Stockholm with Kids (tour or not?)

Hello Baltic experts!

We are a family of 6 - myself, my husband and our 3 young kids (5, 3, 11 months) and my husband's mother. We will be on the Regal Princess in July, stopping in Stockholm as our last port. We are going to be doing a private tour with SPB in St. Petersburg, but for the other ports SPB recommends we join a group tour. For almost all the other ports I've determined that we can do them on our own - we don't plan to go to Berlin and will stay in Warnemunde, maybe visit Rostock in Germany, and the other ports seem pretty walkable right from the boat.

In Stockholm, however, we will be docking in Nynashamn which I understand is some distance from Stockholm. While I think the SPB group tour will include many of the sites we are interested in, I'm also interested in visiting Skansen with our children, and they don't include that in their tour. I don't know how feasible it would be for us to do Stockhom on our own, however, but I'd love to get advice on whether we can do that, it would - I guess - include making our own way to the city from the port, and getting around between the different areas, I suppose by public transportation or perhaps taxis? Is this even feasible or are we better off joining the established group tour with SPB and planning a return visit to Stockholm in order to see more another time? (We may very well do this too, but it would be great to see as much as we "want" on our short visit). I'm also concerned about the kids bothering others in a group tour. They are good kids and excellent travelers, but they are children and as such can be loud or impatient at times. I'm reluctant to leave them on the ship in the kids club that day (the older 2, the baby obviously has to come with us!), because we won't be near the port all day.

Thanks for any advice!

I think Skansen sounds like a good idea, just be aware that the Nordic animals who are in the out door part, might be hard to spot so there is no guarantee that you will see those animals.

However there are the small-skansen (Lill-skansen) which might be a safer bet if you want to hang around animals.

then there is also Junibacken which is kids theme park based on the books authored by Astrid Lindgren.

I am pretty sure that your oldest will love it , possible your middle kid will as well but it's very pricey though.

http://www.junibacken.se/lang/english

Also you do need to try to squeeze in a visit to the neighbouring Vasa museum, particular for you adults but at least the oldest kids might also get something from it.

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/visit/Family-visits1/

Also at which date are your ship in Stockholm?

Edited by Desdichado62

I think Skansen sounds like a good idea, just be aware that the Nordic animals who are in the out door part, might be hard to spot so there is no guarantee that you will see those animals.

However there are the small-skansen (Lill-skansen) which might be a safer bet if you want to hang around animals.

then there is also Junibacken which is kids theme park based on the books authored by Astrid Lindgren.

I am pretty sure that your oldest will love it , possible your middle kid will as well but it's very pricey though.

http://www.junibacken.se/lang/english

Also you do need to try to squeeze in a visit to the neighbouring Vasa museum, particular for you adults but at least the oldest kids might also get something from it.

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/visit/Family-visits1/

Also at which date are your ship in Stockholm?

Thanks!! We will be in Stockholm on July 16 (Regal Princess). We definitely want to see the Vasa Museum and the Gamla Stan, both of which a group tour will visit. Skansen and/or Junibacken sound wonderful, but I just don't know how to manage to visit several places on our own. Is it manageable? SPB does not recommend doing a private tour through them, and indeed the cost is quite prohibitive ($550 per person!).

Once you get to Stockholm it's not that hard.

Vasa, Junibacken and Skansen are located at the same place and from there is easy to get to Gamla stan from where it isn't especially hard to get to Centralstation.

The biggest issue is that I don't think you can squeeze all that into one day.

As for public transport tickets, only the adults of you need to buy tickets.

The kids will go for free in your company.

The most convenient way is probably to use the official ticket app as there might buying tickets in Nynäshamn.

A ticket is valid for starting new journeys for 2 hours from purchase, so as long you don't buy it too early, you should only need one ticket from Nynäshamn to Vasa.

See the other thread for more detailed info.

Edited by Desdichado62

• 2 months later...

We visited Junibacken , Vasa and Skagen with our three children ( ages 5 , 9 and 12 at the time) and we had an absolutely wonderful day. Stockholm is an amazing place and our kids loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, Tivoli is in Copenhagen. Great place for kids, but a bit far from Skansen!

We did not go to Skansen. The area around the Vasa would be very easy with a stroller, as would the streets and bridges in the general area of down town Stockholm. Gamla Stan (the old town) would be very hard. The cobblestones are seriously bumpy. Think large river rocks embedded in the street. They are not smooth, morticed cobbles.

I'd consider either a seriously large off-road stroller, or a baby carrier for the littlest one and and easily stowed umbrella stroller for the 3 year old.

(I'm of the mind even older kids who are normally out of strollers benefit from strollers on long days like that. Not sure you what were planning for the 3yo.)

FYI, Tallinn old town is the same, assuming you are doing the standard Baltic cruise. I think small children might get concussions from bumping along those streets.

Sorry, Tivoli is in Copenhagen. Great place for kids, but a bit far from Skansen!

We did not go to Skansen.

Obviously you did not, because you are wrong. Tivoli is in both Copenhagen and Stockholm. If you had gone to Skansen, you would have seen it. Because it is right across the street.

We did not go to Skansen. The area around the Vasa would be very easy with a stroller, as would the streets and bridges in the general area of down town Stockholm. Gamla Stan (the old town) would be very hard. The cobblestones are seriously bumpy. Think large river rocks embedded in the street. They are not smooth, morticed cobbles.

I'd consider either a seriously large off-road stroller, or a baby carrier for the littlest one and and easily stowed umbrella stroller for the 3 year old.

(I'm of the mind even older kids who are normally out of strollers benefit from strollers on long days like that. Not sure you what were planning for the 3yo.)

FYI, Tallinn old town is the same, assuming you are doing the standard Baltic cruise. I think small children might get concussions from bumping along those streets.

Obviously you did not, because you are wrong. Tivoli is in both Copenhagen and Stockholm. If you had gone to Skansen, you would have seen it. Because it is right across the street.

tetley, dont be so harsh on ljandgb.

Yes the Tivoli (with capital T) is indeed located in Copenhagen but you tetley are also correct in that there indeed is a (but not the) tivoli in Stockholm which

indeed is across the street from Skansen. However it is not called tivoli but Gröna Lund.

ljandgb, you also have to be aware that some people calls amusement parks for tivoli.

The original Tivoli is a town in Lazio Italy.

Edited by Desdichado62