Less than 90 days and roll call is inactive

Shellbelle28

Is this now the Cruise Critic norm? I've read some speculation that Facebook groups are pulling the users away, but as far as I can see there's no Facebook group for my sailing either. clear.png?emoji-broken-heart-1392

After I booked our 9/16/18 Norwegian Pearl sailing to Alaska this week went to check out the roll call, it had been set up months ago and the OP hasn't posted since. There are maybe four other "real" posts, the rest are those auto-message thingies.

Something that really adds to my enjoyment of a cruise vacation is planning and chatting with fellow cruisers so I am sad about this! I love feeling as though I have friends already when we board the ship.

For all of my previous sailings the roll calls have been fairly active. My last cruise three years ago (same week, same ship, same destination as my upcoming sailing) the CC roll call did several fun activities and had a well-attended meet and mingle.

It is very possible that many or most of those on your sailing are not on CC. And sometimes people just prefer their own company and that of their travel companions. My DH is one of those types as I learned on our last cruise. He wanted nothing to do with meeting up with others outside our group of long time friends.

I am just the opposite and love to talk to everybody, but must say that I do not look to cruising as my way to make friends.

With the internet and hand held communication devices everywhere, people tend to keep their attention on the close friends and not so much with the world immediately around them.

Hopefully if no one joins the roll call, you will find other like minded folks when you get on board.

It is very possible that many or most of those on your sailing are not on CC. And sometimes people just prefer their own company and that of their travel companions. My DH is one of those types as I learned on our last cruise. He wanted nothing to do with meeting up with others outside our group of long time friends.

I am just the opposite and love to talk to everybody, but must say that I do not look to cruising as my way to make friends.

With the internet and hand held communication devices everywhere, people tend to keep their attention on the close friends and not so much with the world immediately around them.

Hopefully if no one joins the roll call, you will find other like minded folks when you get on board.

My DH thought it was dumb the first time around, but after our 2015 cruise and enjoying a slot pull, cabin crawl to see what other category staterooms were like, meeting the captain at our meet and mingle and getting a bridge tour, he was "So are you doing that thing online again this time?" :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

My DH thought it was dumb the first time around, but after our 2015 cruise and enjoying a slot pull, cabin crawl to see what other category staterooms were like, meeting the captain at our meet and mingle and getting a bridge tour, he was "So are you doing that thing online again this time?" :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thumbs up to him! :D

Is this now the Cruise Critic norm? I've read some speculation that Facebook groups are pulling the users away, but as far as I can see there's no Facebook group for my sailing either. clear.png?emoji-broken-heart-1392

Don't think it is the new norm. Our roll call for Symphony of the Seas transatlantic in Oct. now has 5,000 posts and 114,000 views. I think this sailing has set a record.

Don't think it is the new norm. Our roll call for Symphony of the Seas transatlantic in Oct. now has 5,000 posts and 114,000 views. I think this sailing has set a record.

WOW! (y)

Some Roll Calls are very active while others are not.

Hard to predict how they will go.

I no longer bother with them as we don't care for game playing, cabin crawls, etc.

Many years ago I did start a Roll Call for a Hawaiian cruise. Only one other couple joined. We met informally the first night of the cruise.

I wouldn't worry about it. Our May cruise this year had what I called several times "the world's least active roll call." But we had a good turnout at the meet and greet. Lots of people signed up near sailing time.

After I booked our 9/16/18 Norwegian Pearl sailing to Alaska this week went to check out the roll call, it had been set up months ago and the OP hasn't posted since. There are maybe four other "real" posts, the rest are those auto-message thingies.

Something that really adds to my enjoyment of a cruise vacation is planning and chatting with fellow cruisers so I am sad about this! I love feeling as though I have friends already when we board the ship.

For all of my previous sailings the roll calls have been fairly active. My last cruise three years ago (same week, same ship, same destination as my upcoming sailing) the CC roll call did several fun activities and had a well-attended meet and mingle.

My wife and I were on a cruise 5 years ago . At the M&G on the ship 5 passengers showed up and 6 members of the crew.quite embarassing.

We have met some absolutely lovely people by just saying hello and sharing a drink and a chat with them. I don't think it's imperative to join a Roll Call or be active on a FB page. Cruising is what brings people together and it is always fun just to strike up a conversation. I think you know pretty quickly if you want to continue talking with someone. ;p:D

We have met some absolutely lovely people by just saying hello and sharing a drink and a chat with them. I don't think it's imperative to join a Roll Call or be active on a FB page. Cruising is what brings people together and it is always fun just to strike up a conversation. I think you know pretty quickly if you want to continue talking with someone. ;p:D
Yes, that's absolutely a great part of cruising.

For me, another great part, an enhancement, so to speak, is the roll call. So I'm disappointed that there are no active participants.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

On our sailing last month on CC I think maybe 40 people signed up? There were over 600 on FB. On our sailing next year on the Magic, there are 2 people signed up on here, 235 on FB.
So how do people actually find these FB groups? Just by searching? I know I'm probably sailing close to breaking CC rules against promoting FB roll calls, but I'm curious.

So how do people actually find these FB groups? Just by searching? I know I'm probably sailing close to breaking CC rules against promoting FB roll calls, but I'm curious.

Just by searching for the ship + date. Most of them are also promoted in the pages for the ships and/or cruise lines as well.

Not everyone that goes on a cruise, especially first-timers, know of Cruise Critic, or realize that there is probably an FB page for their cruise. I believe some people join a roll call, either on here or any other social media site, primarily to get ideas and opinions about excursions, but not necessarily to meet new people.

Just by searching for the ship + date. Most of them are also promoted in the pages for the ships and/or cruise lines as well.
Re the decline in CC roll call participation, maybe people don't realize there is anything outside of Facebook on the internet these days and because Cruise Critic posts don't have a "like" button, they're just not having it LOL.[emoji41] [emoji41]

On our sailing last month on CC I think maybe 40 people signed up? There were over 600 on FB. On our sailing next year on the Magic, there are 2 people signed up on here, 235 on FB.

Wow!

I only found 2 Facebook groups for my ten cruises. Of the ten about half had an active roll call , although each had one set up, versus one active FB group.

Let's see ten years from now.

Wow!

I only found 2 Facebook groups for my ten cruises. Of the ten about half had an active roll call , although each had one set up, versus one active FB group.

Let's see ten years from now.

Maybe I was just lucky with past cruises. We've had some excellent experiences with folks we met via the roll calls, from shared private group tours in ports, parties in stateroom we'd never get to see otherwise, to just a friendly drink in a bar.

We've also had roll calls both large and small and meet wonderful people oddly enough mostly on the smallest roll call.

Our present HAL sailing is less than 3 weeks away. When I joined the roll call there was one other poster hoping to have someone else join. And no one has joined since I joined him on the roll call.

We've also had roll calls both large and small and meet wonderful people oddly enough mostly on the smallest roll call.

Our present HAL sailing is less than 3 weeks away. When I joined the roll call there was one other poster hoping to have someone else join. And no one has joined since I joined him on the roll call.

I hope you plan to meet up!

I have been on Cruise Critic for many years and only joined a Roll Call once. I prefer the company of the people I travel with, and also don't want to feel obligated to spend time with strangers just because we talked on a random website. So not even everyone here joins the Roll Calls.

We've had very active roll calls and very inactive ones. I feel the OP's disappointment about having an inactive one. Our Holland America cruise last year had about a dozen people post in the roll call. No one volunteered to organize a meet and greet.