Yacht Club: Family Friendly?

hunterjackson

I finally got my loyalty match and was conversing with the agent trying to figure out why the Grand Suite (2 bedroom) wasn't in the YC.

He said most people in the Yacht Club come to get away from everyone...kids etc and want a quiet time.

We usually sail in the Haven on NCL..very family friendly.

This makes me a bit nervous about MSC...thoughts?

Have seen a few(very few) children, mostly toddlers in the restaurant. Have never seen children at the pool area.

However, we do not travel during the summer school break so I do not know if that would be different.

The YC will be fine for your family. We have sailed with our daughter twice in the YC and have gone with other families as well. We have had a blast. It is true that the ratio of families in the YC versus the ship as a whole is lower. It also may seem like there are less children because the sheer size of the YC makes it seems at times there is no one else on board but you.

Edited by parallax

I have done the YC a couple of times and there have been families with children each time. Part of the reason I like the YC is because it's a sanctuary to get away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the ship. That being said the majority of children in the YC were well behaved and I barely knew they were there. The only exception was when there were several kids in the hot tubs so basically you couldn't relax in there and at the pool. The one pool is on the small side but very nice. If kids are jumping in the pool you will get splashed ... one day I had to get out and the parents really didn't care if the 3 kids were jumping and splashing, again I just got out until they left. Other then that I've never seen issues in the restaurant but I've heard others talk about crying babies and such, I haven't experienced any of that. MSC is a family cruise line so I except children. Also Italians(europeans) do things a little differently, they allow their children to sit at bars. My feeling on that is if the bar is crowded and a child is taking up a stool I'm not happy and the drinking age is 18/21 so we know they are not having an adult beverage or adult bar conversation.. IJS my 2 cents.

Edited by Crzyfrk62

I'm booked, so hoping for the best. It is not right that you had to get out because of these kids, the parents should have told them no jumping or splashing there are adults in pool or spa, when adults leave then continue, not the other way around that you had to get out. Where is respect for adults. Been on too many cruises where parents let their kids run rampant taking over pools and spas, corridors and elevators, then when one gets hurt they are the first ones to complain. Parents supervise your kids, put down your drinks and books and see what your kids are doing.

I greatly appreciate the responses guys!

My kids are generally well behaved...except for when they aren't. If you have young kids, you know what i mean. Of course, if at dinner or wherever...that's when we would get up and leave the restaurant.

My kids are perfect by no means...don't think there is such a thing. They are autistic and sometimes have a meltdown...but we do our best to get them away from other people as not to mess up their enjoyment.

I think it should work out well and we will do some more research! Thanks again!

I have done the YC a couple of times and there have been families with children each time. Part of the reason I like the YC is because it's a sanctuary to get away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the ship. That being said the majority of children in the YC were well behaved and I barely knew they were there. The only exception was when there were several kids in the hot tubs so basically you couldn't relax in there and at the pool. The one pool is on the small side but very nice. If kids are jumping in the pool you will get splashed ... one day I had to get out and the parents really didn't care if the 3 kids were jumping and splashing, again I just got out until they left. Other then that I've never seen issues in the restaurant but I've heard others talk about crying babies and such, I haven't experienced any of that. MSC is a family cruise line so I except children. Also Italians(europeans) do things a little differently, they allow their children to sit at bars. My feeling on that is if the bar is crowded and a child is taking up a stool I'm not happy and the drinking age is 18/21 so we know they are not having an adult beverage or adult bar conversation.. IJS my 2 cents.

Exactly! Thanks for your very true clarification! And, at least here in Europe MSC even has a kids bar menu with some really nice virgin drinks that of course even adults can order from! As a non drinker for medical reasons I highly appreciate those drinks at my cruises!... Have a good evening!... :)

I started cruising with my 3 year old in the YC when he was 3 months old. He has subsequently been in the YC 8 times with numbers 9 and 10 coming up in the next few weeks. When I cruise with him off-season, he is often the only child in the YC. During holidays it is totally different. In June of last year there were 15 small children in the YC. Wow, that was quite the trip. However, in September of last year, he was the only child. I think I was on the ship when the previous poster commented about splashing kids this past May. I just wanted to yell at the parents and tell them to supervise their kids but they were too busy drinking at the pool bar! That being said, that was really the ONLY time I had any issue with kids in the YC. Typically, they are extremely well behaved. The kid's program on the ship is amazing and my little one will eat dinners with them most nights while I relax and enjoy a quiet dinner and dessert in Le Muse. The kid's club provides an excellent service...they will pick up your child in Le Muse after they have had a chance to eat with the family (I schedule the pick up about 45 minutes after we have been seated...that gives my little one a chance to eat) leaving you with a leisurely amount of time to finish your dinner, have that last glass of wine, and have dessert and coffee. The best of all worlds! YC is very family friendly...the butlers and staff miss their children back home terribly and are thrilled to have a little one to hug on!

Edited by kathiean

Kids jumping and splashing in the pool, and having way too much fun. That must have been terrible for the adults to get splashed with water whilst in the pool, and to listen to all that laughter. I totally absolutely agree that parents should supervise their children, but come on they have every right to enjoy the pool as much as any adult. BTW my children are adults now and I love the YC for the peace and quie, but I would much rather listen to cchildren laughing and having fun in the pool than screaming and crying in the restaurant.

It's not any adults right to be automatically respected by children, you need to prove you deserve that respect and to show it back.

Don't agree with kids have every right to splash etc. I know that on the Seaside kids sale free, adults pay full fare, so they certainly didn't pay for this right, the adults did. Adults pay for the right to enjoy all facilities. Kids should be able to have fun but there is a time and place for it, maybe the main pool, kids club, etc.

Kids jumping and splashing in the pool, and having way too much fun. That must have been terrible for the adults to get splashed with water whilst in the pool, and to listen to all that laughter. I totally absolutely agree that parents should supervise their children, but come on they have every right to enjoy the pool as much as any adult. BTW my children are adults now and I love the YC for the peace and quie, but I would much rather listen to cchildren laughing and having fun in the pool than screaming and crying in the restaurant.

It's not any adults right to be automatically respected by children, you need to prove you deserve that respect and to show it back.

Thanks mom!! I don't have children and so my life is a little different. No where did I say they couldn't laugh and play. I could have been a crappy person and complained to their parents or even scolded the kids.... people do that. Instead I let them have their fun and chose to get out of the pool.

Please don't quote me and then try and judge and lecture me because I didn't want to get continually splashed by 3 kids doing cannon balls into a small pool. I never asked for any respect in my statement and so I don't know what your referring to. I will say this, why is it that most parents think everyone else, especially others that don't have children, have to deal with their brats no matter what? On planes, on cruise ships, in restaurants if your kids are rude and disrespectful then I don't blame the child I look at the parents.

Don't agree with kids have every right to splash etc. I know that on the Seaside kids sale free, adults pay full fare, so they certainly didn't pay for this right, the adults did. Adults pay for the right to enjoy all facilities. Kids should be able to have fun but there is a time and place for it, maybe the main pool, kids club, etc.

A time and a place for fun? Geeze... I thought thats what vacation was for.

There's a reason why Vibe is so popular on Norwegian.

And why people who spend $$$$ for the Haven on Norwegian still feel they have to spend even more money for Vibe passes.

Children should be able to have fun but should also be taught respect and parents don't get a pass on parenting because they're on a cruise.

I typically find the behavior of adults more abhorrent than the children on a cruise so I always roll my eyes when I hear this argument. If you sail with children in the YC club, it is not free; there is a cost. Yes, will children get a little loud from time to time or splash in the pool but it is not a capital offense. Your interaction is going to be much more limited than you realize.

If you are looking for solely an adults on playground look elsewhere. When we were on the Divina a few months ago the maitre d came over to our table and asked if the kids who were travelling in our group with us could lower our voices. The ridiculous thing was that the adults at our table were louder. The maitre d intimated that a couple were not very happy that they were close to the kids and that they were acting loud. When we talked to Guiseppe after the couple had left, he indicated that this happened at least once a cruise. Certain passengers believe that they are entitled to kids free YC and will report any transgression, real or not.

There's a reason why Vibe is so popular on Norwegian.

And why people who spend $$$$ for the Haven on Norwegian still feel they have to spend even more money for Vibe passes.

Children should be able to have fun but should also be taught respect and parents don't get a pass on parenting because they're on a cruise.

When we were on the NCL Epic out of Barcelona on Sea days we didn't mind paying extra for the adult only area. It was definately worth it to me.

Tolerance levels are different from person to person so if you know what your level is you can prepare yourself.

I'm not ruining my vacation experience by picking an argument, or bitching about one thing or another. There are plenty of places I can go on the ship to have fun and it's easier to remove myself from the annoyance (IMO) then to make a big deal about it. I know I'm loud and like to have fun... I'm sure I've annoyed people. I got shushed at the piano lounge because I was singing to loud!!! LOL! Oh well. ( I wasn't the only one).

I typically find the behavior of adults more abhorrent than the children on a cruise so I always roll my eyes when I hear this argument. If you sail with children in the YC club, it is not free; there is a cost. Yes, will children get a little loud from time to time or splash in the pool but it is not a capital offense. Your interaction is going to be much more limited than you realize.

If you are looking for solely an adults on playground look elsewhere. When we were on the Divina a few months ago the maitre d came over to our table and asked if the kids who were travelling in our group with us could lower our voices. The ridiculous thing was that the adults at our table were louder. The maitre d intimated that a couple were not very happy that they were close to the kids and that they were acting loud. When we talked to Guiseppe after the couple had left, he indicated that this happened at least once a cruise. Certain passengers believe that they are entitled to kids free YC and will report any transgression, real or not.

Couldn't agree more. If you want a child free holiday, don't go on a child friendly cruise and complain about the children having fun. I've encountered much more rude and loud adults in the YC the children. On our last cruise there was a very very loud american couple, who shouted and snapped their fingers at the butlers all the time, so rude and disrespectful.

I'm booked, so hoping for the best. It is not right that you had to get out because of these kids, the parents should have told them no jumping or splashing there are adults in pool or spa, when adults leave then continue, not the other way around that you had to get out. Where is respect for adults. Been on too many cruises where parents let their kids run rampant taking over pools and spas, corridors and elevators, then when one gets hurt they are the first ones to complain. Parents supervise your kids, put down your drinks and books and see what your kids are doing.

Listen if my kids are there first then the "ADULTS" should have respect for my kids splashing and playing - Now if we come upon adults there first then that is completely different I would make sure my daughter did not go crazy until they left but with that being said - I am not going to make my daughter sit around all meek and quiet and not make a single splash just because an adult is there - the pool area is for all to enjoy and I would like to hope that "ADULTS" can remember the time when they were little and how much fun it was to play in the pool

EXACTLY!

Everyone's idea of "kids having fun" is different. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise and there was a group of kids around 8-12 and the parents were in a group a few rows back from the beach pool. The kids were running around the pool, jumping from one of the higher levels, one landed on another passenger. One of the boys ended up falling on the pool deck and smashing his head...hard! That is when the parents finally paid attention. I do NOT find this fun. The parents were then angry that their son fell "on a wet, slippery deck" implying it was the ship's fault.

Everyone's idea of "kids having fun" is different. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise and there was a group of kids around 8-12 and the parents were in a group a few rows back from the beach pool. The kids were running around the pool, jumping from one of the higher levels, one landed on another passenger. One of the boys ended up falling on the pool deck and smashing his head...hard! That is when the parents finally paid attention. I do NOT find this fun. The parents were then angry that their son fell "on a wet, slippery deck" implying it was the ship's fault.

Well this is clearly a case that is not what I am referring to - I would have went and got someone to tell them to knock it off and if they did not then I would have told them myself (Honestly if a kid is doing something dangerous I don't care what the parents say about me telling them to stop)

My daughter does not do dangerous things - she is loud and she splashes and yah sometimes she jumps into the pool from the side (depending on depth of pool of course) but she knows better then to run, or purposedly aggravate others

I don't stop those any more unless they bother me. I go with "letthemkillthemself" attitude now. :rolleyes:

Listen if my kids are there first then the "ADULTS" should have respect for my kids splashing and playing - Now if we come upon adults there first then that is completely different I would make sure my daughter did not go crazy until they left but with that being said - I am not going to make my daughter sit around all meek and quiet and not make a single splash just because an adult is there - the pool area is for all to enjoy and I would like to hope that "ADULTS" can remember the time when they were little and how much fun it was to play in the pool

EXACTLY!

Really? :rolleyes: I wonder how many time a day you been told to take your splashing kid somewhere else. :rolleyes: