Question about carrying on water / wine

nyjoet

I have read you can carry a case of water on board along with wine.....my question is - do they let you take the wine to your room with you (with the water) and then charge you a corking fee in the restaurant or do they take the wine from you when you board and give it back to you later in the restaurant?

I have read you can carry a case of water on board along with wine.....my question is - do they let you take the wine to your room with you (with the water) and then charge you a corking fee in the restaurant or do they take the wine from you when you board and give it back to you later in the restaurant?

I believe you have to pay the corkage fee before you are allowed to board with the wine.

I believe you have to pay the corkage fee before you are allowed to board with the wine.

This statement is true. You will pay the corkage for all of the bottles at the time that you board the ship. You can then take all of it to your room and you are free to consume it anywhere on board.

This statement is true. You will pay the corkage for all of the bottles at the time that you board the ship. You can then take all of it to your room and you are free to consume it anywhere on board.

That is exactly right, and to the point.

But, since this has not been bashed about for at least a week, some other questions will come forth, for sure.

Fee is $15 for a 750ml bottle - normal size. Generally double for larger bottle.

You can drink it anywhere you want.

If your TA or somebody buys you wine as a gift, there is not corkage fee.

Does not matter if there is a cork or not, or if anyone helps you open it.

If you leave in your checked bag, and they see it via x-ray, they will hold the bag and you have to go get it later.

And there are better ways of getting excercise than lugging a case of water around. There is water on the ship and it is safe for humans to drink.

Not only safe, but as good as the water that comes out of my RO system at home

Not only safe, but as good as the water that comes out of my RO system at home

I read that many times before my Epic TA so I did not bring any water. Big mistake! The water was not good - I only drink bottled water due to where I live so perhaps my tastes are different than most. Before I lived where I do I always drank filtered water as well.

I ended up buying one of the water packages on the ship. YMMV

I read that many times before my Epic TA so I did not bring any water. Big mistake! The water was not good - I only drink bottled water due to where I live so perhaps my tastes are different than most. Before I lived where I do I always drank filtered water as well.

I ended up buying one of the water packages on the ship. YMMV

They have a water pkg? Do you recall how much? I drink a lot of water but don't want to carry on a case.

They have a water pkg? Do you recall how much? I drink a lot of water but don't want to carry on a case.

I don't remember for sure - I bought it at one of the bars. It was 6 of the large bottles - i think it was less than $4 a bottle. Not as cheap as bringing your own but far more convenient. I remember my husband didn't

b@tch at the price so it couldn't have been that bad! :rolleyes:

I've seen it in the dailies. It was a bar special and it was like the beer bucket. It was 6 for the price of 5. Since the bottles are usually...what?...$5.25 a bottle? I don't know for sure, since I don't buy them. Anyway, you get a discount by buying them that way aboard, but it's still outrageously high, compared to what you could purchase them for ashore.

If someone really doesn't like the water aboard (which I find odd, since it's pure water...maybe someone doesn't like the lack of mineral flavors?), the two things I can suggest is to flavor the water with a little lemon or whatever appeals OR to actually lug it aboard. But...just my two cents, it's a heck of a lot easier to put the water in a rolling duffel or a rolling cooler than it is to carry it around. Unless you're traveling with a cart, it's just not worth it to lug it around, in my experience of traveling with a boss who was phobic about drinking local water. :eek: I used to use a rolling cart for hers.

DML

OK - so I know the rules about bringing wine onboard and paying the corkage. Are there rules on bringing spirits on board ?

We like to have a gin and tonic or two of an evening whilst getting ready, I know you can arrange for a bottle in the room, but the prices seem quite steep, so just wondering if I can bring a bottle on board and pay for the privalige ?

Fig

OK - so I know the rules about bringing wine onboard and paying the corkage. Are there rules on bringing spirits on board ?

We like to have a gin and tonic or two of an evening whilst getting ready, I know you can arrange for a bottle in the room, but the prices seem quite steep, so just wondering if I can bring a bottle on board and pay for the privalige ?

Fig

Sorry but no. All alcohol other than wine is prohibited and will be confiscated if found during the check-in process.

Sorry but no. All alcohol other than wine is prohibited and will be confiscated if found during the check-in process.

If it's in the original, unopened container, you'll get it back when you leave the ship. If they find it in a rum runner or the bottle is already cracked, they will pour it out.

Your options?

Get a bar setup. If you're in a GV, DOS, or OS (on the ships that have those designations), three or six bottles and mixers are included in your room, but others can pay for bottles aboard and get a full bottle in the room. It's expensive, but it's possible.

Purchase drinks at the bars and restaurants, paying for individual drinks.

Or...if you think you'll drink enough to make it worth your while, get the UBP. BUT...all the adults on the same payment method have to buy it, not just one...and it has to be purchased for the entire cruise, not just sea days.

DML

Fig

Yes, there are rules.

Actually, it's pretty much much just one rule.

Regarding water...I would definitely carry on water after what just happened to me on the Pearl with their filtered water. I blew up like a balloon with edema. Could not see my ankles and felt like I was squishing around as I walked. If I had not met a teenager on board with the same problem, I would have been very concerned (I am in my 40's, but still!) I have never had this happen on a cruise before and I have taken many. The water tasted great, but I have since read that it is desalinized and still has a ton of salt in it. During the cruise, I had no idea what was causing it. So definitely drink bottled!

For anyone who may have sailed on the Epic, I have a few questions please.

I recall reading that there are shops at the Port of Barcelona is that so?

Would anyone recall if there is an opportunity to purchase a case of water bottles there?

Are the shops before or after security and can a tag be put on a case there and have it sent to the room?

I looked at a recent epic daily that a CC poster was kind enough to share. The water package available at any open bar is 6 bottles for $21.95. I assume service charge of 15 % and 10 % VAT is added? Thats $4.57 per bottle:eek:

Are these larger bottles(eg 1 litre)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Archived