Bring your own hammock. Yay or nay?

Vacaforever

i read it as a suggestion from a seasoned traveler for when you stop at ports. I'm going on a carribean cruise. What are your thoughts? Is it practical? There are small folding ones but u still need to find 2 trees

I have found that the areas around the few trees on Caribbean beaches are in high demand for the shade offered. In the back country you probably could rig a hammock, but why?

In my opinion, it would take up too much valuable luggage space and weight. Do you really think you're going to need a hammock? Often there are beach umbrellas and lounge chairs that can be rented for reasonable rates at beaches in the Caribbean, so you don't have to drag yours around with you.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I am amazed at the number of "why?" posts. Clearly not many hammock aficionados here.

beach-hammock-tropical-1920x1200-wallpaper448447.jpg

I agree too much hassle to pack (space is an issue though mine weighs little ) and finding a place to tie up on shore would be hard. but... sigh

I wouldn't bring one but after having one of those teensy balconies recently, I might like it for the balcony. This balcony (NCL Getaway) was so small there was no way to comfortably lounge and read. Or really even sit. We used the balcony only for light and entering/leaving ports.

I have no idea how you would attach it though.