Diet Cocktails???

Leafpeeper

Anyone have some low calorie low carb cocktail receipes? I am trying to lose weight for my February cruise and want to enjoy the holidays and still lose some weight.

Someone mentioned a Diet Coke (Vanilla) with Rum. I've heard there are less carbs in liquor than in beer and wine. Last night I tried a Cape Codder (cranberry juice and vodka) with Lime. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

bajabobs makes good lowcarb mixes (gosh... this is really an oxymoron).

If you want to lose weight... don't drink. Alchohol is full of carbs... and if you eat and drink at the same time, you burn the alcohol first, and your food gets stored as fat. If you are doing the low carb diets, really you shouldn't be drinking either.

Just my 2 cents from a fellow low carber.

I use the Ocean Spray Low Calorie Cranberry Juice. Has VERY FEW calories.

So that, mixed with vodka is a very low calorie drink.

I always bring a bottle of it with us on our cruises and keep it in the cabin.

Last night I went to a party that was serving a "specialty" drink of Johnny Walker scotch with vanilla soda. Diet vanilla could easily be substituted.

If I'm at a bar that doesn't have any diet mixers, I stick with wine and skip the sugary drinks (even though I love them!).

Jane

All straight sprits (vodka, gin, whiskey, taquila, etc.) have zero carbs...

It is the alcohol that makes you FAT... it is loaded with calories. Drinking... even with low carb mixers is fattening as heck.

Ventureman,

Who said anyone is FAT. We may have a bit more weight than we may want but it shouldn't subject anyone to a supposition like that. I found the emphasis on FAT in caps to be truly telling.

Hate to disappoint you but I am plump happy and I like to have a good cocktail.

Going to have a Mojito, Cosmo or a Chocolate Martini. Maybe all three.

YUMMMMMMMMMMY

mcboo:D :D :D

Thanks for all the info. I will definetely buy some low cal cranberry juice and soda over the holidays. The cranberry juice with a lime looks so colorful for a holiday drink. The rum and vanilla diet soda are a great idea too. I think I will pack it for my next cruise. I always bring wine, but also enjoy a cocktail on the balcony as well.

I tend to drink wine and dilute it with water and ice to cut down on the calories, but I like the idea of mixed drinks with low calorie juices or soda because I can add the amount of alcohol I want to keep the calories down. Fortunately, I am not fat--just want to lose the ten pounds I gained on my last cruise before I take my February cruise.

I don't know what brands may be available where you are, but locally we have a grocer with their own brand or sparkling water - no sugar, no carbs. The key lime flavor with vodka & even a touch of the low sugar cranberry juice with a squeeze of lime is very refreshing. I also like the tangerine with vodka as well. Also, if you like grapefruit, Fresca & especially the new peach citrus flavor, is a great no sugar, no carb mixer. Enjoy!

I am a diabetic so I am always on the look-out for low carbs drinks. I wanted to share some of my favorites.

Diet seven-up, vodka and a splash of tangerine/orange juice (keep it under 1/2 cup for 10 carbs) is good as well. You can substitute the OJ for any type juice just make sure you read the label. Most juices are usually pretty high in carbs. Cranberry juice has the least amount of any. (get the light cranberry for 1/2 the carbs)

The easiest is diet pepsi with coconut rum (0 carbs). I also love passion fruit rum and diet pepsi.

Minute Maid has some low carbs juice that can be mixed with liquor of choice for a great drink. This one is nice if you mix it in a blender with some ice and a couple of strawberries (frozen are better)

Any straight liquor does not contain carbs. The calories and carbohydrates come form what you mix it with. The amount in beer and wine will vary by brand.

I'd love to hear more ideas from everyone.

Tracy

Hi guys. I wasn't going to post, but I thought I might go ahead and throw in a little info as the previous poster asked for more thoughts/ideas on the subject of low cal cocktails. Allow me to preface my response with this, however: I teach Health/Kinesiology at the college level here in Tyler, TX. This includes sports nutrition, anatomy & physiology, nutrition, and biomechanics. I am only stating this so I don't come off as someone who doesn't know whereof she speaks....this actually is one of the few things I do know about.

It might interest some of our posters to know that while the carbs in alcohol (beer, wine, etc, etc) are listed on the label as such, they are not metabolized in the body as a true carbohydrate. What I mean is this-carbs and proteins have 4 calories per gram, while fat contains 9 per gram. When alcohol is, er, digested, the body does so at 7 calories per gram (almost DOUBLE that of a simple or complex carbohydrate). Which makes it only slightly less caloric in content than a gram of fat. Worse still, it takes 3 grams of water to store a single gram of carbohydrate, so many people feel "cotton mouth" after drinking too much---they then consume lotsa water and they bloat (for awhile....this will dissipate eventually). In the interim, your saturated tissues give you a puffy feeling & appearance if you have consumed enough of it.

It's too bad this isn't widely known, but any nutrionist can tell you the same thing. And this may very well be why alcohol consumption is often curtailed (and advisedly so) in darn near any weight loss program.

I'm sorry this isn't better news, but I hope this helps, even if only in making a more informed choice when consuming alcoholic beverages.

Almitra, so what is your cocktail of choice?

Tracy, Diet Pepsi and coconut rum sounds pretty good. I am going grocery shopping tomorrow and think I will pick up some of these recommended beverages. I can have a great holiday party trying out all of these different cocktails in small champagne glasses until I decide which beverages to bring on my cruise.

I remember sampling several cocktails in small glasses at a Captains Welcome Party on Carnival a few years ago. I didn't think I had consumed very much alcohol, but before I knew it, DH was bringing me back to the cabin to sleep it off.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

I bought some vanilla diet pepsi and rum today. I had to ask the cashier whether to get dark or clear rum--felt pretty dumb until the cashier didn't know either. Fortunately, a woman in the liquor store told me to buy the dark rum. I enjoyed a couple cocktails in the hot tub outdoors looking at the blanket of snow. We'll be emptying the hot tub pretty soon because our next electric bill could be as expensive as a short cruise.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Mary,

Sounds good, though probably a little too sweet for me. The drink I had last week and posted was vanilla soda and Johnny Walker Whiskey. To be honest, I think it was the first time I ever had whiskey. I liked the drink and thought it would be good with diet vanilla soda which is readily available.

Glad you like the rum and diet vanilla pepsi!

Jane

Rum (not the flavored ones but regular Bacardi rum) has no carbs. So if you order a rum and diet coke you are okay.

I have diabetes and this about the only thing I can "safely" drink- other so-called "diet" alocholic drinks run up my blood sugar-ofcourse I am not talking about losing weight but keeping my blood sugar at a safe level. So I guess it depends on why you want a "diet" alcoholic drink.

Mary,

Glad you like the rum and diet vanilla pepsi!

Jane

Now that sounds good to me-I wonder if I could get a diet vanilla pepsi (or coke) on a cruiseship.

They always look at me crazy when I order a rum and diet coke so usually I order a shot of rum and a diet coke and a glass and make my own rum and diet coke.

Archived