Sea Sick Medication - Needed or Not?

stefyo

this is our first time cruising - do we need some sort of sea sickness medication?? We have a boat and jet ski so we have been on the water before but never on a cruise ship.

if you think we need something could you recommend something and where we can find it??

Thanks!!! :D

if you keep worrying about getting sea sick you ll probably get sick.:D

but, don t worry..they ll be pills of some sort at the front desk or med. ctr..if you re really concerned you could pick some up befor departure..they available just about everywhere in town..

i was concern d as well on our first cruise..not only did i fear getting sea sick i was worried i would nt have a good time..wrong on both accounts..the ship is so big with so many activities that at times i forgot we were miles from

land..

Hi!

Hubby, the kids and I will ALL be taking/using some form of seasick product. We really don't get seasick, but it has happened once or twice, plus the kids get nautious in the car sometimes. So we aren't taking any chances. I'd rather take the precaution than risk the chance of having to be layed up feeling horrible on my vacation.

I would suggest the same for you, just to be safe. You can use Dramamine or those Sea Bands that you wear on your wrists. I'm sure there are other types, but that is what we would use.

Happy sailing! :D

Ave

I get the patch. Transderm Scop. It goes behind your ear. But I get sick on the airplane. I wear the patch and when I get back on the ship I have to take a sea sick pill, too. That's how bad I am. But if I do that, I'm fine. If you usually don't get sick, just bringing motion sickness pills with you will be good enough. They also have them on board if you don't have any. Good luck & enjoy.

Lynett:D

I've never had to take it and as someone said earlier, if you think you're going to get sick you will. If you get sick riding in the front seat of a car, then take some meds. If you get sick riding on an airplane, then take some meds. If you get sick riding on anything, then take some meds. I've seen people get sick on cruiselines from the Norovirus than from getting sea sick. The ship is huge and you can barely tell that it's even moving. All the ships have stabilizers for a smooth ride.

Ginger pills. You can get them from a natural foods store. The problem with Dramanine is that it will make you sleepy and you will want to crash in your stateroom for most of the afternoon. There was a Myth Busters back several years ago and they conducted experiments on all of the methods of controlling motion sickness. They were able to show that ginger pills worked just as well if not better that the others. Oh, you can also get fresh ginger shavings at the Sushi Bar in the evening. We will be taking our jar of ginger pills when we leave in Feb. 09. We brought them on the last cruise and would just take them to be safe. Once you get sea sickness, you will have a problems keeping anything down. Get some fresh air, reference the horizon and eat some saltines. Good luck. Oh, also mind over matter helps as well.

We take ginger pills w/ us and bonine (non drowsy). Last cruise I don't think we took any after the 1st day and never needed it. Wish I had taken it on our stingray tour as 1 lady got really green and could have used the ginger. I think it works great w/ no side effects. Like someone said, better to have it and not need it.

this is our first time cruising - do we need some sort of sea sickness medication?? We have a boat and jet ski so we have been on the water before but never on a cruise ship.

if you think we need something could you recommend something and where we can find it??

Thanks!!! :D

Bonine.

Bring it just in case. It works like a charm. ;)

We usually take bonine before we sail the first day and also bring ginger tablets, both are availabe at any discount store or pharmacy. We've had a couple of trips that were a little rough in spots but never really need the bonine after the 2nd day. As several have said "Better safe than sorry".

That's why I also bring imodium, pepsid AC, bandaids, antibotics, creams, and any other cures for what might ail you. :rolleyes::p:)

Take some stuff with you just in case like non-drowsy dramamine and some kind of ginger (I love ginger Altoids) but don't worry about it. You may not be bothered at all - people seem to either be prone to seasickness or not.

I've always taken this stuff with me on cruises "just in case" but have never had the slightest bit of motion sickness - even when we came through 20 foot seas in May and half the ship was stuck in their rooms sick.

When I get a queasy tummy at home, though, I swear by those ginger Altoids. They are kind of hard to find - I think I got my last tin at the Fresh Market.

I used to go on my girlfriends boat and never got sick. It wasn't big but it was a 24 or 26 baylines. It was medium. I went on my first cruise on Disney for 7 days. I was sick the whole time. It didn't help that the waves were awful. I was thankful on Disney they had 2 bathrooms because one toilet was mine. I learned. Now I use the transderm scop patch too. I get mine a couple months ahead. Last year everywhere was all out of it. It took me over a month to get them in. Husband used to use them too but now he is okay. He did get sick this past Feb on Carnival freedom He actually stayed in the room. Only 1 nite. I am okay on a plane. No problems. My sister did the bands & ginger candy. They were fine.

I use the patch that goes behind the ear. When i went on the fantasy i could tell i was moving the whole time, however i only had the voyager to compare it to and the fantasy is quite a bit smaller. It was particularly rough on both cruises but there were times on the fantasy i practically fell over from the swaying. I have crappy balance so its not all the ships fault. I have never gotten seasick, but i have never tried going without the patch. I have no side effects from it so would rather be safe than sorry. You replace it every 3 days. I called my drs office and they called it in. On the fantasy i forgot to replace it after 3 days and didnt realize it til the last night so i didnt worry about it and i was fine. It cant hurt to take something for backup just in case. I would use caution going to the clinic for sea sick pills just because they might think it is something other than sea sickness. With the flus going around you never know what they will think. It would suck to get quarantined to your room b/c they dont believe it is sea sickness. JMO

I'm worried about this also. When should I call the DR?

No need to call a Doctor. Bonine is readily available over the counter. I found it at Walmart and Target. Most drugstore type places should carry it.

I went on my first cruise last year and even though I've never had issues with motion sickness before, the minute we started to pull away from the dock I started feeling queasy. I took one of the Bonine and the feeling almost immediately went away. I took one each day for the rest of the cruise and had no trouble at all.

I'm not sure it if was all in my head, :rolleyes: But, regardless...it worked for me. I'd definitely bring some along even if you have never had motion sickness issues before. Also, I'm a "lightweight" when it comes to meds and I never felt the slightest bit drowsy. :)

Since you are fine on a boat and jet ski it is unlikely that you will need it on a much more stable cruise ship.

In my personal experience, I did NOT find this to be true. I have never had any trouble with motion sickness on our ski boat or waverunner. The motion on a cruise ship is just different, I guess? It bothered me almost immediately.

Just pack some Bonine :). Better safe than sorry.

In my personal experience, I did NOT find this to be true. I have never had any trouble with motion sickness on our ski boat or waverunner. The motion on a cruise ship is just different, I guess? It bothered me almost immediately.

Just pack some Bonine :). Better safe than sorry.

Ditto...I've never had any problems in a plane or on any other size of boat. But there is something about the slow roll of a cruise ship that throws me for a loop. Fortunately the non drowsy dramamine works great and quickly. :cool:

Ginger pills. You can get them from a natural foods store. The problem with Dramanine is that it will make you sleepy and you will want to crash in your stateroom for most of the afternoon. There was a Myth Busters back several years ago and they conducted experiments on all of the methods of controlling motion sickness. They were able to show that ginger pills worked just as well if not better that the others. Oh, you can also get fresh ginger shavings at the Sushi Bar in the evening. We will be taking our jar of ginger pills when we leave in Feb. 09. We brought them on the last cruise and would just take them to be safe. Once you get sea sickness, you will have a problems keeping anything down. Get some fresh air, reference the horizon and eat some saltines. Good luck. Oh, also mind over matter helps as well.

I second that on the Ginger pills. I get motion sickness really easy and on our last cruise I tried Ginger with great success. Just take one cap every day!

Just remember, Bonnine and Dramamine work much better if taken at least 2 hours before you sail. It is much harder to get relief after you start to feel ill. I am first time cruising for Halloween and plan on taking meclizine (Bonnine generic) the morning we sail and ginger pills before boarding the ship. I'd much rather be safe than sorry. Many people use the Scopalamine patches without side effects but there can be some serious ones. Scop can also make you forget... as in not remembering your cruise experience very well. I don't think I want to chance that. I've been looking foward to this too long.

Archived