Temperature on board?

Nippy Sweetie

Just thinking about packing. How warm is it on board? I'm asking because the ambient temperature in some dining rooms on previous cruises has been a bit too hot for us. Obviously we'll bring layers but wondering anyway.

I assume the heating in the cabins is adjustable.

I found it was relatively warm in the dining rooms. We were on Transatlantic in March/April. DH commented that it would have been more comfortable if it was a couple degrees cooler in the Restaurant and Manfredi's. If I had to guess, I would put the dining room temperature at 72F/22C or higher. One evening we were in Manfredi's at around 8:30 and it was packed---that may have impacted the temperature. It was warm enough that we skipped dessert and practically ran for the door to the deck to cool off.

I prefer interior temperatures around 68F/20C if that helps. I get uncomfortable at around 72F/22C for sleeping.

The cabins is an adjustable thermostat without actual numbers. We had it on the coldest setting when we started out in San Juan. Moved it ever so slightly warmer as the weather cooled across the Atlantic. I would have preferred it slightly cooler when we started. The bigger issue was the bathroom floor heating---the bathroom was uncomfortably hot. May be be nice in cool weather though.

Just thinking about packing. How warm is it on board? I'm asking because the ambient temperature in some dining rooms on previous cruises has been a bit too hot for us. Obviously we'll bring layers but wondering anyway.

Yes, thankfully. We found the ship to be on the warm side. We kept our room cooler. I tend to prefer it cooler than most, though. (I’m a fresh air fiend, even in winter.)

We cruised in late April and concluded the trip in snow! But I didn’t see anyone using the many blankets scattered around the ship except when on an outside deck.

No idea what it’s like in warmer weather.

The room control is excellent, although as mentioned, there are no numbers, so you have to experiment for a day to two to learn where to position the dial for what you want overnight versus during the day. The hot bathroom floor can be a bother in hot climates, but you can ask your room steward to disconnect it.

We have been on a Viking Ocean ship in the Mediterranean and all the way up Norway, so we've seen the extremes in climates. For most of the ship, we found it remarkable that we didn't even notice the temperature. It was comfortable almost everywhere (at home, we typically set the daytime temperature to 72 and overnight to 70). My wife never had a need for a wrap, and we never felt like we were sweating. The one exception was the Wintergarden, Lanai, and Pool Grill area, which can be hot and muggy.

On the ship, we found that we dressed identically to what we would do to be comfortable indoors at home. The planning involves the itinerary off the ship and if you want to walk or dine outdoors while at sea.

We have been on a Viking Ocean ship in the Mediterranean and all the way up Norway, so we've seen the extremes in climates. For most of the ship, we found it remarkable that we didn't even notice the temperature. It was comfortable almost everywhere (at home, we typically set the daytime temperature to 72 and overnight to 70). My wife never had a need for a wrap, and we never felt like we were sweating. The one exception was the Wintergarden, Lanai, and Pool Grill area, which can be hot and muggy.

On the ship, we found that we dressed identically to what we would do to be comfortable indoors at home. The planning involves the itinerary off the ship and if you want to walk or dine outdoors while at sea.

Good idea to post one’s typical temperature range at home, since temperature preferences are so subjective. A large percentage of people on our cruise were from warmer climates in the US — the South, Texas, California, Arizona, Florida. I would guess that they’re better adapted to warmer temps than I am.

I would also guess that the temps you post here — mid-70s (lower 20s C) are what Viking aims for on their ships. I’m personally much happier in the 60s (15-20 C). We set our room to its coolest setting at night and up a little during the day. And I dressed more lightly in public spaces than I would at home.

I carry a temperature thermometer with me on all cruises. I measure the ambient temperatures throughout the ship.

Stateroom. 77 degrees. Heat/AC off.

Dining Room. 80 degrees. +/- 5 degrees.

Night Club. 83 degrees. +/- 5 degrees.

Public areas. 77 degrees. +/- 5 degrees.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I carry a temperature thermometer with me on all cruises. I measure the ambient temperatures throughout the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Wow! That’s warm. Where was this cruise?

. We asked for the bathroom floor heater to be turned off and that helped.

Just confirming the above comment!...

We didn't like the underfloor heating in the bathroom and the steward arranged for it to be turned off for the duration of our cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

I thought Viking Ocean wasn’t sailing to Alaska until 2019???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Apologies. Wrong forum. Should have been Princess. :(

We were on Viking Sea last July out of London. Temps were 82-84 and sunny.

We were on deck 8 and found our room uncomfortably warm, even with the controls on max. We called for help and while we were gone for lunch an engineer came by and made some adjustments and got the room temp down to where it was comfortable.

We had no other problems with temps on board, but I do wonder how these ships will perform in the heat and humidity of Southeast Asia when we sail next April.