Fire on Aurora

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:50 PM.
#1
161 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Fire in the engine room of the Aurora right now. All electricity gone and all passengers told to return to their cabins. Crew on full alert at their stations. We are mid Atlantic heading for the Azores but right now not moving apart from being tossed about by the swell.
#3
Sunderland England
4,643 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Balaena
Fire in the engine room of the Aurora right now. All electricity gone and all passengers told to return to their cabins. Crew on full alert at their stations. We are mid Atlantic heading for the Azores but right now not moving apart from being tossed about by the swell.
OMG hope it gets sorted.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
#4
161 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Captain has just announce crew stand down and the engine room is out. Been at a standstill for almost an hour so far. They are working to get emergency generators to work.
#8
Cambridgeshire
2,526 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Balaena
Fire in the engine room of the Aurora right now. All electricity gone and all passengers told to return to their cabins. Crew on full alert at their stations. We are mid Atlantic heading for the Azores but right now not moving apart from being tossed about by the swell.
Note in conjunction to the "Muster Stations" thread, that in this emergency passengers have not been sent to muster stations or promenade (boat deck). One would assume that the crew need unrestricted access down all passageways to fulfil their emergency roles and are not going to be serving in bars etc. Therefore passengers have been ordered to go to cabins. This allows the space crew need.

We now know the fire is out and a technical recovery is now needed and presumably in progress with damage report and repairs being scheduled.

Should the situation needed escalation everyone in their own cabin would be ideally placed to collect life jacket out the wardrobe and move on to muster station if required.

Hope all goes well and you get back to happy cruising.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess
#9
814 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
She had a similar problem when we were on her 9-20 August. We were delayed leaving port by a couple of hours one evening.
Hope everything is quickly resolved and you are underway again soon.
#11
Scotland
689 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by groovechick
She had a similar problem when we were on her 9-20 August. We were delayed leaving port by a couple of hours one evening.
Hope everything is quickly resolved and you are underway again soon.
Was it an engine room fire in August as well?

Hope all is well on this occasion, sounds like the Captain and crew have it all under control.
#12
Dorset, england
585 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Balaena
All moving, out of action for almost 2 hours ... bit of a worry but all seems okay now.
I'm very glad that things seem to be OK now. I hope everything is soon back to normal.
#14
Sunderland England
4,643 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by john watson
Note in conjunction to the "Muster Stations" thread, that in this emergency passengers have not been sent to muster stations or promenade (boat deck). One would assume that the crew need unrestricted access down all passageways to fulfil their emergency roles and are not going to be serving in bars etc. Therefore passengers have been ordered to go to cabins. This allows the space crew need.

We now know the fire is out and a technical recovery is now needed and presumably in progress with damage report and repairs being scheduled.

Should the situation needed escalation everyone in their own cabin would be ideally placed to collect life jacket out the wardrobe and move on to muster station if required.

Hope all goes well and you get back to happy cruising.

Regards John
Well explained.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
#15
161 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
All back to normal and moving along at a pace to catch up time lost. Thanks for the good wishes, was a bit of a worry at the time, we were all prepared to go to our muster stations.
#16
Sunderland England
4,643 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Balaena
All back to normal and moving along at a pace to catch up time lost. Thanks for the good wishes, was a bit of a worry at the time, we were all prepared to go to our muster stations.
Great news,Aurora is one of our favourite ships, enjoy the rest of the cruise and hopefully plain sailing from now on.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
#17
Solihull
2,136 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
We've been onboard Arcadia when there has been a fire ☹️ it's worrying at the time, but glad you are ok x


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#18
Stoke on Trent, England
4,932 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
We were on Britannia 11.30pm when there was a suspected fire in the engine room --- frightening to say the least.

Glad that the Captain and crew handled it all well (as ever) and that everyone is safe.

Safe journey everyone
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Sailed on:
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
#19
UK
234 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
We were on Aurora last Christmas, and at a sailaway party in the Caribbean, I spotted some 'impressive' black smoke and flames coming out of the funnel for quite a while... Some carbon (or something) was being burnt off... Due to the sailaway, most people were oblivious, but I was relieved we were in a port, else it would have been a little more concerning!

Glad all is well for you on board, and enjoy the bottle of wine, that I've read on FB that you're all receiving
#20
814 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
Was it an engine room fire in August as well?
Yes, IIRC it was. We'd noticed some very black smoke coming from the funnel earlier, then around the time we were due to leave port the captain said that there was a problem, they were working to fix it, but we might be delayed a little. We were kept well informed, obviously as we were docked it was less worrying than if we'd be on the open sea.