Cancellation Due to Illness with TravelGuard Insurance

SailAwayStella

Hi there,

I am set to sail later this week but unfortunately I have come down with stomach flu. I do not anticipate recovering in time to go on the trip as I'm barely able to get out of bed. I have an appointment with my PCP tomorrow but am I able to cancel my cruise before then? I am anticipating my PCP will be in agreeance that I do not go as I may be contagious. I have Travel Guard for insurance which should cover this illness, I'm just not sure if I cancel before physically seeing my doctor would make my clai not valid. This was my honeymoon and I'm devastated to be missing it, but would be even more upset if we are not refunded.

Thank you

I would wait until you've seen your primary because they have to certify that you are unfit for travel. A week is a long time for the stomach flu and you might be well enough to go on the trip (although the ship may want to quarantine you for a day or so). Hope you feel better!

Hopefully you'll recover quickly, but if not here's an idea. Can't guarantee that this will work, but it did for us with a different insurance carrier. Find the website for your insurance, and click on the "File a claim" button. This should bring up a list of requirements including the form that they want the doctor to sign. Print it and take it with you to the doctor visit. If he/she says you can't travel, have them fill it out. Some insurance carriers want their own form, not a generic letter from the physician.

FIRST, there is no rush to cancel. You have to realize that cabin will either be vacant or occupied by you, those are the only two possibilities in your case. Contact the insurance company and inquire the procedure for making a claim. Follow their directions since they are the only ones who matter. Be sure to keep copies of any paperwork. We once made a claim due to hospitalization, full refund within a month. As far as the cruise line, any contact is up to you since it has no bearing on the claim itself.

Do not think about canceling until you have talked to a physician. The terms of most policies require documentation from a medical professional that your illness prevents you from traveling.

Hank