The "What If" and "Just in Case" blues

CasaM

So, I have to ask: what did you use the rubber gloves for?

Haha I forgot about this post, but I had to dig through trash for a piece of jewelry that dropped. I remember looking at it, and thinking... "I don't want to do this..." Then I remembered the disposable rubber gloves (thanks Mom:D:D:D!) I found the piece of jewelry in question, disposed of the gloves, used sanitizer AND washed my hands and jewelry, put the jewelry into a plastic zip lock bag and back into my luggage to take home for a thourough cleaning LOL. Disposable rubber gloves have been in my luggage faithfully ever since.;)

I have actually used the gloves recently to protect my manicured hands when I wanted to participate in an onboard painting class.:)

tmee

Haha I forgot about this post, but I had to dig through trash for a piece of jewelry that dropped. I remember looking at it, and thinking... "I don't want to do this..." Then I remembered the disposable rubber gloves (thanks Mom:D:D:D!) I found the piece of jewelry in question, disposed of the gloves, used sanitizer AND washed my hands and jewelry, put the jewelry into a plastic zip lock bag and back into my luggage to take home for a thourough cleaning LOL. Disposable rubber gloves have been in my luggage faithfully ever since.;)

I have actually used the gloves recently to protect my manicured hands when I wanted to participate in an onboard painting class.:)

tmee

Ha! Thanks - both of those are really good reasons to pack rubber gloves. You never know!

Ha! Thanks - both of those are really good reasons to pack rubber gloves. You never know!

A rubber glove (depending on type) could also be filled with ice and tied off to form a make shift ice pack if feeling ill or have a minor ache/pain.

Beautifully said! This is what I do now too. I only pack things that I know I'm going to use because I've used them in the past. If I'm convinced I can live without something...I just don't take it.

I think most of us are on the same page.

The down side of packing lightish ......we've done 2+ months in Europe (cruise plus land: 2 people, 2 rolling suitcases, 2 backpacks) and you always have what you need in that amount of luggage. However, after 2 months, even with those two good sized suitcases you really REALLY get tired of the same clothes week after week after week after week. Then again, once home, you open your closet and get so excited: "OOOOH, I forgot about this....and I can wear THIS.....oh, I've missed this SO MUCH....".

• 1 month later...

Tops on my list of What Ifs is a course of prescription antibiotic to treat a UTI. My doctor happily obliges when I call for the Rx. Plus AZO to make the first day bearable. Maybe this is TMI, but I well remember my darling husband spending a good part of an afternoon in Puerto Vallarta on our honeymoon searching for a pharmacy/doctor that could help. He spoke no Spanish. He finally came home with something and I have no idea what it was but it helped. That was 30+ years ago and I sure knew he was a keeper, but I decided not to put him through that again. That standby Rx has come in mighty handy over the years.

I always take Motrin, band aids, bactroban, steroid cream, Benadryl, and Pepcid on a trip at a minimum. I usually though just take what I can out of the box and just carry the blister packaging if it comes that way to take up less space. Those are all things i know I’ll use. My mom also taught me to keep a basic sewing kit in your wallet. Some hotels have them for free, there’s a needle and some thread, all packaged up nice and neatly, and fits into a wallet. You never know when you’ll need it. I’ve had to use the sewing kit onmore than one occasion.

Just wondering though, what are you guys all doing with flashlights?

Just wondering though, what are you guys all doing with flashlights?

If you've ever been caught in a building during a power outage (due to whatever reasons) you'd understand! My husband also occasionally uses a light to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night if we can't set up the nightlight appropriately. I travel with a headlamp so I can use it to read in lowlights and in case of emergency. And yes, we've had to use our lights quite often. I use my headlamp probably every trip, for "emergencies" maybe every 5th trip....

Also handy for looking under the bed if something has rolled away. I mean, I keep a mini-maglite in my purse and I use it quite often too! When we do my husband's trade shows, he keeps a mini-maglite in his pocket because he got caught in a convention center during a power outage about 20 years ago. It happens. We like to be prepared ;-)

I also wouldn’t be caught without my flashlight (mini-maglite).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use my phone for my alarm clock, flashlight & camera.

But DON'T forget to put it in airplane mode!!

If you've ever been caught in a building during a power outage (due to whatever reasons) you'd understand! My husband also occasionally uses a light to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night...I travel with a headlamp so I can use it to read in lowlights

The flashlight app on my phone suffices for me. And when traveling, I only read books on the kindle app on my ipad. To each his own.

On a related note, I actually use apps on my phone/ipad for a lot of things I see others mention they pack for travel. A few of the most commonly used ones for me:

-flashlight

-alarm clock

-white noise machine

-books

-travel guides

-city maps and subway maps

My husband (whose kindle is backlit) teases me constantly about my old-fashioned kindle. But I hate reading with backlighting, so as you note - to each her own ;-) I actually bought my first kindle in 2011 to prep for a few long international business trips because I knew I wouldn't be able to bring enough books ;-) Though I still use books at home and always travel with one magazine or book (in case of electronic failure ;-) I like high tech options but am wary of depending solely on it for important things during travel...

My husband (whose kindle is backlit) teases me constantly about my old-fashioned kindle. But I hate reading with backlighting, so as you note - to each her own ;-) I actually bought my first kindle in 2011 to prep for a few long international business trips because I knew I wouldn't be able to bring enough books ;-) Though I still use books at home and always travel with one magazine or book (in case of electronic failure ;-) I like high tech options but am wary of depending solely on it for important things during travel...

Ha! This is me-I travel with one Kindle and sometimes two, but I always have an 'emergency' book along, usually a very long one, in case something happens to the electronics. Silly, I know, but I find it hard to face travel without any reading material.

Yeah, I started the redundancy when you weren't allowed to use a kindle during takeoff/landing, but I've kept it up "just in case". Which is, after all, the topic of this thread ;-) In many places it's possible to find reading material in English. But not always, so....

If power were to go out, I would use a phone only for emergencies. Plus I travel with a couple small but powerful external chargers, so confident I'm good for a week.

So there's your "what if" - you bring external power supplies. I only do that if I'm attending a conference where I might be tweeting all day or other battery usage. Otherwise I just don't care about keeping a phone charged on vacation ;-)

I will use my phone camera sometimes but prefer to travel with my waterproof camera :-)

If you are asking the question "Will I need this?", you probably don't. And if you do, how much more fun is it to shop in a foreign port? Ask the question "Will this make or break my trip?". I think you'll know the answer. ;p Enjoy your cruise.

So there's your "what if" - you bring external power supplies. I only do that if I'm attending a conference where I might be tweeting all day or other battery usage. Otherwise I just don't care about keeping a phone charged on vacation ;-)

I will use my phone camera sometimes but prefer to travel with my waterproof camera :-)

LOL those chargers are in my purse at all times (I don't carry a large purse). We travel a lot, so they just go.

I have found my phone to occasionally just loose power quicker than usual...so I'm always prepared.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a major over-packer but I've been packing less and less. Next cruise I'm even going to try packing in a carry-on and large tote bag and purse. I too have a first aid kit that I never travel without but it's very compact. I try to buy clothes for traveling that can be rolled up and never need ironing. My biggest test is next weekend when I'll be traveling to Colorado Springs for my niece's baby shower in an under-the-seat suitcase with no other item such as a tote or purse. I'm traveling on Spirit Airlines and so that's all I can carry. Trust me...it's been a challenge deciding what to pack for the four nights and three days I'll be gone. However, I think I've nailed it! And no...I won't be repeating any clothing except for a pair of jeans I'll travel to and from CA in. I'll let you all know how it worked out.

next weekend when I'll be traveling to Colorado Springs for my niece's baby shower in an under-the-seat suitcase with no other item such as a tote or purse. I'm traveling on Spirit Airlines and so that's all I can carry. Trust me...it's been a challenge deciding what to pack for the four nights and three days I'll be gone.

You can do this! One other basic bottom piece besides the jeans you'll be wearing, a couple of mix and match tops, a couple of underwear, minimal toiletries. Maybe a skirt or lightweight dress for the baby shower? Not sure how dressy the event is. Add wallet, phone and charger, and you can still probably fit a kindle or ipad. Should be easily able to fit in a small under-seat bag.

I once did a 3 night cruise in a zippered Vera Bradley tote bag that fit under the seat:

-Wore a knit sundress and flip flops (nice ones, not shower thongs) on the plane. Sundress became my pool cover-up, flip flops my only daytime shoes

-Packed a single swimsuit and a few pair of underwear.

-Packed a maxi dress, white capris, 2 tops, 1 pair of white sandals for the 3 evenings. No jewelry besides what I wore.

-Packed very minimal toiletries/make-up...3-1-1 bag for liquids, another same size for non-liquids + Phone/ipad/charger

-Mostly lived in swimsuit/cover-up during the day, but did have room in the tote for a pair of shorts and a tank

It felt very liberating to board a ship with nothing more than this tote bag!