The King And Queen Of The Chair Hogs!

Spaniel Lover

I'm currently onboard the Norwegian Getaway and just came back from the fireworks show up on deck 16 at the Spice H2O area. The open deck was jammed full with hundreds and hundreds of people all crowding in to this area to get a view of the fireworks show, which was scheduled to start at 10:45 PM.

We arrived at 10:15 in order to find a decent place to sit or stand to see the fireworks. All the seats were taken by that time, and so it was standing room only throughout the entire area. However, over in the far corner I spotted what looked like two empty seats... which I assumed someone was saving for a friend or relative who hadn't arrived yet.

My wife and I walked over to that corner to verify that the seats were indeed being saved. Someone had placed a shawl or sweatshirt or something on the chair to indicate that it was taken. I decided to move those two seats forward just a tiny bit so that there would be enough room for my wife and I to stand behind them. As soon as I touched the chairs, a woman snarled at me that those seats were taken. I didn't respond or even look towards the woman... I simply maneuvered in to the space behind those two saved chairs and stood there for the rest of the lead-in to the fireworks show.

The chairs remained empty the entire time, and the woman waved off anyone that dare come anywhere near them. Finally, when an announcement was made that the fireworks show was about two minutes from starting... and the chairs were still empty... the woman did the most outrageous act of chair hogging I've ever seen on a cruise ship! It was incredible!

With the show two minutes away from starting, and the chairs having sat empty for at least a half an hour, the woman must have started to realize that whoever she was saving them for wasn't going to show up after all. So, rather than apologize to the people around her and to offer the chairs to any of the elderly people standing in the area, here's what the woman decided to do: she took the two chairs that she and her husband were sitting on and stacked them on top of the two empty chairs... and then she and her husband sat on them so that NO ONE could have the two unused chairs!

I snapped a photo... because I wanted all my friends on CruiseCritic to be able to see what I think must have been one of the most outrageous chair hogging incidents in the history of cruising! If we had a chair hogging wall of shame, this picture would surely go on it!

ChairHogs-IMG_5373.JPG

I hereby nominate these two fine folks to be the King and Queen of the Chair Hogs!

I am so sick of people In general being so self absorbed does no one anymore care about others around them? They would have been appalled at anyone doing the same thing. Everyone is on vacation to have a good time let others enjoy too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Dear Spaniel Lover,

I second your motion on the ocean! Where do some get a notion? It may be they took a pill and/or potion.

My question where is the Highly Paid Staff? :eek:

Laws are a wonderful thing made usually by a legislature in our land. Enforcement is lax not like in the Bermuda Islands. Thats where they make laws and enforce them.

Why not on the Cruise Ships where as paying passengers with no class distinction , only cabin, we have rights too..

These laggards you show it sure tells about the persons character or lack of it.

Do you show AKC and UKC?

I'm currently onboard the Norwegian Getaway and just came back from the fireworks show up on deck 16 at the Spice H2O area. The open deck was jammed full with hundreds and hundreds of people all crowding in to this area to get a view of the fireworks show, which was scheduled to start at 10:45 PM.

We arrived at 10:15 in order to find a decent place to sit or stand to see the fireworks. All the seats were taken by that time, and so it was standing room only throughout the entire area. However, over in the far corner I spotted what looked like two empty seats... which I assumed someone was saving for a friend or relative who hadn't arrived yet.

My wife and I walked over to that corner to verify that the seats were indeed being saved. Someone had placed a shawl or sweatshirt or something on the chair to indicate that it was taken. I decided to move those two seats forward just a tiny bit so that there would be enough room for my wife and I to stand behind them. As soon as I touched the chairs, a woman snarled at me that those seats were taken. I didn't respond or even look towards the woman... I simply maneuvered in to the space behind those two saved chairs and stood there for the rest of the lead-in to the fireworks show.

The chairs remained empty the entire time, and the woman waved off anyone that dare come anywhere near them. Finally, when an announcement was made that the fireworks show was about two minutes from starting... and the chairs were still empty... the woman did the most outrageous act of chair hogging I've ever seen on a cruise ship! It was incredible!

With the show two minutes away from starting, and the chairs having sat empty for at least a half an hour, the woman must have started to realize that whoever she was saving them for wasn't going to show up after all. So, rather than apologize to the people around her and to offer the chairs to any of the elderly people standing in the area, here's what the woman decided to do: she took the two chairs that she and her husband were sitting on and stacked them on top of the two empty chairs... and then she and her husband sat on them so that NO ONE could have the two unused chairs!

I snapped a photo... because I wanted all my friends on CruiseCritic to be able to see what I think must have been one of the most outrageous chair hogging incidents in the history of cruising! If we had a chair hogging wall of shame, this picture would surely go on it!

ChairHogs-IMG_5373.JPG

I hereby nominate these two fine folks to be the King and Queen of the Chair Hogs!

I would have said something. Most likely just a polite, "excuse me. Do you mind if my spouse and I use those extra chairs? There seems to be no more available." Even if she said no, at least I would have pointed out her blatant wrongdoing. Then I would have proceeded to stand directly in front of her, maybe accidentally tripping and spilling my drink in her direction.

I was apalled by their behavior even at the point where they were simply saving a seat for someone by putting an article of clothing on the chair. You have to realize that Spice H20 was completely packed with hundreds... perhaps even close to a thousand... people at the time. To save a seat in a situation like that seemed incredibly rude to me... but I wanted to give the people the benefit of the doubt by imagining that at any moment some extremely mobility-impaired elderly relatives or friends of theirs was going to show up and need those seats.

When the show was just about to get underway and the lady stacked the chairs so no one else could use them, I went beyond apalled and moved in to outrage and disbelief. I considered all the possible ways I could deal with the situation at that point. I very strongly considered coming around to their front side and snapping a picture of their faces. I very strongly considered just calling them out verbally right then and there. I also considered trying to find someone from NCL to deal with them... but really, the place was JAMMED with people and you couldn't find an employee, let alone get one to move through the crowd. The picture doesn't do a good job of showing how crowded it really was in the areas all around where we were.

I thought it through very carefully and considered my options. I just really didn't want to make a scene that would upset other passengers or possibly escalate in to shouting and me somehow getting reported to security! And I just couldn't bring myself to be rude to another guest, even a guest that was being more rude than I have ever seen in 26 cruises!

After the show, as we were all leaving Spice H20 and heading to the elevators, I was actually right behind the couple the entire way out... and had ample opportunity to call them out right there. I was very close to asking them "OK, what the heck was THAT all about... and do you realize how rude that was?" but I just couldn't bring myself to initiate a confrontation during a fun and relaxing vacation. Just couldn't. Sorry! I really wanted to on behalf of everyone that's ever wanted to confront a chair hog! Couldn't do it, though... I'm just not that way.

I was apalled by their behavior even at the point where they were simply saving a seat for someone by putting an article of clothing on the chair. You have to realize that Spice H20 was completely packed with hundreds... perhaps even close to a thousand... people at the time. To save a seat in a situation like that seemed incredibly rude to me... but I wanted to give the people the benefit of the doubt by imagining that at any moment some extremely mobility-impaired elderly relatives or friends of theirs was going to show up and need those seats.

When the show was just about to get underway and the lady stacked the chairs so no one else could use them, I went beyond apalled and moved in to outrage and disbelief. I considered all the possible ways I could deal with the situation at that point. I very strongly considered coming around to their front side and snapping a picture of their faces. I very strongly considered just calling them out verbally right then and there. I also considered trying to find someone from NCL to deal with them... but really, the place was JAMMED with people and you couldn't find an employee, let alone get one to move through the crowd. The picture doesn't do a good job of showing how crowded it really was in the areas all around where we were.

I thought it through very carefully and considered my options. I just really didn't want to make a scene that would upset other passengers or possibly escalate in to shouting and me somehow getting reported to security! And I just couldn't bring myself to be rude to another guest, even a guest that was being more rude than I have ever seen in 26 cruises!

After the show, as we were all leaving Spice H20 and heading to the elevators, I was actually right behind the couple the entire way out... and had ample opportunity to call them out right there. I was very close to asking them "OK, what the heck was THAT all about... and do you realize how rude that was?" but I just couldn't bring myself to initiate a confrontation during a fun and relaxing vacation. Just couldn't. Sorry! I really wanted to on behalf of everyone that's ever wanted to confront a chair hog! Couldn't do it, though... I'm just not that way.

I would have done exactly the same thing, thought of all the things I could do to them to repay them for their rudeness but I was raised to rise above that type of pettiness so I too would have done nothing. (And you couldn't have been the only one to notice their rudeness, so you weren't the only one not taking action.) Bottom line is whatever you said to them would have been lost on them because they just wouldn't get it.

You did the right thing. Sometimes you just need to walk away.

I would have probably said something like this after they put the chairs together. "OMG, do you believe what these two did, they are each sitting on two chairs, so that others can't use them" and it would have been really, really loud so that everyone could see what these folks were doing!

My other issue would be, don't parents teach their children to give up chairs to those older than they are. Even at my age, I will offer my seat to someone who is older or in need of a seat. I was at a muster drill on another line and there were teenagers sitting when folks that were in their 80's standing and obviously in need of a chair and the mother didn't do anything other than put her purse on one of the chairs, so no one could use it.

Edited by NLH Arizona