Best denominations to bring for cash?

AlixPaige

We fly out for our cruise in 19 days. I've heard it's a good idea to bring cash. I was thinking $100 with me and $100 with him. We've prepaid our gratuities but may still do some extra tipping. What is the best way to break up the bills? How many 1s, 10s, 20s, do you generally decide to go with? We also want to use the cash to do some conservative port shopping.

We bank with USAA and that is in Texas so the only way that I know of that we can get cash is to ask for cash back when in the grocery check out or the ATM. The ATM will only give us 20s (unless this has changed in the past 6 years, haven't used an ATM since I was in college) and I don't want to take all the cash away from the cashier.

What do you suggest?

This may not help you for this cruise, but this is what I do. On my desk, behind my computer screen, I have a little box where I stash $1s, $5s and $10. Once or twice a week, I'll pull my current spending cash out of my pocket and put $5 or $10 in the box. By the next time a cruise rolls around, there is probably $150, or so, in the box. A day or two before we leave, I'll hit the ATM for $200 in $20s. Most of my tips are $10, or less. So, most of my $20s return from the cruise with me.

When we return from the cruise, any "leftover" $1s, $5s and $10s go back into the box. "Leftover $20s go in my pocket for spending.

Since you asked. . .

If I were breaking $100 into smaller bills for a 19 day cruise, I would do $70 in fives and $30 in ones. If you are doing $100 each, then I would suggest $170 in fives and $30 in ones.

You would probably run out of fives more often than anything, so this helps avoid having to stop somewhere to make change. If you need $10 or $15, well you can make it up with fives. If you don't use them, then bring them home -- easy peasy.

No special formula - just a seat of the pants.

Most USA banks are affiliated with a network of ATM machines that are usually available all over the world - USAA is a very large bank and you should have no problems. Ask your branch which machines will work for you and what kind of a fee they charge, which may be in addition to anything charged by the ATM at time of withdrawal. Yes, there have been some changes since you last used an ATM; the ones at our bank now allow me to specify what denomination bills I want - at least $5, $20, or $100 denominations. If you want anything else, you need to go to a teller.

We never travel with only $200....if you NEED cash, it's good to have it! We generally bring $1500 for a week long trip. We bring mainly hundred dollar bills, a couple $20's, and whatever change occurs during the trip...the ship can break down larger bills for you. Larger bills are easier to carry than wads of smaller denominations.

Whatever we don't need goes back in the bank when we get home.

We fly out for our cruise in 19 days. I've heard it's a good idea to bring cash. I was thinking $100 with me and $100 with him. We've prepaid our gratuities but may still do some extra tipping. What is the best way to break up the bills? How many 1s, 10s, 20s, do you generally decide to go with? We also want to use the cash to do some conservative port shopping.

We bank with USAA and that is in Texas so the only way that I know of that we can get cash is to ask for cash back when in the grocery check out or the ATM. The ATM will only give us 20s (unless this has changed in the past 6 years, haven't used an ATM since I was in college) and I don't want to take all the cash away from the cashier.

What do you suggest?

Strongly suggest you take more than a total of $200 in cash for the two of you.

Strongly suggest you take more than a total of $200 in cash for the two of you.

We rarely bring more than $200 and rarely spend it all. Tips for porters and the occasional tour guide or taxi. We may give something extra to the room steward and waitstaff on the last night. We do usually bring one credit card with us when we go ashore.That's it.

Not sure of US Banks and haven't heard of USAA, but I would expect they are part of a network - we can use any ATM displaying the "Plus" logo.

We only do longer cruises and while we use Visa for most expenses ashore we also purchase foreign currency from our local bank - always take US $ (mostly small bills <$20) and we purchase about $20 of local currency for each country we visit.

Since you asked. . .

If I were breaking $100 into smaller bills for a 19 day cruise, I would do $70 in fives and $30 in ones. If you are doing $100 each, then I would suggest $170 in fives and $30 in ones.

You would probably run out of fives more often than anything, so this helps avoid having to stop somewhere to make change. If you need $10 or $15, well you can make it up with fives. If you don't use them, then bring them home -- easy peasy.

No special formula - just a seat of the pants.

A 19 day cruise sounds pretty great! That's how long we have until we leave for the cruise. It's a 4 day cruise. A real short one, haha.

We are super conservative spenders when on vacation. We don't drink so no alcohol or bartender tips and we've already got our excursions paid for. We plan to shop when our excursions take us to the shopping areas but doubt we'll each spend over $30. We're doing the Catalina Island and Ensenada cruise aboard Carnival Inspiration. We have no cruise experience so we decided on a smaller ship to understand how cruising works. I'd love to go on RC Harmony of the Seas next year though.

We normally bring more cash than $200 but we pay cash for ports usually. We take about $500-$700n depending on how many ports we have. We bring half in bigger bills and then the rest in 20's and some tens. We get the guest services desk to break our larger bills before we head off the ship.

We never travel with only $200....if you NEED cash, it's good to have it! We generally bring $1500 for a week long trip.

I could not imagine going on a cruise, out of the country with only $200. Personally, I would not leave the house with less than $200 in cash.