Of all the things you have seen on a cruise, what left you the most awe inspired?

ontheweb

Visiting the Caves outside Jerusalem as part of a special event, an evening at Ephesus, evening tour of Vatican Museum, sailing off Antarctica and the Northwest Passage, the Lost City of Pretra and I would go on and on and on.

Keith

There have been many places I have seen on cruises that prompted me to feel a sense of awe, but two places stand out for me ..... The Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. and Ephesus in Turkey.

Both are simply mind boggling.

Standing with our entire family (at that time) with our hands on the pyramids in Egypt.

Being inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, and the ruins of Ephesus were two others that have left a lasting impression.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

There are so many. Each and every has it's own unique appeal, be it architecture, culture, history, natural beauty. Our world is truly and amazing place...isn't it!?!?!? Pyramids in Egypt to Alaska's natural beauty and every thing and place in between.

Far too many to name, but a few come immediately to mind:

-- Sailing into Istanbul and seeing the domes of Haghia Sofia and the Sultanahmet mosque

-- the sailaway from Venice down the Giudecca canal, passing St. Marks and the Doge's Palace

-- In retrospect probably the most awe-inspiring was an overnight excursion to Palmyra, in Syria. An outstanding site, well preserved in a beautiful setting. And now, mostly destroyed.

I would vote for the Parthenon and Acropolis in Athens.

A few runner-ups would be Gaudi architecture in Barcelona and the Book of Kells in Dublin.

Oh, you mean things I've seen on a cruise vacation, not on a cruise itself. The most awe-inspiring thing I've seen on a cruise has been a storm. The most awe inspiring thing I've seen on vacation that included a cruise were the redwood trees in Rotorua, NZ. Or maybe the glow worm caves in Waitomo (NZ).

The full Panama transit..especially going under the bridge of Americas knowing I was seeing the Pacific for the first time. We had just had lots of heavy hot tropical rain too.

Honourable mentions:

The stunning backdrop of Montenegro as we sailed in at Sunrise.(sail out was pretty good too)

The night time sail out of Costa Rica where the jungle was lit up with lights.

My Husband's picks:

The sail into Flam, Norway in a misty stupor

Sailing into Naples as the sun rose over Vesuvius.

Theres lots of other amazing bits off the ship too.

So many spots! Of course, the degree of personal connection (family/culture) makes a big difference.

In no particular order:

Lower Manhattan seen from Brooklyn with the Brooklyn Bridge in the foreground.

The NaPali Coast on Kauai.

Sydney Harbor at sunrise.

Pacific sunset sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge.

(not a cruise, but): driving south on CA Hwy 267 from Truckee to Lake Tahoe's Kings Beach at sunset in winter. (You'll finally see "Purple Mountains Majesty").

The Sistine Chapel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glacier Bay in Alaska; sailing into Budapest; Trois Pitons in St. Lucia; and the Panama Canal (complicated yet simple at the same time).

Roz

Oh, you mean things I've seen on a cruise vacation, not on a cruise itself. The most awe-inspiring thing I've seen on a cruise has been a storm. The most awe inspiring thing I've seen on vacation that included a cruise were the redwood trees in Rotorua, NZ. Or maybe the glow worm caves in Waitomo (NZ).

Heading there next Wednesday! Can't wait!