Solo on Queen of the Mississippi

SteelMagnolia9

Here is a mini-review of my Queen of the Mississippi cruise from New Orleans to Memphis, Oct. 25, 2014 to Nov. 1, 2014.

Embarkation: The cruise included a pre-night at the Hilton Garden Inn on S. Peter's St. in New Orleans. There was included transportation from the hotel to the boat via a bus. The hotel is close to the port where the boat is docked. My luggage was handled at the bus and arrived in my stateroom. Upon arrival, I provided my name and embarkation document to the Cruise Director who checked my name off of a list and I was onboard. Easy!

Accommodation: I was on this river cruise as a solo and booked stateroom #115 on the Main Deck. There are 12 solo staterooms on this boat. There was a medium size picture window which let in a lot of natural light. The room was vey large with a desk, chair, flat screen tv, two nightstands, large closet, hairdryer and large bathroom. I was very pleased with the size of the room. I was very comfortable throughout the cruise. It was located next to the dining room and stairs.

WiFi: WiFi was included!

Dining: The food was outstanding. The menus were varied. The service was excellent. There is one seating at meals as it is open seating. As a solo traveler, I like this as I had an opportunity to meet and talk to many different people. Lots of friendly people on board. Beer and wine were complimentary at lunch and dinner.

Cocktail Hour: There was a complimentary cocktail hour each evening before dinner. Lots of yummy hors d'oeuvres! Everyone mixed and mingled.

Snacks: Sodas, bottled water, coffee, cookies and candy were always available and included. Root beer floats in the evening, tea in the afternoon - always something if you wanted a snack. All included.

Crew: Young, enthusiastic and energetic. Strived to make sure you enjoyed your cruise. They were very helpful with older individuals who had mobility issues.

Shore Excursions: All were included, with the exception of the excursion to Graceland. I did not go on that excursion as I had been to Graceland, but heard positive feedback from those who did go.

Ports: Oak Alley, Baton Rouge, St. Francisville, Natchez, Vicksburg, Memphis.

Entertainment: It was good. Local entertainers who were brought on board.

Riverlorians: Kate and Mike - Both had excellent knowledge of the Mississippi River and I enjoyed their lectures and humor.

Demographics: 40's to 80's. 150 passengers.

I recommend this cruise. I loved being on the Mississippi River and experiencing the river and the history of this part of my country. I had so much fun, I booked another one while onboard for 2015 on the Queen of the West on their Columbia/Snake River Wine cruise. They offered 15% discount for booking onboard and many people did so.

Thanks for your review:).......I have thought about a River cruise as well

but I keep going back to Oceanliners.

Maybe I will re-think it and give it a try....did you book directly through

the Cruiseline? And, is it pretty casual?

Edited by Lois R

Thanks so much for posting this review. I've always wondered how this type of cruise would be for a solo. You've answered my questions in your review. I'm definitely going to consider something like this going forward.

Faith

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for your review:).......I have thought about a River cruise as well

but I keep going back to Oceanliners.

Maybe I will re-think it and give it a try....did you book directly through

the Cruiseline? And, is it pretty casual?

I have a travel agent I've used for years and I booked through her. You can book directly through the cruiseline. Their website is http://www.americancruiselines.com

Yes, it was casual on this cruise. I brought two 'dressy' pants outfits. I only wore one and that was the evening of the captain's cocktail reception and dinner.

Wow, Free WiFi and wine- sign me up! Do you have any pictures? I also am interested in what the rate was for this sailing.

There are specific cabins for solos on the Queen of the Mississippi, picture window and balcony. There are no insides like on an ocean cruise. I selected the picture window and my room was spacious with a good sized bathroom (no tub) that I could actually move around in.

US river cruises are more expensive than ocean cruises because they are required to be flagged in the US, hire US workers, pay US wages and are subject to US law (i.e. worker's compensation, taxes, etc.). I booked early and received a discount as well as a pre-cruise night at a hotel in New Orleans. On board, I was offered a 15% discount if I booked another cruise and as I was having such a good time, I booked the Columbia/Snake River Wine cruise departing on October 3, 2015.

The website is http://www.americancruiselines.com It's a wonderful way to see the US.

I'll post some pictures in the next 2 weeks. I'm off on 3 night weekend cruise this Friday on the Norwegian Sky. Looking forward to a mid-winter break!

• 3 weeks later...
There are specific cabins for solos on the Queen of the Mississippi, picture window and balcony. There are no insides like on an ocean cruise. I selected the picture window and my room was spacious with a good sized bathroom (no tub) that I could actually move around in.

US river cruises are more expensive than ocean cruises because they are required to be flagged in the US, hire US workers, pay US wages and are subject to US law (i.e. worker's compensation, taxes, etc.). I booked early and received a discount as well as a pre-cruise night at a hotel in New Orleans. On board, I was offered a 15% discount if I booked another cruise and as I was having such a good time, I booked the Columbia/Snake River Wine cruise departing on October 3, 2015.

The website is http://www.americancruiselines.com It's a wonderful way to see the US.

I'll post some pictures in the next 2 weeks. I'm off on 3 night weekend cruise this Friday on the Norwegian Sky. Looking forward to a mid-winter break!

I just read that Cosco has lower rates on these than their web site.

I recommend this cruise. I loved being on the Mississippi River and experiencing the river and the history of this part of my country. I had so much fun, I booked another one while onboard for 2015 on the Queen of the West on their Columbia/Snake River Wine cruise. They offered 15% discount for booking onboard and many people did so.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds incredible! Pricier than I want to pay for vacation time at the moment, but definitely is on the "some day" list!

• 4 weeks later...

That is something that I would really love to experience. Graceland is on my bucket list as my mother was a big fan of Elvis. Unfortunately the cost is prohibitive when including the cost of travelling from the UK. Maybe one day - I do buy lottery tickets'

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review on the River Cruise. I haven't really thought about doing a river cruise in the States, I've always looked at the European ones and found they were way over my budget, not to mention the airfare to get there.

Maybe this is a new option to think about! We'll see... I still like the ocean liners though... decisions!