Grand Princess NB cruise tour 7/18-8/1/15

mimmy52

You will probably notice, but hopefully overlook, the fact that a lot of my pictures are a little crooked. I was going to correct them with Photoshop but then decided I'd never get around to doing my review.

First about us. Jo and I have been friends for a while but we've never traveled together before. She's a widow, my husband doesn't like to travel. I've thought about going to Alaska for a long time (but I hate being cold) so when Jo asked if I wanted to go with her, I said yes. I spent some time pricing cruise tours and had picked either Holland America or Norwegian as the most cost effective. But Jo got to the travel agent's first and thought Princess would be the best. It was more expensive, but it was also longer, so how could we go wrong? Since we had never traveled together, we decided to upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite in case we needed the extra room. We didn't, but it was still nice to have the extra space.

We flew St. Louis to Vancouver with a connection in Seattle, the day before embarkation. So on July 17 we were very excited about our trip beginning.

We're at the Alaska Airlines gate

DSC06533_zpsh7nb0wrb.jpg

Okay, I wanted to be certain I posted the photo correctly before I continued.

Our flight to Seattle left right on time at 6:40 am. I sat next to a couple who were also headed to the Grand Princess, but they had to change carriers in Seattle rather than a change of planes as we were doing. We landed in Seattle at 9:30 but it was already 11:30 St. Louis time. With a 2.5 hour layover, we thought lunch was in order. We ate at Wolfgang Pucks but it was breakfast since they weren't yet serving lunch.

Our flight to Vancouver left from a very busy Concourse C. We could see our plane. It had propellers.

DSC06535_zpswmma6xdc.jpg

But it zipped us to Vancouver right on time, a mere 30 or 45 minute flight. Went through immigration (a kiosk) and customs with no problem, and I stopped at an ATM for some CAD. The line for the taxi stand was long, but it moved quickly and we were soon on our way to the Best Western Plus Downtown. Taxi was $40 CAD with tip.

Best Western Downtown

DSC06579_zpsj15rx1zb.jpg

The lobby was small and our check in was quick.

Best Western lobby

DSC06575_zpso5yxs6l3.jpg

DSC06577_zpsg3mjbkcw.jpg

We dropped our luggage in our room and went out again almost immediately since we had only two half days in Vancouver and we wanted to make the most of them.

Our room at the Best Western Downtown

DSC06537_zpsvzifg8qm.jpg

DSC06540_zpsfecttuv8.jpg

Best Western DT offers a free one-way pass on the False Creek Ferry, so we picked up our passes at reception and walked to the ferry stop at Donald Lam Park. It was easy to find. Five or six Aqua Bus ferries went by and the only False Creek Ferry we saw didn't stop. So we bought a one way on an Aqua Bus. Granville Island was only one stop away and we're seniors, so it cost us each $1.50.

Aqua Bus

DSC06541_zpsfsoxb2zm.jpg

We passed some float houses along the way (if that's what they're called).

DSC06547_zpstylsmi3u.jpg

The weather was perfect. Beautiful sunshine, temps probably in the high 70s. We walked toward the Public Market.

DSC06556_zpstsnly64d.jpg

There was a sidewalk entertainer with a whip and ladders. We bought some gelato and watched him for a while. He had a little trouble engaging the spectators when he asked them to come closer.

DSC06552_zpsbqayj9bg.jpg

We spent some time poking around in the shops and enjoying the views.

DSC06560_zpsriywctjj.jpg

DSC06558_zpscsuafovu.jpg

We'd checked the menus in two restaurants for dinner, but we wanted something cheaper. Which we got, both in price and in taste. We ate at one of the food courts. We used our free False Creek Ferry pass to return to the David Lam Park stop.

DSC06569_zpsrdci7wuw.jpg

We found the Best Western DT to be very convenient. On the way back we stopped at a drugstore for bottled water and the liquor store for a bottle of wine to bring on the ship. Both stores plus a 7-11 type were within a block of the hotel.

I'd heard of poutine, the dish you can get only in Canada, so I had to try it. Mean Poutine was only a few blocks away, strictly carryout.

DSC06583_zpsrnb9vuzd.jpg

French fries, cheese curds, and gravy. I asked for vegetarian gravy, but it tasted like meat gravy, so maybe the menu I saw online was wrong.

DSC06585_zps2jqoik9p.jpg

I checked out the hotel's rooftop area. It has nice views of the city.

DSC06593_zps3i622orc.jpg

DSC06603_zps6xnssq3l.jpg

It also has a fitness center.

DSC06586_zpsgo43pu8f.jpg

And a hot tub.

DSC06608_zpsvike6deb.jpg

There's also a sauna, but I didn't take a picture of it. When I was ready to leave, I couldn't open the door that led to the elevators. I kept trying and was getting visions of spending the night there when I noticed a phone on the wall. I called the front desk. She said she could see me and suggested I pull first before I pushed. Who knew?

Back in the room, I checked my email. I had one from Princess, but not the welcome anyone embarking on a cruise wants. It was an "Important Notice Regarding Your Cruise." After saying they looked forward to welcoming us aboard, we were notified that "during the last few days of the current cruise, there has been a higher than expected number of cases of gastrointestinal illness among guests suspected to be caused by norovirus." It went on to say the ship would undergo an additional disinfection in Vancouver so our check-in could not begin until 1:00 p.m. and all should be onboard by 3:30.

So fingers crossed.

Saturday morning we had breakfast at White Spot, the entrance right off the lobby. Good food.

The night before we had reserved the hotel's free shuttle for a 1:30 trip to Canada Place. This morning we reserved it for an 8:30 trip to Canada Place, but this time because we wanted to catch the first Hop on Hop Off Trolley that left from CP at 9 am. We had to check out first, and we borrowed the hotel's stapler to attach our Princess luggage tags, then the bags were put in hotel storage.

At Canada Place, we caught our first glimpse of the Grand Princess.

DSC06613_zpszs2qyqsm.jpg

DSC06614_zpskiogolme.jpg

HAL's Noordam was also there. And a float plane.

DSC06621_zpsmbijcqth.jpg

The meeting place for the HoHo Trolley.

DSC06624_zps5kirtkk8.jpg

The HoHo Trolley

DSC06745_zpszqb1h6js.jpg

You can probably tell from the photos that this was another beautiful weather day. While we waited for the trolley, we talked to some people who had just gotten off the Grand Princess. They said the weather had been terrible but they still had a great time. Plus they hadn't talked to anyone who'd been sick and thought maybe Princess was being overly cautious.

When the trolley arrived, there were already a few people on it. Since we were at the first stop, we wondered where those people had gotten on. From Canada Place, the trolley stopped at a few hotels, then headed into Stanley Park with the first stop there at the Rose Garden. Our driver was not very talkative.

We sat on the right side of the trolley, and I was able to get some nice photos once we passed the Rose Garden.

DSC06628_zpsq0muqw7w.jpg

DSC06637_zpsdck81fqj.jpg

DSC06638_zpszhdsnqew.jpg

We got off the trolley at the totem area.

DSC06639_zpszyoywdda.jpg

DSC06658_zpslkrgyc2n.jpg

DSC06688_zpsqwjg3foq.jpg

Jo made a beeline for the gift shop, and I walked the sea wall to Brockton Point Lighthouse. Along the way I could see the ships at Canada Place.

DSC06661_zpssd6vl4wa.jpg

And the sulphur piles.

DSC06665_zpsjezkdfk1.jpg

Float planes were taking off.

DSC06669_zpssjriripg.jpg

ML at the Brockton Point Lighthouse.

DSC06673_zpse2odn8bd.jpg

I could also see the Lions Gate Bridge from this vantage point.

DSC06677_zpscjpp9jyq.jpg

I returned to the totem area by continuing along the path above the sea wall, the way our hotel shuttle driver had suggested. It was a shorter way and you can actually see the lighthouse from the back of the totem area. I looked around for Jo and finally found her just checking out of the gift shop. As you will see if you continue with my review, she and I are very opposite, but we both enjoy our choices.

We waited about 15 minutes for the next trolley. I'd read some reviews about the HoHo trolley that said often trolleys are not on time, or they're full and you have to wait for another. That's why I wanted to start with the first of the day. The trolley that pulled up had plenty of room.

From the trolley, I had another view of the Brockton Point Lighthouse.

DSC06692_zpseoeep1zx.jpg

We saw the Girl in the Wetsuit from the trolley.

DSC06699_zpsacd73t3e.jpg

We had chosen the Prospect Point Café as our designated lunch stop, and it was a winner. It had just opened when we went in (our tummies were still on St. Louis time).

DSC06733_zpsopal9bt3.jpg

We got a table right by the window. It was a lovely place to sit and look out over Lions Gate Bridge.

DSC06734_zps1iv2c4r9.jpg

My salmon and corn chowder came with a slice of French bread. It was delicious.

DSC06738_zpsldj3j2t9.jpg

After lunch, we went to the trolley stop which was almost right outside the café. A trolley had just pulled up, but there was a group of nine people ahead of us in line. When the driver said they had room for only eight, the group decided there was a trail they wanted to walk and they'd come back. So we were able to hop right on. We enjoyed seeing the rest of Stanley Park from the trolley windows and a little of Vancouver as the trolley rode to our stop at the Radisson Hotel, which was only two blocks away from the Best Western.

We got back to the hotel about 12:20, earlier than we expected. We'd reserved the hotel shuttle to Canada Place (did I mention free?) for 1:30 and were able to change the time to 1:00. We got our bags out of storage and by 12:45 the six of us who'd reserved the shuttle were waiting, so we loaded up and were off for the pier.

DSC06746_zpspc0dm3mi.jpg

By 1:00 we were at Canada Place and it got kind of confusing after that. We were herded along into various lines. We were handed health forms in the first which we filled out as we continued in line. It moved quickly and soon we were checked in and given our stateroom keys, D417.

First line

DSC06749_zpshrdjjmvd.jpg

We were herded into the next line, which also moved quickly, and through security, then through customs.

Second line

DSC06751_zpsadgequti.jpg

We were through it all in 45 minutes. Then were conducted to an area with chairs where we sat for 15 minutes. After that it was form another line to get on the ship. This line moved the slowest of all because everyone had to stop for a photo. But after that, our line was boarding the ship!

DSC06757_zpskdejzye7.jpg

We could look down and see our luggage being loaded.

DSC06755_zpsksigcdnv.jpg

When we got on the ship, we were met by a Princess rep who gave us the choice of going to Horizon Court or a lounge. We chose Horizon Court and were delivered first, then she took care of those who chose a lounge.

Made it.

DSC06760_zpsdpdnqfd6.jpg

Since we'd already eaten lunch, we didn't go into Horizon Court but stayed on the deck outside it. Jo got a slice of pizza at Prego by the pool and I immediately went for my drink of the day.

Maybe not the ship's DOTD, but it's mine, a chocolate malt.

DSC06763_zps9n09ytxx.jpg

All the tables were full, there was a long line for food at the Trident Grill by the pool and at the pool bar. We found a couple of empty deck chairs and moved them into partial shade. There were kids in the pool so they came prepared.

DSC06766_zpshysbmt4f.jpg

It was announced that our rooms wouldn't be ready until 4:15 and that muster drill had been moved to 4:45. I was getting hot sitting mostly in the sun, so I got up to walk around and explore at least the outside areas.

DSC06770_zpsq7bde864.jpg

DSC06775_zps0vxs4cve.jpg

My hat was in my suitcase, which I couldn't get to, so when my head felt too hot I went back to the deck chair. Jo had managed to get them further into the shade, so it wasn't as bad. We watched Paul McCartney in New York play on the MUTS screen and finally around 4:30 we could go to our rooms. It was worth the wait if the sanitizing worked.

We went into our room, took a quick look around, grabbed our life vests, and headed out to the Explorers Lounge for the muster drill. I'll post the Princess Patters for the day here.

July%2018%20patter%201_zpsl4iyqtng.jpg

July%2018%20patter%202_zpsusihlr4f.jpg

July%2018%20patter%203_zpss7taf30j.jpg

July%2018%20patter%204_zpsqll4blol.jpg

The drill ended a little after five, we went back to our room and met Elmer, our room steward. The room was hot and we had no towels and it felt like the ship was already moving, so we grabbed our cameras and hurried out on deck to watch the sail away. We were already past the Brockton Point Lighthouse! No fair!

The lighthouse is behind us.

DSC06783_zpshjyqmxvn.jpg

Goodbye Vancouver! We thought you were great.

DSC06784_zpshmhysh8o.jpg

Lions Gate Bridge coming up.

DSC06785_zpsvjktihv1.jpg

Going under the Lions Gate Bridge

DSC06792_zpsnw0wuyb6.jpg

Some watched the sail away from their balconies.

DSC06794_zpsyz6hgxlb.jpg

We're on our way to Alaska!

DSC06797_zpsmtzz0d6o.jpg

Jo and ML sailing away

DSC06799_zpsdfzspz8o.jpg

And Jo gets her drink of the day. Neither one of us remembers what it was called.

DSC06801_zpsravwghra.jpg

When we were well underway, we went back to our room. We had towels and it was cooler. When we briefly met Elmer, I'd asked for two Princess Patters each day and asked about the two glasses of champagne that were supposed to come with a mini suite. Elmer had it all there.

Our room.

DSC06781_zpsn9zd12es.jpg

DSC06808_zps9avzs0oz.jpg

DSC06809_zpsv6d3zbih.jpg

It turned out to be nice having two TVs.

DSC06810_zps7kyvjhic.jpg

DSC06811_zpsqfpa8ies.jpg

Our balcony. One of the things I didn't realize when we made our reservation, but knew later from my brother and from Cruise Critic, was that our balcony would be uncovered.

DSC06814_zps6lmdhz8s.jpg

We have a bathtub so no worry about water getting on the floor during a shower.

DSC06815_zpshpcuylml.jpg

DSC06816_zpsfyjgmzzj.jpg

Time to relax with our champagne.

DSC06817_zps0igj0uoz.jpg

We didn't have a roll call meet and greet, at least not that I know of. Early on a roll call had been created, but I think only three or four of us responded, and then it seemed to die.

We had requested anytime dining, and after unpacking, we went to dinner in the Michelangelo Room. The Michelangelo Room and the Da Vinci Room look exactly the same except for the prints that hang on the wall.

DSC06827_zpsfxirews9.jpg

DSC06828_zpsyixqsrgr.jpg

If we'd wanted a table for two, there would have been a wait, but we were happy to share a table. There are such interesting people in the world! A couple from Quebec and parents and two teens from Nebraska were seated with us.

For starters, I had the House-Made Gravadlax of Wild Alaska Salmon. It sounded good.

DSC06822_zpst5x1ugsa.jpg

Three of us ordered it, and none of us liked it. Next came Creamed Artichoke Bisque. It was tasty.

DSC06823_zpskiwwupey.jpg

And my entrée was Steamed Alaska Cod over Warm Lentil Salad. That too was good.

DSC06824_zpsisokf6zx.jpg

Jo and I couldn't decided between the cheesecake and crème brulee for dessert, so we each ordered one and then shared. It's hard to go wrong with desserts. Doesn't look so pretty because we'd already divided it before I snapped the picture.

DSC06825_zpssk5lhdf2.jpg

We walked around the ship a little more, then went to our balcony to sit for a while. It was beautiful.

DSC06846_zpscmmkg4sr.jpg

DSC06847_zpshoatm2yn.jpg

At 10:00 we went to the Princess Theater for the Welcome Aboard Showtime. The Princess singers and dancers performed one number. Cruise Director Mike Witte emcee'd, introduced staff, and talked about what will happen during the week. Comedian Art Krug was supposed to perform but his flight was delayed and he didn't arrive in Vancouver before sail away. To fill in, they had Jesse Hamilton who was an excellent singer and entertainer. I was kind of glad the comedian didn't make it since Jesse and a member from the audience provided enough humor to make up for it. Jesse asked Renee from the audience to come on stage, gave him an Afro wig, and told him he was Jermaine to his (Jesse's) Michael Jackson. It was hilarious because Renee got into his part so well.

Our day had been full. We were happy.

DSC06851_zpswrtxouff.jpg