Need Help Regarding Pre-Cruise Hotels, Transportation, Tours in Rome

DragonOfTheSeas

When we visited London 3 years ago before a TA we were able to get lots of valuable information on Cruise Critic. I started a thread that I used over time to make hotel, touring and transportation decisions. In addition, other travelers used the thread to ask individual questions without having to create their own thread. So, I am creating this thread hoping I have the same success.

We are mature travelers with no mobility issues—although we do not have the stamina we did at 30. [who does?] :rolleyes: We are traveling with another couple and are all interested in history. . . . DH says I cannot pass a fort or church without visiting. We will have to prioritize our church visits in Rome or we will not see anything else.

I have been researching our Rome visit extensively and have found just enough information that I can ask intelligent questions [or I hope they are]. I have the Rick Steves’ Rome 2018 book and have read many of the threads in this forum.

As I find information I will post it here to help others. FYI-- Rome is on Central European time. It is 6 hrs ahead of Washington, DC. Sunrise/sunset is 6:42 am /5:04 pm on Nov 1st and 6:47 am /4:59 pm on Nov 5th.

We have plans for our first day. Please let me know if you think it makes sense. . . .

This is a test. I am trying to post our first day plans--but, I am getting an access denied message. I am including a link so I will see if this simple text message gets posted.

edit--OK this worked. So, I will go back and edit out the links and post our plans.

. . Here are our plans for the day we arrive:

We have never been to Rome. This will be our 4th westbound TA. [2 – from BCN, 1-- from Harwich nearLondon]. We land at FCO via Lufthansa at 12:20pm on Wednesday November 1, 2018 and leave from Civitavecchia aboard the Jewel of the Seas at 5:00pm Monday November 5, 2018.

We know that November 1stis All Saints’ Day and various schedules and activities will be impacted that day. Therefore, we have decided to stay at an airport hotel and tour Ostia Antica [near airport] in the late afternoon on November 1. We used points to reserve the Hilton, which is attached to the airport. We will either check in [if the room is ready] or store our bags and take a taxi to Ostia Antica as soon as we can. The site closes at 4:30 pm that day so we could take a short nap before dinner if we must. We try to stay awake the day we arrive [or only a short nap] to make the time change.

Ostia Antica is a large archeological site, close to the modern suburb of Ostia, that was the location of the harbor city of ancient Rome, I would love, love, love to visit Pompeii. But, that is not possible on this trip. [or would not be a good use of our time] We hope this is the next best option.

Here is a link to a pdf tourist guide:

http://www.ostia-antica.org/touristguide.pdf

PS—The site is closed on Mondays,10 euro fee to enter and free the first Sunday of the month. However, we want to do this before we go into the city rather than going back outside ofthe city later to save time.

For those of you that have visited this site I would like to know if you feel it is worth the visit? Does our plan sound like it will work? We will likely have 1.5-2 hrs to visit before the site closes.

We will head into the city early the next day.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Ostia Antica is a huge site (much like Pompeii is a huge site, although the two are also very different....).

It looks like you've put a lot of thought into it, and I agree Ostia is a good option for your first day -- gets you outside and moving around. However, I worry that 1.5 to 2 hours is hardly enough to do justice to the site. You'll definitely need to prioritize what you want to see in that amount of time. It's good that you've located the guide to the site, but you'll need to keep moving briskly

Some of the highlights of the site (in my opinion) are:

The Baths of Neptune (for the mosaics) & the Forum Baths (for the structure)

The Theater and Square of the Guilds (the mosaics in the square symbolizing various professions are fantastic)

Do visit some of the houses -- although the more interesting ones are often closed (e.g., House of Amor and Psyche). House of Serapis/House of the Charioteers (these are together) are a good one to pick & also includes some baths. The House of the Wine Bar is also fun.

And of course, look at at least one of the famous bakeries and the public latrine.

Skip the museum -- you won't have time

Not included in the brief tour guide -- you should at least walk by some of the horrea (warehouses), as they are quite well-preserved and they represent one of Ostia's primary reasons for existing -- to receive and store the grain supply of Rome.

You can usually find guides at the entrance who will offer to take you around Ostia Antica. Some are "official" and some are freelance. The freelance will probably approach you before you buy your tickets. We have used both on different occasions and they were equally good and reasonably priced. The place is huge and a guide will make the visit more interesting and efficient so you do not miss the more important places. Since you do not have much time, that would be a big plus.

Edited by marazul

Thank you both for your replies. We hope to have 2+ hrs to visit the site. It will all depend on the length of time to go through customs and immigration. We fly in from Frankfort, so most on our flight should be EU citizens that do not have a formal customs process. That should make it faster. [we hope] It seems like a short distance and a taxi to Ostia Antica will be fastest/easiest. I think I saw it was a 10 minute trip. [5.4 miles]

I have a question regarding the return trip to the Airport Hilton. I would assume there is not a taxi stand at the site. What are the chances a taxi will come to get us if called? I also thought we could ask the taxi to come back and get us at a given time. [i.e. 4:30 when the site closes]

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

I always have a plan B [and C] when I travel. So, I know we could take a train to Ostia Lido and a bus back to the airport. But, that is very roundabout for 4 tired travelers.

If you can, I'd arrange with the taxi driver who brought you to pick you up. If you will have a cell phone, you can have the number ready to call yourself.

There's no taxi stand at the site nor is there likely to be a taxi at the train station.

Uber is different in Italy, btw. The ride you hail may be more expensive than a regular taxi would be.

Uber.

If you can, I'd arrange with the taxi driver who brought you to pick you up. If you will have a cell phone, you can have the number ready to call yourself.

There's no taxi stand at the site nor is there likely to be a taxi at the train station.

Uber is different in Italy, btw. The ride you hail may be more expensive than a regular taxi would be.

I was not aware Uber operated in Rome. . . . Food for thought. I must admit I have never taken an Uber. I will have to get my DS to give me a tutorial. :o

My plan A is to ask the taxi to return at a certain time. At least one of us will have our cell phone on, so that would be a back up.

I think Uber would be plan B.

Thank you all for the input.

First thank you for starting this thread - I will be following any advice given.

We will be starting our cruise from Rome. We have nearly two years to research and plan and I am always searching for ideas.

We plan on going to Ostia post cruise and also spending the night at a hotel airport before our early morning flight home.

My DH is the one that wants to stop at any and all churches. Me, I love the history. We cruised Italy in 2015 and I have been wanting to go back since then.

You mentioned Pompeii - I really enjoyed my time there, the others thought it was ok but that was their thoughts on the Forum in Rome also. I am wired differently then they are because I could envision the whole whole thing. A lot of that is because I love the history but I read Rick Steves and he brings it to life if that makes sense.

Anyway I will definitely be following this thread.

I am currently researching hotel and tours vs DIY . . . and/or a combination of those. I will ask for advice when I narrow it down a bit.

I have an unusual question.

On the day we leave Rome to head to Civitavecchia [Monday Nov 5th] for the cruise I feel it would be a waste not to see something that day.

Since there are 4 of us a private transfer is not much more than a shared shuttle. We are leaning toward that. [We have decided against the train.]

Are

there interesting sights between Rome and the port that are on the way [or close by]? We know this would become a tour and be more expensive than just a transfer. However, it would be a good use of time.

I cannot find any information on this. Thanks in Advance. :Dedit: I do see tours that essentially pick up passengers at FCO and hit the Roman highlights before going to the port. We should have already seen those highlights during the previous 3 days.

On the day we leave Rome to head to Civitavecchia [Monday Nov 5th] for the cruise I feel it would be a waste not to see something that day.

Since there are 4 of us a private transfer is not much more than a shared shuttle. We are leaning toward that. [We have decided against the train.]

Are

there interesting sights between Rome and the port that are on the way [or close by]? We know this would become a tour and be more expensive than just a transfer. However, it would be a good use of time.

I cannot find any information on this. Thanks in Advance. :Dedit: I do see tours that essentially pick up passengers at FCO and hit the Roman highlights before going to the port. We should have already seen those highlights during the previous 3 days.

If you're going to go the route of a private transfer, there are two ways of looking at it:

1) spend a little longer in Rome and get in another half day of sightseeing before leaving for the port -- perhaps less important to you as you'll have several days in Rome (but Rome has so many world-class things to see). A benefit is that this wouldn't increase the cost of your transfer.

2) consider stopping somewhere, as you mention above. One idea would be to stop and see the Etruscan tombs in Tarquinia -- but I think you are leaving on Monday, so both the tombs and the wonderful museum in Tarquinia would be closed. Same would be true for the necropolis at Cerveteri, another option. Not sure how much there is to see/do around Lake Bracciano, but maybe...? I can't think of much else that's not too far out of the way of your route from Rome to Civitavecchia.

If it were me, I'd stay longer in Rome. But then, I'm not exactly the voice of reason when it comes to Rome...

I am currently researching hotel and tours vs DIY . . . and/or a combination of those. I will ask for advice when I narrow it down a bit.

Are

I was thinking the same thing - we are not among those that rush to the ship, especially when I can spend a few more hours in Rome. I am thinking a private transfer. That way we can wake up, enjoy a Roman breakfast at a local coffee bar and since we plan on staying near Trevi fountain we can take a walk and just take it all in again. The last time I left Rome I was near tears. I know some say that about Venice but Rome keeps drawing me back.

If you're going to go the route of a private transfer, there are two ways of looking at it:

1) spend a little longer in Rome and get in another half day of sightseeing before leaving for the port -- perhaps less important to you as you'll have several days in Rome (but Rome has so many world-class things to see). A benefit is that this wouldn't increase the cost of your transfer.

2) consider stopping somewhere, as you mention above. One idea would be to stop and see the Etruscan tombs in Tarquinia -- but I think you are leaving on Monday, so both the tombs and the wonderful museum in Tarquinia would be closed. Same would be true for the necropolis at Cerveteri, another option. Not sure how much there is to see/do around Lake Bracciano, but maybe...? I can't think of much else that's not too far out of the way of your route from Rome to Civitavecchia.

If it were me, I'd stay longer in Rome. But then, I'm not exactly the voice of reason when it comes to Rome...

Traveling on a Monday is an issue. We see that many sites are closed that day.

Traveling on a Monday is an issue. We see that many sites are closed that day.

Many museums are closed, but a lot of sites and churches are open. If you plan well, you'll easily find something to do on a Monday morning. Some things open on Mondays:

Vatican museum (one of the few)

Colosseum, Forum & Palatine Hill

The Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini (reservations a must)

Baths of Caracalla

Galleria Doria Pamphilj (family palazzo crammed with Renaissance and Baroque art)

Basilica of San Clemente -- fascinating church with 3 levels of history

All 3 of the major catacombs along the Appian Way

These are just some ideas and favorites of mine (well, except for the Domus Romane, but many people enjoy it) -- I could easily find half a dozen more as well.

cruisemom-

Lake Bracciano is an excellent suggestion for something to do on the way to Civitavecchia. The Odescalchi castle is one of the few attractions that is open on Mondays. After visiting the castle one could continue along the lake to Anguillara for a nice lunch.

http://www.odescalchi.it/#!/info-museo-castello-roma

Thank you!!

What a beautiful castle. I found it listed on one site as one of the top ten most beautiful castles in Italy.

ITALY-Bracciano-view-of-the-town-and-the-Odescalchi-castle-.jpg

I see it is described as an hour from Rome. Do you know approximately how far it would be from Civitavecchia? However, travel-wise it seems very doable.

I read on Trip Advisor that there are no tours in English. However, they provide a leaflet upon entry which provides ample info.

This is an excellent possibility. . . . are there any other suggestions out there?

I see it is described as an hour from Rome. Do you know approximately how far it would be from Civitavecchia? However, travel-wise it seems very doable.

I read on Trip Advisor that there are no tours in English. However, they provide a leaflet upon entry which provides ample info.

This is an excellent possibility. . . . are there any other suggestions out there?

It's about 45 minutes from Civitavecchia. Very doable. As for suggestions on a Monday, no. Any other day, I would recommend Tarquinia and the Necropolis which would be on the way to the port. There are some other interesting villages around, but I would just take it easy. Enjoy the castle and a drive along the lake for the views to Anguillara which is also a beautiful spot.

BTW - the castle has been the venue for some celebrity weddings - Christianne Amanpour, Tom Cruise (one of them), etc

Edited by marazul

I am in the process of emailing various transfer companies in Rome. For the 4 of us Rome in Limo transfer from Rome to port would be 170 euro. They are often mentioned on CC. Adding a stop in Bracciano to see the castle would be 400 euros. It is interesting to note they answered my email in 15 minutes. Impressive! :p

I found this website for Rome Cabs that has the exact tour we are considering.

http://www.romecabs.com/tours/precruise-rome-countryside-tour/

Their price for 4 on this transfer/tour would be 350 euros. But, if we get 2 other couples it would only be 450 euros. 8 is the max in their vans and it includes 1 large suitcase and a carry per person [this seems to be standard for a transfer].

I also sent an email to the Iteritaly company. I found them on Trip Advisor.

Are there any other companies you have used for transfer I should contact?

I am in the process of emailing various transfer companies in Rome. For the 4 of us Rome in Limo transfer from Rome to port would be 170 euro. They are often mentioned on CC. Adding a stop in Bracciano to see the castle would be 400 euros. It is interesting to note they answered my email in 15 minutes. Impressive! :p

Their price for 4 on this transfer/tour would be 350 euros. But, if we get 2 other couples it would only be 450 euros. 8 is the max in their vans and it includes 1 large suitcase and a carry per person [this seems to be standard for a transfer].

We used both Rome in Limo and Rome Cabs. We were happy with both.

Go with the Rome Cabs tour. It is an excellent company and a lot more reasonable than RIL. Your choice, but you can do a self-tour of the castle easily. Ceri is one of the villages in the area that are worth looking at. You will enjoy the day. I would hesitate adding 4 more people to the 4 of you. The van will be crowded and you can bet someone will exceed the luggage allowance and have a problem. If it is only 4, you can have a little extra luggage...