How not to get sick on a cruise? What meds?

Snuckles

I just read the "Just off the Breeze" report and have seen others where people get sick while on the ship or soon after returning. I know this is almost unavoidable with the number of people we come in contact with just being on a cruise. So besides washing hands often & using hand sanitizer what can we do to help protect ourselves? What should we pack to help soften the blow of the flu or an upper respiratory infection? So far I have,

Vitamin C

Alka-seltzer cough and cold or Theraflu

What else would be good? Also looking for preventative ideas as well.

I just read the "Just off the Breeze" report and have seen others where people get sick while on the ship or soon after returning. I know this is almost unavoidable with the number of people we come in contact with just being on a cruise. So besides washing hands often & using hand sanitizer what can we do to help protect ourselves? What should we pack to help soften the blow of the flu or an upper respiratory infection? So far I have,

Vitamin C

We swear by Immune-C... it's a fizzy powder that you put into 4-6 oz. of water. It's made by the people who make Emergen-C but the Immune type is good for trying to avoid catching colds because it has the B and C vitamins but also D and minerals like Magnesium and Zinc. Even when I do get sick, it ends up being so much milder and ending so much sooner, like 3 days! I travel with it and use it every day for at least a week before my cruises as well as the week following.

I usually bring sanitizing wipes and wipe all touch surfaces in my stateroom...door knobs, toilet knobs, sink, remote. Things like the back of the chair that you pull out, drawer knobs, etc.. Yes, the cabin stewards do this, but I back them up myself.

I usually bring sanitizing wipes and wipe all touch surfaces in my stateroom...door knobs, toilet knobs, sink, remote. Things like the back of the chair that you pull out, drawer knobs, etc.. Yes, the cabin stewards do this, but I back them up myself.

I've been known to do this too if I remember,lol

If you are within 3 feet of someone with Influenza, there is nothing you can do. It is airborne. Sanitizer and wipes help to keep hands and surfaces free of most germs, but they do NOT kill Norovirus. Only a professional grade special cleaner used in hospitals or bleach will kill that. If you bring wipes, but Clorox. But as for any Influenza or respiratory virus, that is airborne. Unless you care to wear a mask throughout your whole cruise, there’s no avoiding it. I am a retired RN that follows all the rules of basic infection control, including washing my hands almost obsessively, and still left my last cruise with Influenza A that went into left lower lobe pneumonia—-all within 2 days of first symptoms. Since I started symptoms on debarkation day, I had to have been exposed 1-3 days prior, as that is the incubation period. What can I say, **** happens. Sometimes NOTHING can be done to prevent it. Oh, and I had both my flu shot and pneumonia Prevnair13 in October. But my Dr said that the flu shot was only 30% effective this year. It probably just lessened my symptoms. You could have fooled me, as by the time my flight arrived in Buffalo, I had a fever of 103. I went to the dr next morning. So, continue your basic measures of sanitizing and hand washing, but try to steer clear of anyone coughing or sneezing. Not always possible on a cruise ship full of passengers. And just hope for the best. BTW—-I booked my next cruise for March 2019, instead of January or February, hoping I can avoid peak flu season, but I know there is no guarantee. It will not stop me from cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are talking about a virus, a cold, etc there is nothing you take to prevent it.

Key are to wash hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.

Don't touch eyes, nose and mouth.

Try to avoid hugging people.

Get rest.

But taking things won't prevent it. If it was that simple everyone would.

Keith

Oh, I should add, that I, too, am a big proponent of vitamins. Prior to a vacation I increase my vitamin c from 500mg to 1,000mg. That’s is basically all that is in the products sold as Immune support. But Vitamin C is water solvable, so you excrete it almost as soon as you take it. It does not remain in the body. I also take B vitamins, which is another good one for you. But always check with your MD before starting any vitamin regiment, as some interfer with medications that you may be on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You do your best to avoid these illnesses. However, If someone comes on board and infects the ship, you may catch them even though you used all the preventives listed above..

Caught colds from people who didn't try to avoid contact with others.

Got on the Explorer of the Seas that was already infected with the noro. It became the Disease of the Seas cruise where approx. 1000 of us got sick and we had to return to Cape Liberty 2 days early.

Do what makes you feel best.

Most of the over the counter things don't do a whole lot.

I have heard that the Zicam SWABS do help, if you use them at the first sign of symptoms.

And hand washing, actually washing, not passing hands under the water, is the single best thing you can do.

Avoid touching your face, rubbing your eye, picking your nose, licking your fingers, using your fingers to eat unless you've washed your hands with soap and water. And if you do any of those things then wash your hands so you don't spread any virus to others.

From years of traveling to meetings with a thousand or more people coming from around the world, I find that the basics are most important. Get enough sleep and keep well hydrated - that will help your immune system fight things off if it can. When I go short on sleep, get a cold during the trip or shortly after about a third of the time. When I get a reasonable amount of sleep - at least 6 hours a night and preferably 8 hours, I rarely come home sick.

Other than that, washing hands and getting an annual flu shot.

For when all that fails, I bring pseudoephedrine to keep congestion under control, aspirin in case of fever (and because it doubles as an anti-inflammatory in case of injuries - I can't take NSAIDs), my preferred throat lozenges because colds always seem to go to my throat (the Ricola herb ones have an acceptable taste and work well for me). Also Immodium in case other kinds of problems hit on a day when I have to be out and about.

We use crazy amounts of hand sanitizer and hand washing. We also do not eat anything off the buffet with all the other people touching all the utensils. We only eat at places that serve us. Guys, Blue Iguana, the deli. We also never touch the railing on the stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Vitamin C

Wash , wash, wash your hands. Before and after you eat.

Use the towels in public restrooms to open door.

Immodium.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Soap and water...... the best thing you can do to keep yourself healthy when trafeling is wash your hands well with lots off soap an warm/hot water.

This is the best advice -prevention is far preferable to attempted cures . And careful cleanliness, while not 100% effective, very frequently works as a preventative - which is far better than even a "miracle cure"--- which has to involve discomfort until it takes effect.