Radiance to Alaska June 12th-19th, 2015

cruise4sun&fun

Hi all. Just got back from my long awaited Alaskan vacation. All I can say is AWESOME!!!!! I will post the details of my trip by ports/stops, but I will do so in multiple postings (I type slow,:().

Vancouver, BC / June 11th.

-Went to Vancouver the day before our cruise. Stayed at the Blue Horizon on Robson St. Paid $211.60 for the night in a king suite on the 23rd floor. Decent room & hotel.

-Taxi from YVR airport to hotel was ~ $33 + tip.

-Walked around the waterfront and up near the port the evening we arrived. Stopped at a few Happy hour bars along the way and people watched. Very pretty area with a nice walkway/bikeway.

-Ate dinner at the Greek restaurant, Stepho's, just down from the hotel. Excellent lamb shank. Lots of Chinese food and some chain restaurants available in the area.

Vancouver, BC / June 12th.

- Ate breakfast at Tim Horton's just down from the hotel.

- We did the Hop on Hop off bus, $40pp, that went to Stanley Park in the morning before heading over to the ship. Stanley Park is very nice and the 2-3 hrs. we spent there did not seem like long enough., but it was enjoyable. The totem poles are amazing!

Out of time. Embarkment details to follow......

We will be on the Radiance July 8th ... working on our cabin decorations this evening. It's a great way to reduce the desire to speed up time because we have to focus on finishing them before we go ... next weekend we get to focus on packing prep!

I should mention our trip was 7 nt. northbound from Vancouver with stops in Ketchikan, Icy Straits, Juneau, Skagway & Hubbard Glacier(cruising)....then post-cruise stops in Anchorage & Denali area.

Also, I will post some pics once I "weed" through them all. Gotta love digital cameras but I end up taking a ton of photos....some not so good, lol.

Day #1 /Vancouver, BC / June 12th. (continued)

- From Blue Horizon to the port at Canada Place took about 10 minutes and the cab cost $8 + tip.

- Embarkment in Vancouver had me a little worried after reading some posts but of our dozen RCCL cruises (Carribean & Mexico) this was the quickest boarding ever. We usually get to the port early, about 9a.m. or so, but with us wanting to visit Stanley Park that morning we decided to risk it and get to the port about 1:30p.m. or so. Turned out to be a great decision.

We waited maybe 15 minutes in line to get through Immigration, and then our loyalty to RCCL got us to the front of the line at the RCCL check-in area. SORRY to the 200+ people that were waiting, but we've paid our dues....literally in $ over the years.

We went from the cab to our stateroom in less than 1/2 hour. Timing (& some luck) is everything!

- "Sail-a-way" was good, but certainly didn't have the "party feel" of the Carribean cruises. Very nice views of downtown Vancouver, and going under the Lions Gate Bridge was pretty cool.

- We decided to eat dinner at Chops Grille as they were offering a BOGO meal at all specialty restaurants the 1st night. We had an phenominal meal, I highly recommend the filet mignon.

Day #2 / Cruising - Inside Passage / June 13th.

- Hung out on our balcony.

- Checked out the ship.

- Played in the Black Jack Tournament & came in 2nd out of 25 entries and won $100 + a tee shirt.

- Some beautiful scenery but actually pictured the Inside Passage as being a lot closer to the shorelines. Still nice with plenty of photos taken.

- 1st Formal Night, which seemed to be less formal than Carribean cruises with less sport coats and ties... fine with me, I didn't wear them either.

Just a nice dress shirt, dress pants and shoes.

Day #3 / Ketchikan / June 14th.

- In port 6:00a.m. - 4:00p.m.

- We booked a Misty Fjords Flight Seeing trip with Island Wings. We were picked up in town and taken to their docks a few minutes down the road with the other 4 people on our flight. Michelle, the pilot/owner, was very knowledgeable of the area and a very good pilot. Felt at ease with her. Scenery was incredible and the remote lake landing was way cool. Definetly 1 of the highlight excursions of the trip. Cost was $239pp and the tour lasted about 2 hrs. or so with the ground transportation.

- We then decided to go to the Great Lumberjack Show. It was a little hokey, but fun. Crowd participation was encouraged. They did a good job, while showing off some woodsmen skills. Cost was $35pp and lasted a liitle over an hour. Wife even got to pose for a picture with the lumberjacks afterwards. Kids really seemed to enjoy the show.

- After the show we walked across the street to Fat Stan's Lounge for a quick Alaskan refreshment (beer) - Alaskan White was very good as well as the Alaskan Summer.

- We finished off our stay in Ketchikan with a walk up the "Married Man's Trail" and did some shopping. I bought a couple of really nice moose handled ulu knives w/ cutting boards for ~$45 a piece. This turnrd out to be a great deal from what I saw in the other ports and surprisingly even better than what I saw at the Ulu Shop in Anchorage. :)

Will continue trip details another day.

Day #4 / Icy Straits / June 15th

In Port 9:00a.m.- 6:00p.m.

- Booked a whale watching tour with FISHES. It was a 3hr. trip that departed at 9:30a.m. Cost was $160pp. We were on the 1st tender boat so we made our meet time. We meet just outside the port premises in the parking lot and then were transported to the docks a couple miles away (in town). We booked with FISHES because of the good reviews and the fact that there would only be 4 other people on the tour with us. It was a very good time even though we saw only 4 or 5 humpbacks and we apperently missed them "bubble feeding" by about 10 minutes. Got plenty of pics of the whales along with bald eagles, otters w/ babies on their bellies, a hungry playful seal and a bunch of sea lions hanging out on a bouy marker. We went along the shore hoping to catch sight of bears but no luck with that. It was a wonderful morning on the water with plenty of scenery & wildlife. The owners and operators, Floyd & Marjorie, are nice people and we enjoyed their company. I would recommend this tour if you are in Icy Straits - book early.

- Majorie dropped us off in town at the local bar. We were hoping that some lucky crabber had brought in some dungees crab that just opened that morning as we heard the bar cooks them up right outside , but I guess they wouldn't be in until the next day. Dang 1 day early! O'well, we had a couple cold ones and the went back to the dock area for some lunch at the place next to the Crab Station (sorry forgot the name), good halibut and frys but nothing special.

- After lunch we headed back to the ship for some swimming/tanning as it was pushing 80 and sunny. A lot of people had the same idea ....:D.

Juneau coming up next.

Day #5 / Juneau / June 16th

In Port 7:00a.m. - 8:30p.m.

First day with nothing pre-booked but we had an idea of what we might want to do.

- Started out going to Mendenhall Glacier & Nugget Falls. We took the "Blue Bus" which cost $20pp and provided roundtrip transportation to the glacier. You get dropped off and then explore on your own and catch another bus back when you are ready. Mendenhall Glacier is very picturesque especially with the sun being out. We did the hike to Nugget Falls which is a fairly easy walk. The falls are quite impressive. Both going to and from the glacier we were lucky enough to see some black bears along the side of the road. I couldn't get any good pictures from the bus but it was cool to see them.

- We got off the bus at the Red Dog Saloon for an Alaskan beer and a Blue Glacier Margareitta.... tasty. The Red Dog is touristy but kinda neat inside and worth a visit.

- Next we did the tram up to Mt. Roberts. Cost was $33pp. The views are incredible up there. We did some hiking around on the trails. There are several trails to choose from to hike depending on how far and high you may want to hike. There is a movie/show available but we skipped that... it was to nice outside.

- Time for lunch so after all the good things I've read about Tracy's Crab Shack we had to try it. It lived up to the hype. We shared a 3lb. King crab bucket with coleslaw & garlic biscits for $80. A bit pricey, but best crab ever! A must stop when in Juneau.

- After the good came the bad.... shopping time :mad:. After an hour or so of looking at your typical souveneir stuff we wondered into a "good store"... The Alaskan Brewery store. Not only did they have some neat merchandise but it turns out they offer tours to their brewery. The tour cost $20pp and included roundtrip transportation to the brewery (about 15 minutes away), a private brewery tour & of course tastings. We sampled 5 different beers. They were all very good, especially the Alaskan Rasberry Wheat, Alaskan Amber & Alaskan Summer. We even bought some to take home.

What a way to end a terrific day in Juneau.

Next up Skagway

Day #6 / Skagway / June 17th

In port 7:00a.m. - 4:30p.m.

- We rented a car from Avis so we could make the drive up to Emerald Lake. We got to the office shortly after 8:00a.m. and were on our way shortly afterwards. This was our 1st day of the trip with any sort of rain but even that was hit and miss. The cloud cover was thick when up high and made for some slow travel at times, but it didn't last long and the clouds made for some interesting photos as they past by the mountain tops. By the time we reached Emerald Lake the sun was shining once again and that made for some wonderful photos of the lake.... it truly is a sight to be seen. We made all the touristy stops along the route and the Murry's Guide we purchased came in handy pointing out what was what. We loved having the flexibility of stopping where we wanted and for as long as we wanted. We made it back to town about 3:00p.m. The total cost for the car rental was ~ $125.

- We thought we might have time to grab some lunch at the Red Onion Saloon but it was packed with an hour+ wait time. We decided to try the Bonanza Bar & Grill. The reuben sandwhich & burger were both recommended by the bartender and were both excellent... + the beer was ice cold. A good choice.

- Made it back to ship in plenty of time. This was the 2nd Formal Night of the cruise.... lobster night, yum.

- Note: The scenery leaving Skagway is breath-taking.

On to Hubbard Glacier / Cruising.

Day 7 / Hubbard Glacier & Cruising / June 18th

- We spent a couple hours approaching, and in front of, Hubbard Glacier. It was a cold (guessing about 40-45F) but sunny and beautiful morning. The sun shinning on the glacier as well as the surrounding mountainsides was spectacular. I wasn't fortunate enough to see any calving but there were plenty of icebergs afloat. The captain did a great job turning the ship from side to side allowing passengers on both sides to get great views of the glacier. An enjoyable stop.

- The rest of the day was spent cruising towards Seward. We did some gambling, shopping, hung out on our balcony and just relaxed. We did attend the art auction for some reason (oh ya free champagne) and I can't believe how expensive "art" is :eek:. I guess that's why I don't collect any :D. Well at least I tried something new. I think I even snuck a nap in that day....ahhhh vacation! :)

Next and final stop of the cruise - Seward.

Day #6 / Skagway / June 17th

In port 7:00a.m. - 4:30p.m.

- We rented a car from Avis so we could make the drive up to Emerald Lake. We got to the office shortly after 8:00a.m. and were on our way shortly afterwards. This was our 1st day of the trip with any sort of rain but even that was hit and miss. The cloud cover was thick when up high and made for some slow travel at times, but it didn't last long and the clouds made for some interesting photos as they past by the mountain tops. By the time we reached Emerald Lake the sun was shining once again and that made for some wonderful photos of the lake.... it truly is a sight to be seen. We made all the touristy stops along the route and the Murry's Guide we purchased came in handy pointing out what was what. We loved having the flexibility of stopping where we wanted and for as long as we wanted. We made it back to town about 3:00p.m. The total cost for the car rental was ~ $125.

- We thought we might have time to grab some lunch at the Red Onion Saloon but it was packed with an hour+ wait time. We decided to try the Bonanza Bar & Grill. The reuben sandwhich & burger were both recommended by the bartender and were both excellent... + the beer was ice cold. A good choice.

- Made it back to ship in plenty of time. This was the 2nd Formal Night of the cruise.... lobster night, yum.

- Note: The scenery leaving Skagway is breath-taking.

On to Hubbard Glacier / Cruising.

We have the Red Onion penciled into our itinerary, but I'm not going to spend an hour of my vacation waiting to get in ... I'll add Bonanza Bar and Grill to my list of optionals ... thank you.

Day 8 / Seward / June 19th

Disembarkment Day

- We left the Radiance for the last time on this trip about 9:00a.m.:( Our luggage was right where it was supposed to be. We collected it and then stopped at the tour kiosk to see if we could find something to fill our day before our Alaskan RR trip to Anchorage at 6:00p.m. We didn't pre-book a tour because we wanted to play the weather and not have to rush off the ship.

- The weather was sun & clouds and about 55 degrees so we opted for the Kenai Fjords Resurrection Bay Tour. The tour was 4 & 1/2hrs. long, starting at noon, and included an all-u-can eat prime rib & grilled salmon lunch at Fox Island. The tour cost was $99pp. They also provided a shuttle bus from port over to the railroad depot so we could store our luggage and get our boarding tickets for the train prior to the tour.

I was hesitant about booking this tour because of reviews about it not being long enough and our chances of seeing wildlife would be limited, but it fit our schedule allowing us to spend time prior to the tour walking & shopping around Seward and then getting us back in time to catch our train.

Almost as soon as we left the harbour we started seeing wildlife. Sea otters, eagles and then a pod of Orcas. The Captain pointed out points of interest along the way to Fox Island. The lunch was excellent. Some of the best grilled salmon I have ever had. My wife added a 1/2lb. of crab legs for $11.99 that were tasty. The lodge at Fox Island is nice, as well as the surrounding scenery. The beach there is loaded with flat stones that the kids (and some adults :D) were having a ball skipping across the water.

After lunch the tour got even better. First an eagle sitting in a dead tree made for a beautiful picture. Then we saw the pod of Orcas up very close. Then we saw a large group of sea lions resting on the shoreline. Next were a whole lot of puffin in the rocky cliffs above the water. And then the highlight of the tour.... a group of humpback whales bubble net feeding. JUST INCREDIBLE!!!!! We got lots of photos and some videos as well.

A funny thing happened as we were watching the humpbacks. After one of their feedings we lost track of them for a bit. Then about 200 yards away we heard screaming and saw a couple in a kayak started paddling backwards in a big hurry. The whales were right under them and actually came up to feedi about 25 yds. away from them. Needless to say they were a bit scared and actually stuck close to our boat for the rest of the time... lol.

To top off the tour, the crew provided us with fresh baked chocolate chip cookies on the way back to the dock, they were fantastic! :).

We got back in time to grab a quick soda/beer, use the restroom and watch the fishing charters come in and weigh their catches for the day before we walked over to the train depot to catch our train.

We had an outstanding day in Seward to end our outstanding Alaskan cruise!

- Next up: Alaskan Railroad to Anchorage.

Thanks for your great review! I'll be on Radiance heading southbound in two weeks...can't wait, and your report is just getting me more excited! :)

Your picture looks good from my end...not too small.

Becca

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Day #8 (cont) / Alaskan RR / June 19th

Seward to Anchorage via Alaskan RR

We had pre-booked the Alaskan Railroad from Seward to Anchorage for the start of our post cruise Alaska trip. The train left Seward at 6:00p.m. and arrived in Anchorage ~ 10:15p.m. We decided to go with the Gold Dome seating which included dinner and 2 adult beverages per person (or 4 for me as the wife doesn't drink much....lucky me :D:D:D:D). The cost was $360.50 total for the 2 of us.

-The dinner was surprisingly good. I had a very tender pot roast and the wife had a very large chicken salad. You do have to dine in groups of 4 which I wasn't to excited about, but it turned out okay. They were from L.A. and big Dodger fans so at least we had some common interests to talk about, besides the cruise.

- The seat on the train were actually quite comfy and you were free to roam about inside as well as going outside for an un-obstructed view of the wonderful scenery. We saw glaciers, waterfalls, lakes, ponds, beavers, moose, and even some Dahl sheep on the steep mountain sides. It was a very nice leisurely ride.

- After collecting our luggage at the depot (ours were the very last 2 pieces unloaded. lol) we took a cab to the airport to get our rental car for the next 5 days. Sorry can't recall the cost of the cab, but I don't think it was much more than $15 w/tip.

- Okay now for our 1st little glitch of the trip.... HERTZ had over booked their car rentals so they sent us over to Thrifty and said that they would honor the price they had given us. Which they did up front, but then added on extras after we returned the car and got our credit card statement (which I am still fighting with them over :(). The full size car was nice .... a Chrysler 200, that only had about 4000 miles on. Total cost for the 5 days was ~ $250.

- We left the car rental facility at the airport and drove to the Moose Gardens B&B about 10 minutes away. Even though it was pushing 11:30p.m. the host was there to greet us and welcome us into their home. She showed us to our room and around the house and even asked what time we would like to have our breakfast ready. The house and gardens (tons of gnomes in the many gardens) were very well kept and our room was very large and comfortable. We reserved the Ocean Suite room (no ocean in sight but an ocean themed bathroom) for 2 nights at $140/night.

Next up - Our day in Anchorage.

Day #9 / Anchorage / June 20th

Going to be brief the rest of the review as it is taking wayyyyy to long to complete, and the last 3x's I tried writing this day in Anchorage report it got "lost" before I submitted it (?).

- Started off with a wonderful homemade breakfast of quiche, reindeer sausage, "secret recipe" pancakes w/ homemade syrups, fruit cups and coffee, tea & juice. Everything was just fabulous!

- We then went to downtown Anchorage.

- We shopped at the Ulu Shop.

- We watched locals fishing Ship Creek shoulder to shoulder for the Slammin' Salmon Derby that was going on. Not my kind of fishing but they were catching some fish. Would have been $80 to rent gear , tackle, boots & license from The Bait Shack right next to the creek. Maybe next time if there is not a derby going on.

- We then went to "The Market" which is local crafters / artists selling their goods along with LOTS of food vendors. Lots of neat stuff, some different. We actually bought a very nice bear picture that we had shipped home. Also had some tasty halibut, chips and hush puppies from 1 of the food trucks.

- Next we went to the Glacier Brewhouse to sample a few brews. We liked the Raspberry Wheat & the Hefe the best.

- We then went to the laundry mat (:() to wash some "essentials" for the rest of our trip.

- After stopping back at the B&B to put away our laundry and get recommendations for dinner... we ended up going to the Moose's Tooth Pub & Pizzaria. It was mobbed, which a good indication it is a good place to eat, but I have never waited over 1/2 hour to eat at a pizza joint. It did turn out to be excellent pizza and they had quite the variety of specialty pizza. Plus their Raspberry Wheat & Hefe were very good also :D.

- We finished off the day sitting on our deck at Moose Gardens B&B with a 6 pack of Alaskan Amber and the peacefulness of the surrounding area.

Day 10 / Travel to Denali - Healy area / June 21st

- We again awoke to a fabulous breakfast similar to yesterdays but with scrambled eggs w/ ham & vegetables instead of quiche and a parfait instead of a fruit cup. We thanked Marya & Garnet for their wonderful hospitality the last 2 days and we were on our way. I HIGHLY recommend Moose Gardens for a B&B stay in the Anchorage area.

- We pretty much drove straight through to our destination at the Lakeview Inn, about 10 miles north of the entrance to Denali National Park. We made a few quick pit stops along the way but it did take close to 6 hrs. There were a few long road construction delays along with a delay in the wildfire zone around Wasilla.

- We did stop at the Denali/McKinley viewing spots and got a couple photos of the top of the mountain between thin clouds at the south stop. The north stop was totally cloud covered.

- We got settled in at the Lakeview Inn and got their recommendations for lunch/dinner. Turns out the 49th State Brewing Co. was about a mile up the road and they had good food to go along with their home crafted beers.... Jackpot! :D It was quite busy due to the Summer Solstice Celebration going on but we were able to get a seat at the bar after a short wait.

- The Lakeview Inn is located overlooking Otto Lake with the mountains in the background... very beautiful! The room was nice and the deck view fabulous. They do provide some cereal boxes, packaged muffins, milk, toast, juice, coffee & tea in the room but nothing "homemade"... got spoiled at the B&B in Anchorage (lol). We reserved "The Deck Room" at $208.65 per night.

Next up - Denali National Park

Day #11 / Denali National Park / June 22ndseparator.gif

- We meet the early shuttle bus at the Wilderness Access Area at about 4:45 a.m. for a trip up to Wonder Lake. The shuttle departed about 5:00a.m. and the bus was full. Most seats were 2 to a seat and the people that thought they would have a seat to themselves weren't very happy.

- Our driver, "Wolfman", was very good with the parks history, some jokes & stories, and with wildlife spottings and the animals life history. He did let us know that his main job was to watch the road and drive the bus so we were to keep our eyes peeled and yell out when we saw something to stop for. He was very good about positioning the bus so everyone could view the wildlife we spotted.

- We saw 2 grizzly's, several moose & caribou, a falcon, a raven, a family of ptarmigan, waterfowl, and of course some beautiful scenery. The bummer was that the smoke from the ongoing wildfires had covered, or at least put a haze, on many of the mountain tops. Any chance of viewing Mt. Denali/McKinley at Wonder Lake was out of the question :(. I will add pictures soon.

- We stopped every so often for potty breaks at the rest stops. Which seemed to be reasonably spaced out.

- I was skeptical about an entire day (~9hrs.) on a school bus, but it actually wasn't a bad ride considering the roads. The scenery and wildlife viewings made it seem to go rather quickly, though on the way back I saw quite a few people napping.

- The Shuttle Bus to Wonder Lake was $116.50 for 2 people including park entrance fees.

- After driving back to the Lakeview Inn to freshen up we headed back out to the 49th State Brewery for a nice dinner and some cold beverages. Before retiring for the evening we sat on our deck and watched the waterfowl and a few people out canoeing on Otto Lake. Just a beautiful sight. Unfortunately, the end to our Alaska journey was also in sight :(:(:(.

Next up - Travel back to Anchorage for trip home.

Day #12 / Healey - Anchorage / June 23rd

Last day of our trip :(.

- As we left the Lakeview Inn's driveway we were greeted by a moose grazing along the edge of the road. As we stopped to take pictures, a calf popped out from the brush to join its momma. We were close (about 20 yards away) probably too close with the young 1 being with her. I could tell she was keeping and eye on us and I had my hand on the shifter to throw the car into reverse if need be. Got a few decent pictures before they headed back into the brush.

- The rest of the trip back to Anchorage was pretty uneventful but we still enjoyed the scenery. It was fairly cloudy so we did not bother stopping at the Mt.Denali / McKinley viewing stations. The construction zones were still present but the wildfire zones were gone. I think it was still about an 5 & 1/2 hour trip back to Anchorage.

- We had time to kill before our flight home and needed some lunch/dinner so we decided to go back to the Glacier Brewhouse and get some food this time. Turns out the food there is just as good as the beer. We split some crab cakes and seafood chowder.... both excellent, and had a couple pre-flight beers. Also turned out to be our lucky day - Tuesday. On Tuesday's they have growler fill ups for $6. We were going to bring a growler of Raspberry Wheat home anyhow so that price made it even better.

- On the way to the airport we got a text from Delta saying our departure from Anchorage at 5:45p.m. was going to be delayed. That would cause us to miss our connection in Seattle. I called Delta and they found us a flight on Alaskan Air that worked... phew.

-Besides being a long "red eye" flight back to Rochester, NY all went well. We got home about 10:00a.m. the next morning giving us all day to unpack and unwind / rest.

Officially an end to our INCREDIBLE ALASKA TRIP!!!!!!

P.S. -I will being adding pictures to the text very soon.

I've been reading your review with some amusement, because we were on the same cruise & were actually with you on the F.I.S.H.E.S. Tour. I believe we also saw each other in Vancouver.

I've been thinking about writing a review, but I could just copy & paste a good chunk of yours! :) We also stayed at the Blue Horizon in Vancouver & got breakfast at Tim Hortons. We whale watched with you in ISP, took the Nugget Lake hike in Juneau, and drove to Emerald Lake in Skagway. We took a Kenai Fjords tour, but a longer one. We also did the Goldstar service on ARR to Anchorage but only stayed one night there. We rented a car, drove to Denali & stayed at the Lakeview Inn! We did a Wonder Lake shuttle (a little later than yours) and drove back to Anchorage to fly home.

I'm a little surprised we didn't see each other more often! It sounds like you had as great of a trip as we did!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cruisin Cheeseheads,

Small world, though it doesn't seem like it, especially when you're in Alaska.

Good time on F.I.S.H.E.S & glad to hear you had a great trip as well.

Saw a lot of you Packers fans in Alaska, not to many Bills fans (lol).

Thought about not doing the review as well because a lot do seem similar, but this way I can print off a copy of mine to have for future reference + if it helps others with their trips then GREAT.

Take care & cruise on!