What is there to do NEAR the port of Civitavecchia, Italy ~ other than go to Rome?

kerrykobik

Has anyone gone anywhere great within walking distance from the port? or taken a short taxi or train ride to anywhere exciting or worth seeing/doing ?

We do NOT want to take the long trip /commute all the way to Rome. Wondering whats around/near the port of Civitavecchia as an alternative? Any and All recommendations are welcome.

Wether its shopping, or a great restaurant or wine tasting or something fun to do or see.

We are traveling in early April

Thank YOU ! !

Truthfully there is not much to do in Civitavecchia. It's not a town with great charm, to put it mildly, or much of interest to see or do.

You might consider taking a bus to visit Tarquinia, where you can see the painted Etruscan tombs and visit their fantastic Etruscan museum. It does require some research on how to do it. Lots has been posted here on this forum if you do a search.

(The above assumes you're not there on a Monday, when both the tombs and museum are closed....)

Thank You so much , have not heard of that town- will def check it out.

We were trying to avoid the long 90 min commute ( each way ) to Rome

Am soo hoping to find something else. Thanks Again

I'm assuming you've been to Rome, otherwise, I can't imagine missing it. (And the train ride is just about an hour, not 90 minutes....)

30-minute Cotral bus ride will take you to Tarquinia up in the hills. Fantastic place. We went twice last year ... once to wander around the town and visit the Etruscan necropolis. And the second time to wander around a bit more and visit the great archaeological museum

I did not blog about the second visit, but here’s a link to my blog post for the first visit ... http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/08/day-137-civitavecchia-italy.html

Have fun.

Hi the last cruise I did we did not want to go to Rome either on account of having a 5 year old, a great grandpa and a teen with limited mobility. Everyone warned us not to stay in the port however we had a lovely day, we had a bit of a wander, found the market and spent some time there. We then found a little cafe and has fabulous coffee, there were no other tourists just locals playing dominoes and cards. The young lad behind the counter brought us a set of cards and we had a happy hour there. We then went down onto the front had a bit of a stroll then another hour foraging in the rocks for interesting wood and stones (5 year old's wish) Returning to the ship a little earlier than usual we watched everyone returning from their days out. !!

Hi the last cruise I did we did not want to go to Rome either on account of having a 5 year old, a great grandpa and a teen with limited mobility. Everyone warned us not to stay in the port however we had a lovely day, we had a bit of a wander, found the market and spent some time there. We then found a little cafe and has fabulous coffee, there were no other tourists just locals playing dominoes and cards. The young lad behind the counter brought us a set of cards and we had a happy hour there. We then went down onto the front had a bit of a stroll then another hour foraging in the rocks for interesting wood and stones (5 year old's wish) Returning to the ship a little earlier than usual we watched everyone returning from their days out. !!

We did something similar on our first cruise out of Civitavecchia a few years ago. Having spent lots of time in Rome, and having visited Tarquinia twice as I noted in my previous post, we’ll be doing a relaxed day in Civitavecchia this time as well ... mostly because the cruise we will be embarking for 2 weeks has no days at sea to relax, so we’re going to treat it as our day at sea. Plus we’re embarking a new-to-us ship, so early embarkation will give us a chance to explore it even if our cabins are not ready until later in the day.

If the OP is looking for something truly different or exciting to do in port, this is not the right option IMHO, but it’s a good one for a laid back day, that’s for sure.

Same here. We've been to Rome 3 times and don't intend spending a lot of money and time going there again from Civitavechia. We're on the Symphony in June and were hoping to just have a wander around the local town then head back to the ship to enjoy our drinks package and pool!!

If you are up to walking, there is a small museum (free) which was quite interesting;

also only open in the morning is a street market where locals shop which was something to see (fresh vegetables, fish, meats, etc. and clothing, accessories, etc.) where we did purchase a leather wallet and knockoff pocketbook - and were lucky as those vendors took American dollars. Meandering through the streets was quite interesting as well. You can always stop for snack.

I'm not trying to influence those whose minds are made up, but I just wanted to post here -- for anyone who may be on the fence about returning to Rome -- that there are so many world-class things to see and do there, even for those returning multiple times, like myself.

It doesn't have to be difficult or expensive to to go on your own. The train costs 12 euros round-trip. And another 2 euro (I think) for the bus to the port entrance. A great deal, and the trains are not difficult when you aren't encumbered with luggage.

Whatever your interests are, Rome has something for you -- wonderful Renaissance and Baroque churches with great art, fascinating Roman ruins that go beyond the Forum and the Colosseum (as well as world-leading museums with Roman finds: the Capitoline Museum and the Museo Na*ionale near Termini), the Borghese Gallery and gardens or the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj if you want to see how the rich and famous lived. For foodies, there are a number of markets, including a huge one at Testaccio with some prepared local specialties. And of course, gelato.

Have you put your hand into the Mouth of Truth (a la Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn) and visited the photogenic church behind it?

Have you visited a pyramid in Rome or the famously beautiful cemetery beside it where John Keats and Percy Bysshe Shelley are buried? (Or the house where Keats died, near the Spanish Steps?)

Have you seen the ruins of the imperial Baths of Caracalla? Or the even bigger ones built by Domitian that Michelango turned into a church near Termini?

Have you walked the Bridge of Angels and visited Castel Sant'Angelo? Or the Via Appia, ancient Rome's most famous road (and home to famous Roman tombs and catacombs that can be visited)?

Have you visited the excavations under St. Peter's that reveal portions of a Roman necropolis and what may be the burial place of St. Peter?

Have you considered taking a tour of EUR, Mussolini's 'city of the future'?

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

These are just a few things many first or second-time visitors to Rome haven't considered; most all of them would rank above a day in Civitavecchia in my book!

I'm not trying to influence those whose minds are made up, but I just wanted to post here -- for anyone who may be on the fence about returning to Rome -- that there are so many world-class things to see and do there, even for those returning multiple times, like myself.

It doesn't have to be difficult or expensive to to go on your own. The train costs 12 euros round-trip. And another 2 euro (I think) for the bus to the port entrance. A great deal, and the trains are not difficult when you aren't encumbered with luggage.

Whatever your interests are, Rome has something for you -- wonderful Renaissance and Baroque churches with great art, fascinating Roman ruins that go beyond the Forum and the Colosseum (as well as world-leading museums with Roman finds: the Capitoline Museum and the Museo Na*ionale near Termini), the Borghese Gallery and gardens or the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj if you want to see how the rich and famous lived. For foodies, there are a number of markets, including a huge one at Testaccio with some prepared local specialties. And of course, gelato.

Have you put your hand into the Mouth of Truth (a la Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn) and visited the photogenic church behind it?

Have you visited a pyramid in Rome or the famously beautiful cemetery beside it where John Keats and Percy Bysshe Shelley are buried? (Or the house where Keats died, near the Spanish Steps?)

Have you seen the ruins of the imperial Baths of Caracalla? Or the even bigger ones built by Domitian that Michelango turned into a church near Termini?

Have you walked the Bridge of Angels and visited Castel Sant'Angelo? Or the Via Appia, ancient Rome's most famous road (and home to famous Roman tombs and catacombs that can be visited)?

Have you visited the excavations under St. Peter's that reveal portions of a Roman necropolis and what may be the burial place of St. Peter?

These are just a few things many first or second-time visitors to Rome haven't considered; most all of them would rank above a day in Civitavecchia in my book!

All good suggestions. We spent three weeks in Rome two years ago, and will be there for a week this year. Some of these we have already done, others are already on our list ... I'll add the rest as well. If not this year, then for another trip.

All good suggestions. We spent three weeks in Rome two years ago, and will be there for a week this year. Some of these we have already done, others are already on our list ... I'll add the rest as well. If not this year, then for another trip.

I am with CruiseMom on the fact that there are lots of things to do in Rome. We have been 5 or 6 times and there are still lots of things to do. I think choosing one or two things to do is much better than that crazy first time when you try and see the whole of the Vatican, the whole of ancient Rome, all of Renaissance and the birth of Italy as a country. We went on that trip on our first visit. All I learnt that it was hot and that the Pope wisely left the Vatican for the cooler mountains in the middle of the summer.

We did however go to Tarquinia on our last Med Cruise. I talked about it here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2609954

and would highly recommend as a change if you have already enjoyed Rome.

I am one of those who does enjoy the town and have found that with each passing year it's gotten nicer.

So if you just want a day to relax and not rush around which sometimes is fun to do it would be fine to stay in the immediate area.

It is not earth shattering but can be a pleasant day.

The nearby Cathedral.

P1040387.jpg

P1040386.jpg

From there we walk the town. There are stores and cafes and then we walk along the shore up to the train station.

If you want a lot of history go somewhere else.

If you want a beach day go somewhere else.

But if you just want to have a relaxing time and maybe just stroll around and smell the roses (figuratively not literally) you can make it a nice day and part of that is returning to the ship and relaxing there.

If you don't need to recharge your batteries do something else.

Keith

We are looking for something to do around the Civitavecchia area as well. We will be on a back 2 back 2 back cruise which gives us one day here. We were hoping to find something closer than Rome (yes we have been several times and just want a different experience). A cute town with shopping, food and drink, and a bit of sightseeing would be lovely. We can take a train or rent a car if necessary (we have done both in Italy previously) and are comfortable doing something on our own.

We are looking for something to do around the Civitavecchia area as well. We will be on a back 2 back 2 back cruise which gives us one day here. We were hoping to find something closer than Rome (yes we have been several times and just want a different experience). A cute town with shopping, food and drink, and a bit of sightseeing would be lovely. We can take a train or rent a car if necessary (we have done both in Italy previously) and are comfortable doing something on our own.

If you're willing to rent a car, I would recommend Orvieto. Great place to spend the day.

:confused:How many of the above sites are open to the public on Mondays? Our only port day in Civitavecchia is a Monday. The Etruscan ruins really appeal to me but my hubby is more interested in the Roman buildings. I’m trying to decide what’s going to be the best plan of action whilst we are there. Many thanks.