Carrying passport or a copy

NewSalt

On our recent cruise, a couple of our friends carried a copy of their passport when they left the ship in foreign ports, not the original passports. They said this way they didn't have to worry about having them stolen.

It didn't seem to me that this would be anything more than an aid in getting a replacement passport a little more quickly (we always have copies in our luggage, JIC) rather than something that would really be of immediate use in a real emergency such as being left in port.

Any comments on how whether this is a good practice or not?

Many people carry just copies (in case they are lost or stolen).... Funny how nobody ever reports "My copies of my passport were lost or stolen":eek:

Myself,,, I carry my original passport, my original credit cards, my original cash money anytime I'm out and about.

I leave the passport in the safe and carry the copy. I figure there is a better chance of theft than there is of missing the ship. Even if I miss the ship, the cruise line will attempt to get the passport and give it to the port agent.

Can the ship's personnel get into your safe to retrieve your passport that easily? In an instance of a tour's late return or a companion's injury, you could, of course, call them and give them the combination but it seems there would a long delay in getting it back to you.

This question is asked often, and generally generates spirited, and frequently nasty debate.

You can't fly with a copy. But a copy obviously should make your life a little easier if you have to go to the embassy and try to get a replacement to go home.

Whether or not it's a good practice is personal choice. If you're concerned you may miss the ship, you'll certainly feel better having your PP with you.

I've heard here, that SOME cruise lines will go into your safe and leave your PP with their port agent if you don't re-board. Don't know about that. But IF the PURSER ON THE SHIP said that's the way it is, then I wouldn't take mine. When I've asked that on ships, I've received looks that made me think I had Lobsters crawling out of my ears.

We generally don't hang around port. But if we did, I'd likely leave it on the ship. When we take excursions away from the port, if I'm on a Cruise line tour, I leave it in the safe. If I'm on an independent tour, I consider how far away we're going, what time we're getting back, etc..... and then decide what I'm going to do. I've always thought having a copy would be a good thing either way, but I haven't made a copy yet in 4 cruises.

So the bottom line is your own comfort level. If you carry it, and miss the ship, you'll be kissing yourself for having it. If you lose it in port you'll be kicking yourself.

Can the ship's personnel get into your safe to retrieve your passport that easily?

They can get into your safe as easily as getting into your room.

Our safe battery or whatever malfunctioned and we could not open it. Security came up, within about 2 seconds they had it open and fixed it.

Similar thing happened to us, but it took security MUCH longer to get the safe open. I think it took them nearly 30 seconds! We usually carry a copy with us. If somehow that gets lost, stolen, misplaced...oh well......but if your actual passport gets stolen....that ain't good!

Can the ship's personnel get into your safe to retrieve your passport that easily? In an instance of a tour's late return or a companion's injury, you could, of course, call them and give them the combination but it seems there would a long delay in getting it back to you.

No need for your safe's combination, staff can access the safe. Same as any hotel.

If you are not on board when the ship departs, it's normal for crew to search for your passports in the obvious places in your cabin, incl. your safe. They are handed over to the ship's port agent (contact details in the daily news-sheet), either last-thing on the quayside, or later via the pilot's boat.

Pros & cons for carrying your passport ashore have been debated regularly on this forum - basically your passport being lost or stolen ashore vs difficulties in catching up with the ship or returning home without your passport if you miss the sailaway.

If immigration require you to carry your passport ashore, or the ship is holding your passport (for inspection by this or the next port's immigration), there's no debate.

If photo ID is required ashore (immigration requirement at some ports, also ID for eg a major credit card purchase), a photocopy passport does the job. Unless I plan to rent a vehicle I leave my driving licence aboard cos its loss or theft can create similar ID-theft problems, same as a passport.

If there's no requirement one way or the other, then its up to you.

It is widely acknowledged that the risk of loss/theft is much greater than the risk of missing the sailing.

Its debateable which has the greater consequences.

I think mebbe there's some on these boards who over-egg both the risk or the consequences either way. ;)

But do always carry contact details of the ship's port agent, and if you choose to leave your passport aboard do take a photocopy.

JB :)

This question is asked often, and generally generates spirited, and frequently nasty debate.

You can't fly with a copy. But a copy obviously should make your life a little easier if you have to go to the embassy and try to get a replacement to go home.

Whether or not it's a good practice is personal choice. If you're concerned you may miss the ship, you'll certainly feel better having your PP with you.

So the bottom line is your own comfort level. If you carry it, and miss the ship, you'll be kissing yourself for having it. If you lose it in port you'll be kicking yourself.

Spot on. Once someone has a reasonable understanding of the risks and consequences of a) needing passport on shore while it remains on-board and b) taking passport ashore and having it lost/stolen/damaged, they make a decision as to which matters more to them.

What I never understood is WHY posters take it so personally when a total stranger chooses the approach diametrically opposite from their own.

Spot on. Once someone has a reasonable understanding of the risks and consequences of a) needing passport on shore while it remains on-board and b) taking passport ashore and having it lost/stolen/damaged, they make a decision as to which matters more to them.

What I never understood is WHY posters take it so personally when a total stranger chooses the approach diametrically opposite from their own.

Because anybody that disagrees with me is stoooo ...... nevermind.;)

We usually just take a copy ashore when going on a tour. Also we plan on being back to the port two hours before sailing to be on the safe side.

If something happened and you were going to be late call the ships port agent and they can get your passport from your safe and hopefully get it to you.

I've heard here, that SOME cruise lines will go into your safe and leave your PP with their port agent if you don't re-board. Don't know about that.

I asked the Staff Captain (second in command) about that on my last cruise and the answer was that this is not done automaticly.

If you know you are going to miss the ship and call the port agent in time, they will go into your safe and get your passport.

They will not just go in and get if you don't notify them. They will not take the risk that you are on the ship and the computer didn't record your return (it does happen, this is why they page you if the computer shows that you have not returned) and then leave your passport on the pier while you are on the ship.

Lois

Because if you lose your wallet and copy of our passport it can be replaced, a drag but you won't have problems getting on board your airplane, entering the country etc.

Think this thru on a cruise how many people do you think got something stolen versus got left behind. Of those that got left behind what do you think the percentage was "their" fault or out of their control.

I know on my Europen cruise 10 stop, 4000 passengers we only had a couple people miss the boat, I wonder how many got something stolen.

Which percentage do you play and how much do you weigh the aggrivation for each likely outcome.

Oh and for us it has been easy, last few cruise they TOOK the passport, last 3 international trips the hotel TOOK the the passport. We kept a copy for reference and know both port agent # as well as hotel when out an about. I highly doubt local authorities if the come upon a vistor without passport but with info they don't know what to do our how to help.

Many people carry just copies (in case they are lost or stolen).... Funny how nobody ever reports "My copies of my passport were lost or stolen":eek:

Myself,,, I carry my original passport, my original credit cards, my original cash money anytime I'm out and about.

I asked the Staff Captain (second in command) about that on my last cruise and the answer was that this is not done automaticly.

If you know you are going to miss the ship and call the port agent in time, they will go into your safe and get your passport.

They will not just go in and get if you don't notify them. They will not take the risk that you are on the ship and the computer didn't record your return (it does happen, this is why they page you if the computer shows that you have not returned) and then leave your passport on the pier while you are on the ship.

Lois

And I do believe some of the folks that say some lines will take it out of the safe for you. And my point (which I know you got) was that one really won't know what the ship will do unless one asks on the ship in advance.

We have always carried copies since a cruise line asked everyone to take the passport number and place of issue ashore, to help with repatriation.

There are gangs who look for people carrying passports, which can be worth £/$ 1,000s on the black market. I never, ever remove my passport from either the hotel or ship safe unless the port authorities require it eg Egypt, Croatia etc.

Jo.

Thanks for all the opinions and information; they're all helpful. I don't worry too much about being left behind since DH starts to hyperventilate if we're not on the ship at least 1.5 hours before sailaway. It kills me to lose so much time in the wonderful places we visit, but it keeps him happy.

Always a hot topic.

Here's one thing to consider when cruising, taking a photocopy of your passport ashore in a foreign country is just as good as taking a photocopy of your money, and a photocopy of your credit cards. They will all work equally as well in getting you on a plane/train/taxi to meet the ship at the next port should Murphy's Law kick in.

Being an old Boy Scout, I'm always prepared. When I step ashore, I'm prepared in the event I get stuck on the opposite side of the island/county/country and the ship sails without me.

And, since I often include a land-based tour before or after the cruise, I carry my passport/cash/credit cards with me anyway.

Always a hot topic.

Here's one thing to consider when cruising, taking a photocopy of your passport ashore in a foreign country is just as good as taking a photocopy of your money, and a photocopy of your credit cards. They will all work equally as well in getting you on a plane/train/taxi to meet the ship at the next port should Murphy's Law kick in.

Being an old Boy Scout, I'm always prepared. When I step ashore, I'm prepared in the event I get stuck on the opposite side of the island/county/country and the ship sails without me.

And, since I often include a land-based tour before or after the cruise, I carry my passport/cash/credit cards with me anyway.

Each to their own opinion on taking passports ashore.

Cruise lines recommend that you don't, statistics clearly show more lost/stolen passports than folk who miss the sailing, but you're entitled to take the opposite stance if that's what you're comfortable with.

But "taking a photocopy of your passport ashore in a foreign country is just as good as taking a photocopy of your money" ?????

Utter nonsense. :D

Its a pretty good indicator that you are who you say you are, & your passport number, place & date of issue etc avoid delays in re-patriating you if you miss the sailing.

Or indeed, in supplying you with a replacement when you lose the one you've taken ashore. :rolleyes:

So please don't mock the majority of cruisers, who choose to leave their passports aboard & carry a photocopy.

JB :)

Quoting another poster and myself from the dueling thread:

...Then there is the question: Take passport itself, or just a copy? My relative with the State Dept. (who has had passport/visa duty in Asian and European countries) says the latter should be enough -- but again, there are other threads on that, and lots of dispute!

...I produce my passport to various government officials and certain civilian clerks/agents in situations where it is necessary to produce the document. Other than these interactions, my passport is in a hotel or ship safe.

There are a few countries where one is required to carry passports at all times. We comply, but are not at all happy about it.

If I had a relative with the State Department who had passport/visa duty in Asia and European countries and who said carrying a copy around would be sufficient, I would probably give his/her opinion a lot of weight.

It's our choice. I really don't mind if others choose to have their passport in their possession at all times. Really and truly. :)

All in all, I concur with John Bull.

We had a couple of workers fixing a leak in the bathroom. When they had gone we found money missing from the safe. So yes they can get in to it. Their was also English money taken from my dh jacket pocket.:mad:

Archived