snorkeling at cococay

you only have to sign up for an excursion if you want to. we took our own equipment and went out on our on. you can rent life jackets....don't remember how much they were...we didn't go out very deep so we didn't need them. Seems like they were no more than 20 bucks. Have a great time we did :)

We want to take our own snorkeling equipment to cococay but have a couple of questions. Do we need to sign up for a shore excursion type of thing and how much is it to rent life jackets? Thanks!

RCCL says it is mandatory to use a snorkel vest there if you are snorkeling. I bought my own on the Internet several years ago and it is a good investment just for peace of mind even though I don't put air in it. I have it for visibility as much as anything and most tours now require them. In Cayman when I snorklel on my own I feel better about having it in case I need it.

Now the best snorkeling in CoCo is out away from the beach, in fact the snorkeling near the beach is not good. Snorkel out to where the lifeguard is seating on a chair on a floating platform, worth the swim out there for sure, btw I think he feeds the fish to attract them.

RCCL will rent you a snorkel vest there and if you don't have one they will tell you you must rent.

Now the best snorkeling in CoCo is out away from the beach, in fact the snorkeling near the beach is not good. Snorkel out to where the lifeguard is seating on a chair on a floating platform, worth the swim out there for sure, btw I think he feeds the fish to attract them.

Yeah, the water is pretty cloudy until you get out a good 50 yards or so. I was thinking this is awful then all of a sudden it cleared up and there was a reef.

from what I've read, a vest is required and costs $6 to rent. Here are the directions for where to go that I have located from the boards (if you are going out on your own):

1. Snorkeled CocoCay July 19th, '09. There are three lifeguard piers in the snorkeling area. Each pier has a sunken object that has a lot of fish.

When looking out from the beach, the pier in the middle has a sunken airplane many fish in this area. Pier on the right has part of a ship.

The lifeguards throw food into the water when you're around the pier, so you'll see a lot of fish up close and personal.

The drop off area is on the left between the two sets of rocks. You must go in between the rocks and you'll see the dropoff. The current is a lot stronger out there as well. I saw about 4 sting-rays and a fished that looked like a Barracuda (not a fish expert so I don't know), sea turtles, octopus, nurse shark and various fish.

This was only my 2nd time snorkeling in my life. I tested the equipment by the piers and then spent the most of my time past the rocks (drop off area).

You HAVE to do a 3-5 minute orientation on the beach and the tour guide will go over the areas again with a map of the snorkeling area.

2. Just got back. Snorkeling on CocoCay was great! We did it on our own. The swim out to the lifeguard station where the airplane was is a long way. We only saw 2 kinds of fish there. The best place was on the left side of the beach where the rocks are. They will tell you where to go. It's inbetween the 2 rock formations. We saw over 30 different kinds of fish. Some were very small, and some were really big. The biggest one was over a foot and a half long and a foot tall. I don't know the name of the fish, but it was pretty. If you look under the sides of the rocks, you will see the smaller ones. We even saw some of the spiny creatures that live there. That area isn't deep and you can easily stand on different rocks. It's a great place for the whole family to snorkel. It's a large area, so it's not crowded. There's a couple of bouys that marks the edge of the area, so you know how far you can go.

In designated areas, no more than 5 ft...deeper under the lifeguard stand around 10 feet...and even deeper as commented on above 15 ft at the drop off. If you do your snorkeling in other areas, you will not be approached by anyone about a vest. We saw lots of critters and we only own our own fins/mask/snorkel, no vest. Weren't required to do any lecture, but we are certified divers. If you are unfamiliar with snorkeling or diving, I would suggest doing it. Coco Cay is a great snorkeling op, lots of critters. Even lion fish under the guard tower, but do not go near one, they are poisonous.

180px-MC_Rotfeuerfisch.jpgGood snorkeling in the sport beach area where you can rent the sunfish sailboats, etc. We found an octopus hiding in the coral there and lots of others, dinner plate sized starfish in 2 feet of water.

Hi! I have a quick question. I can't swim (most importantly, I can't tread water) but I really like to snorkel with a vest on. I went to Coco Cay in 2001 and snorkeled for about an hour. I was near the plane but didn't go under so I didn't really see it. I leave my vest pretty inflated and just snorkel on the surface. For a non-swimmer, its a huge thrill!:D My question is, since the snorkeling has clearly improved a lot here, do you think I'll be okay in the area with the rocks? It sounds great with lots of sea life! I'm just afraid that if there is a strong current I'm going to get carried out or something.:o I recall I was snorkeling for so long that I got tired and out of breath but found a rock I could stand on on my toes (I'm only 5' tall) and catch my breath. I actually contemplated waving my arms for help back to shore but I just kind of slowly floated/paddled in. Now I just know to pace myself and breathe correctly. Anyhow - just wanted to know if you think its a safe spot for a non-swimmer like me!

Hi! I have a quick question. I can't swim (most importantly, I can't tread water) but I really like to snorkel with a vest on. I went to Coco Cay in 2001 and snorkeled for about an hour. I was near the plane but didn't go under so I didn't really see it. I leave my vest pretty inflated and just snorkel on the surface. For a non-swimmer, its a huge thrill!:D My question is, since the snorkeling has clearly improved a lot here, do you think I'll be okay in the area with the rocks? It sounds great with lots of sea life! I'm just afraid that if there is a strong current I'm going to get carried out or something.:o I recall I was snorkeling for so long that I got tired and out of breath but found a rock I could stand on on my toes (I'm only 5' tall) and catch my breath. I actually contemplated waving my arms for help back to shore but I just kind of slowly floated/paddled in. Now I just know to pace myself and breathe correctly. Anyhow - just wanted to know if you think its a safe spot for a non-swimmer like me!

I think anyone who doesn't swim should not be in the ocean alone. You need to either take swimming lessons before your next cruise or make sure someone who is a competent swimmer is with you! With swim fins on you should have no problem swimming back into shore even without using your arms. Most divers do not use arms to propel themselves through the water. Fins are important in the ocean. Snorkel vests are primarily used for visual identification so boats won't run over you and to keep you floating if you get tired. You can actually float just as well without the vest in shallow water, but I'm afraid if I were you, I would go to the nearest YMCA and get lessons. It's not hard to learn to swim. If you are caught in a rip tide or a strong current, a vest will not help you. You need to know how to swim well and what to do in order to escape one of these ocean phenomonons. If you venture outside the usual snorkeling areas even in Coco Cay, there is the possibility that a guard would not see you. Take a friend or learn to swim. Even so, it's not a good idea to be alone. You could get a cramp and need real help. Not flaming you, just want you to be safe.

I think anyone who doesn't swim should not be in the ocean alone. You need to either take swimming lessons before your next cruise or make sure someone who is a competent swimmer is with you! With swim fins on you should have no problem swimming back into shore even without using your arms. Most divers do not use arms to propel themselves through the water. Fins are important in the ocean. Snorkel vests are primarily used for visual identification so boats won't run over you and to keep you floating if you get tired. You can actually float just as well without the vest in shallow water, but I'm afraid if I were you, I would go to the nearest YMCA and get lessons. It's not hard to learn to swim. If you are caught in a rip tide or a strong current, a vest will not help you. You need to know how to swim well and what to do in order to escape one of these ocean phenomonons. If you venture outside the usual snorkeling areas even in Coco Cay, there is the possibility that a guard would not see you. Take a friend or learn to swim. Even so, it's not a good idea to be alone. You could get a cramp and need real help. Not flaming you, just want you to be safe.

Don't worry - I don't feel flamed by that post! It is actually very sweet of you to be looking out for me! :D I did take beginners swimming in my college but failed the tread test (got a B in the class, though :)). I lived in Miami Beach for a year right on the ocean and could do a little swimming, but again - no treading. I've snorkeled at CocoCay, Mexico twice and gone to water parks and everything - but worn an inflated vest the whole time. I plan on having my bf with me who is a great watchman of me in the water! I promise I won't be alone in the deep water at all!

Believe it or not - it is hard to learn how to swim as an adult. Most folks (those that can swim) assume its natural or easy but I swear its really not. It probably has more to do with fear (I once was drowning to the point that I needed resuscitation as a child) than actual skill but I can attest - it's definitely not easy! lol:p In light of your post I'll make sure I snorkel close to the shore, just in case! Thank you!

If you have never used a snorkel before, yes. 10 or 15 minutes cannot hurt and there are a few techniques that could help a beginner, such as how to successfully clear your snorkel, etc. Excuse me, I just reread your post, I am not recommending the excursion, never done it, I am recommending you get simple instruction lecture they give with the snorkel equipment rental. Again, as I have previously stated, a wonderful snorkel is the 'Dry snorkel' I purchased from Herringtonscatalogue dot com. I never have to clear it, no water whatsoever gets in my mouth. If you are constantly having to clear your snorkel, you can get quite tired easily. I can snorkel for hours with this one and never tire. I'll be using it the whole day next week on Coco Cay...leaving Thursday for Majesty...woohoo:D

Most folks (those that can swim) assume its natural or easy but I swear its really not. It probably has more to do with fear (I once was drowning to the point that I needed resuscitation as a child) than actual skill but I can attest - it's definitely not easy! lol:p In light of your post I'll make sure I snorkel close to the shore, just in case! Thank you!

Princess, I guess it seems so simple when you've swum like a fish from age 4 (that's the truth) and hard to understand how an adult could think it difficult. I really think you should go and get some real expert lessons on water safety. Our dive master taught treading and floating. You have to tread for 30 minutes and float for 15 minutes to get certified in a Padi course. Unless you are just a stick person, you should be able to float on your back and breath normally in calm water with no problem. Really thin people have more trouble with this than normal people with a little fat content;) but I feel your fear would evaporate after some good lessons with the proper teacher. Go for it.

Princess, I guess it seems so simple when you've swum like a fish from age 4 (that's the truth) and hard to understand how an adult could think it difficult. I really think you should go and get some real expert lessons on water safety. Our dive master taught treading and floating. You have to tread for 30 minutes and float for 15 minutes to get certified in a Padi course. Unless you are just a stick person, you should be able to float on your back and breath normally in calm water with no problem. Really thin people have more trouble with this than normal people with a little fat content;) but I feel your fear would evaporate after some good lessons with the proper teacher. Go for it.

I think I'm going to see if the Y near me has someone to give me lessons before the cruise. It would be WONDERFUL to be able to swim and not worry!

I know what you mean about thinking its easy. I'm an artist and can draw things in a very life-like way. When friends see my stuff and say 'oh, I can't do that' or 'I could never draw like that' I always tell them they could learn. I know anyone can be taught to draw - I've seen it time and again. But since for me it just comes completely natural - it seems hard to understand - it really is very easy to just draw what you see! But I of course do understand, after some thought.:)

If you have never used a snorkel before, yes. 10 or 15 minutes cannot hurt and there are a few techniques that could help a beginner, such as how to successfully clear your snorkel, etc. Excuse me, I just reread your post, I am not recommending the excursion, never done it, I am recommending you get simple instruction lecture they give with the snorkel equipment rental. Again, as I have previously stated, a wonderful snorkel is the 'Dry snorkel' I purchased from Herringtonscatalogue dot com. I never have to clear it, no water whatsoever gets in my mouth. If you are constantly having to clear your snorkel, you can get quite tired easily. I can snorkel for hours with this one and never tire. I'll be using it the whole day next week on Coco Cay...leaving Thursday for Majesty...woohoo:D

Thanks for the great tip!

Archived