the night before travel forces us to be ready earlier that night. I'm interested to see if there's better sleep the night before travel with that situation...or if I have the typical restless, hard to sleep night before travel.

I know you've read the boards for ages and probably are aware, but CROSS PACK. Since you're checking so many bags - just make sure your spouse/kids have an outfit or two of yours and you some of theirs, so you at least have something if a bag is delayed.

Have fun!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

I know all the advice on cross packing...and I have cross packed to a point in the past. I'm not worrying about it this trip because I'm separating what I'm wearing in Vancouver into a carry on...so I will have a 2 bottoms, 2 tops, a long sleeved hoodie and a vest...and extra shoes with me.

We also have 2 nights in Vancouver so...if by chance the worst happens and our luggage takes a detour...hopefully that would be enough time for our luggage to get rerouted.

It's a bit of a hold your breath moment though when that luggage starts coming down the carousel as you watch for your own!

Anita, put fragile tags on your checked luggage. It gets put in with first class & comes out sooner. Melody

The cargo hold does not have separate sections for first class and coach like the passenger cabin does. Actual first class bags (and bags of elite level frequent flyers) usually get a priority tag that MAY cause them to be loaded onto the carousel first. And baggage handlers aren't well known for paying attention to "fragile" tags. ;)

Hi,

We have never cruised to Alaska before so would really appreciate any advice on what clothes to take. Our cruise starts 22 July and should it all be winter clothing and thermal underwear? We will have a few days in Vancouver and Seattle either side of the cruise but as we are travelling from the Uk do not want to bring too much stuff and we will be restricted as luggage is limited to 23kg.

We want to sled with the huskies but where is the best place? What trips do people recommend. I always book myself - never use the cruise trips as we have a teen and its better to be flexible when you travel with a teen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

For tour recommendations, check out the Alaska forum - they also have quick links to recent trip reports so you can read about what people have done in different ports.

SE Alaska is a temperate rain foresty type place. It's not the arctic. It might be wet & windy, but in July it's unlikely to be frigid. Bring light layers so you can add/subtract as needed for the temps, and make sure your outer layer is waterproof.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back. Just wanted to check in here and say that I'm available for continued Alaska wardrobe discussion!

I think we were blessed with really good weather overall. Vancouver was dry and warm.

Ketchikan had rain, no surprise, but it wasn't especially cold because the wind wasn't high. The rain was more of a light rain, not a southern gully washer...and it would come and go. Temps were in the 60s.

Icy Strait Point was dry. The sun was shining for a bit...but it was cloudy. It was cool on the water (we went whale watching)...but it also wasn't blustery cold. Definitely wanted gloves and hats though. Same moderate 60s temp.

Juneau was rainy off and on and overcast, with some patches of sunshine. Same temps.

Skagway was sun shine and beautiful. Probably the warmest weather...until we hit a spot at the lake that acted like a wind tunnel. The wind chill is severe...but getting away from it and into the sun shine was an immediate relief. Temps probably pushed toward 70.

Hubbard was sun shine and no wind. It was freezing cold on deck in the morning at 6:30 am...the wind was blowing. DS went back to the cabin to put on his long underwear pants and was much happier. I wore a cami, a long sleeved smart wool shirt, a furry fleece vest, my fleece pullover, and my raincoat. I also had on a hat, and I pulled my fleece hoodie on AND my raincoat hoodie on. I wore wind stop gloves. I wore my smart wool socks and my hiking boots, which really helped my feet and my core stay warm. I was wearing lined leggings and probably could have been more comfortable with a pair of jeans over those...or something else. As soon as the sun came out though...I was fine.

Seward was rainy and overcast and chilly on debarkation day.

Traveling to Anchorage that day, Anchorage was sunny and warm.

Traveling back into the Kenai Peninsula...it was overcast and had been raining, but the weather was on the clear and we had some clouds and a lot sunshine. There could be rain that could be described as the sky was dripping. The weather was warm and lovely on the Peninsula.

We were back in Seward over the weekend as well. It was also warm and sunny there. The locals were calling the 75+ degree weather a heat wave and were wearing shorts and spaghetti strap tops.

I didn't think to do this until we hit Anchorage on Friday (debarkation day):

IMG_2207.jpg

Saturday Kenai Peninsula (this was taken in the evening...the high was higher earlier in the day):

IMG_2210.jpg

Sunday Kenai Peninsula:

IMG_2211.jpg

Sunday Seward...again in the evening...it was much warmer earlier in the day (I don't know why the actual high of the 24 hour day goes away if you pass by it):

IMG_2212.jpg

Monday Anchorage:

IMG_2214.jpg

I'm back. Just wanted to check in here and say that I'm available for continued Alaska wardrobe discussion!

I think we were blessed with really good weather overall. Vancouver was dry and warm.

Ketchikan had rain, no surprise, but it wasn't especially cold because the wind wasn't high. The rain was more of a light rain, not a southern gully washer...and it would come and go. Temps were in the 60s.

Icy Strait Point was dry. The sun was shining for a bit...but it was cloudy. It was cool on the water (we went whale watching)...but it also wasn't blustery cold. Definitely wanted gloves and hats though. Same moderate 60s temp.

Juneau was rainy off and on and overcast, with some patches of sunshine. Same temps.

Skagway was sun shine and beautiful. Probably the warmest weather...until we hit a spot at the lake that acted like a wind tunnel. The wind chill is severe...but getting away from it and into the sun shine was an immediate relief. Temps probably pushed toward 70.

Hubbard was sun shine and no wind. It was freezing cold on deck in the morning at 6:30 am...the wind was blowing. DS went back to the cabin to put on his long underwear pants and was much happier. I wore a cami, a long sleeved smart wool shirt, a furry fleece vest, my fleece pullover, and my raincoat. I also had on a hat, and I pulled my fleece hoodie on AND my raincoat hoodie on. I wore wind stop gloves. I wore my smart wool socks and my hiking boots, which really helped my feet and my core stay warm. I was wearing lined leggings and probably could have been more comfortable with a pair of jeans over those...or something else. As soon as the sun came out though...I was fine.

Seward was rainy and overcast and chilly on debarkation day.

Traveling to Anchorage that day, Anchorage was sunny and warm.

Traveling back into the Kenai Peninsula...it was overcast and had been raining, but the weather was on the clear and we had some clouds and a lot sunshine. There could be rain that could be described as the sky was dripping. The weather was warm and lovely on the Peninsula.

We were back in Seward over the weekend as well. It was also warm and sunny there. The locals were calling the 75+ degree weather a heat wave and were wearing shorts and spaghetti strap tops.

I didn't think to do this until we hit Anchorage on Friday (debarkation day):

IMG_2207.jpg

Saturday Kenai Peninsula (this was taken in the evening...the high was higher earlier in the day):

IMG_2210.jpg

Sunday Kenai Peninsula:

IMG_2211.jpg

Sunday Seward...again in the evening...it was much warmer earlier in the day (I don't know why the actual high of the 24 hour day goes away if you pass by it):

IMG_2212.jpg

Monday Anchorage:

IMG_2214.jpg

I was just thinking about you today!

So it sounds like you had very good weather and packed well.

Did you accomplish to do and see everything you were hoping too? How was the ship? And any and all other details please!!! Haha. We are about 13 days to go now so the excitement is really kicking in!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

It was fun!! Rather exhausting in a way, but very, very fun.

I've been working on a Trip Report. I started well before we left...talking all about my process in planning our vacation. And now I'm writing the actual review portion of the report. Nessie, if you are interested:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641355

It was fun!! Rather exhausting in a way, but very, very fun.

I've been working on a Trip Report. I started well before we left...talking all about my process in planning our vacation. And now I'm writing the actual review portion of the report. Nessie, if you are interested:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641355

Thanks for the link! Looks like I have a bit of reading to catch up on haha

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I'm back from my cruise today! Had a wonderful time and we ended up having weather in the 70's!!! Did not end up wearing any of my warmer clothing other than some Jeans and light zip up hoodie while on deck at night.

So what everyone says about layers and variety is true. You just never know what you will get. We actually ended up with a little tan because we got to spend so much time at the pool!

• 4 weeks later...

Just over a week until we leave and I cannot figure out which dress I want to bring:confused:

I have too many choices, for evenings I'm bringing a merlot Eileen Fisher jersey dress and either a black tank (misook) or black long sleeve silk jersey (eileen fisher)

I have warmth layers (scarves, cardigans) on my packing list, so I'm not too worried about it being too cold. Or too hot to wear the long sleeve. But I just can't decide.

Any justifications for one over the other? My husband has a slight preference for the tank dress but otherwise liked all the dresses I made him watch me try on last night ;p

Doing more packing today - making sure the medical bag is stocked, pulling out my toiletries, grabbing the warmth layers and other items that aren't in use in my wardrobe for the next week....

888872299_blackmisooktankdress.jpeg.014f50ee527ac5be8d0bc28f56a7ffe9.jpeg

439922887_BlackEFsilkLSdress.jpg.f1d1d21c9f8c05bc839a6a8acb7f2826.jpg

1411351870_maroonEFjerseydress.jpg.1da0c748ec5ef75a4d1303f0df54ea19.jpg

Good morning:), I agree......the longer sleeves would be my preference. And I love the Merlot color:D

Also, wishing you a great cruise and I really want your thoughts about Seabourn when you return (please:))

I have sailed with Silversea twice and I know they are supposed to be on the same level. I am looking at them

for a cruise and value your opinion.

Thanks so much:)

I love the Merlot dress. Either of the black ones.

Yeah, this right there is my problem :hearteyes:Color theme of the trip is black, white & merlot/maroon.

The tank would be a little easier to mix & match accessories on (anything I bring will be worn more than once) but I'm having such a hard time deciding, I worry I'll fall into the "just pack both" trap. Argh! Thanks for the input!

Lois - we are so looking forward to trying Seabourn!!! I'll definitely report back!!! This was originally supposed to be Oceania (another line we want to try - my in-laws are currently on their 2nd Oceania cruise and having a blast, with a 3rd booked later in the fall) But we found this Seabourn itinerary - same length as Oceania and just a tiny but more $, so we opted for that. Still want to try Oceania. And Silversea. So many choices, so little time (and budget, and vacation days :'))

A tough decision between the 2 black dresses. The tank is nice because you could wear it as is in the evening on the ship or add a top over to change the look.

The Merlot is really pretty-all great choices. Wishing you a very enjoyable cruise-Alaska is amazing!