Are there benefits to special diets (vegan) in suites?

Allonsea

I’m doing some preliminary research on cruise lines and something that I haven’t been able to find is whether or not I will have better luck with vegan meals if I stay in a higher class stateroom.

My fiancé and I enjoy traveling very much and all of our vacations have centered around food. We haven’t found any difficulty navigating larger cities when it comes to finding vegan fine dining and we’d like to try our luck on a cruise. Having read many posts and articles online, it seems as though vegan dining on cruises has come a long way. Still, it seems to be centered around stir fry, pasta, and salad; three items that require very little imagination or ingenuity from a chef. I am a personal chef myself, having graduated culinary school and working professionally now. It is not unfair to say that I have high standards when it comes to dining - and I want to ensure that my meals are given as much care and consideration as my omnivorous shipmates.

I know that we would like to stay in a suite (perhaps Celebrity or NCL because of the butler and concierge service). That is, I think that it would be beneficial to have a crew member’s ear when it comes to requesting vegan food that doesn’t feel like an afterthought.

Have any vegans here experienced cruising in suites? Do you find that you get better service from the kitchens based on the fact that you are a suite guest? In cocktail parties that are offered to suite guests, have you been catered to as well? Or have you been given a plate of fruit and crackers?

Any insight anyone can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m doing some preliminary research on cruise lines and something that I haven’t been able to find is whether or not I will have better luck with vegan meals if I stay in a higher class stateroom.

My fiancé and I enjoy traveling very much and all of our vacations have centered around food. We haven’t found any difficulty navigating larger cities when it comes to finding vegan fine dining and we’d like to try our luck on a cruise. Having read many posts and articles online, it seems as though vegan dining on cruises has come a long way. Still, it seems to be centered around stir fry, pasta, and salad; three items that require very little imagination or ingenuity from a chef. I am a personal chef myself, having graduated culinary school and working professionally now. It is not unfair to say that I have high standards when it comes to dining - and I want to ensure that my meals are given as much care and consideration as my omnivorous shipmates.

I know that we would like to stay in a suite (perhaps Celebrity or NCL because of the butler and concierge service). That is, I think that it would be beneficial to have a crew member’s ear when it comes to requesting vegan food that doesn’t feel like an afterthought.

Have any vegans here experienced cruising in suites? Do you find that you get better service from the kitchens based on the fact that you are a suite guest? In cocktail parties that are offered to suite guests, have you been catered to as well? Or have you been given a plate of fruit and crackers?

Any insight anyone can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

The food onboard the ship is the food onboard the ship, regardless of room category. If you require special foods it's best to contact the cruise line pre-trip and make then aware of your needs. That way they can stock up with anything they don't normally have on hand. After all, they can't just run out to the store once the cruise has started to meet your needs.

The food onboard the ship is the food onboard the ship, regardless of room category. If you require special foods it's best to contact the cruise line pre-trip and make then aware of your needs. That way they can stock up with anything they don't normally have on hand. After all, they can't just run out to the store once the cruise has started to meet your needs.

Oh of course. I meant, rather, do you find as a vegan diner that the quality of food is better as a suite guest as opposed to a guest in a lower stateroom. I would hate to be sitting at one of the nicer restaurants and be given a bowl of rice and steamed vegetables and have it be called fine dining.

Oh of course. I meant, rather, do you find as a vegan diner that the quality of food is better as a suite guest as opposed to a guest in a lower stateroom. I would hate to be sitting at one of the nicer restaurants and be given a bowl of rice and steamed vegetables and have it be called fine dining.

Want better food (vegan or not)? You'll need a premium or luxury line. Cabin category is irrelevant.

Queens Grill on Cunard will permit you to order pretty much what you want off-menu, provided that it's available on the ship and you give them reasonable advance notice (e.g., you can't show up at dinner and decide you want Peking Duck (or its vegan culinary equivalent, whatever that might be).

Want better food (vegan or not)? You'll need a premium or luxury line. Cabin category is irrelevant.

I understand that luxury lines would have better food all around, but my question is specific to the style and level of care put into food for vegan diners. The articles I’ve read have mixed reviews of main dining rooms and buffets and the level of success that a vegan passenger has varies greatly. I’m wondering if staying in a suite with a butler and concierge would give better results when it comes to consistency.

I read articles about cocktail parties with canapés and petit fours, fine dining with multi course meals, afternoon tea service with pastries, and room service breakfast on a balcony, and they sound delicious - if you eat meat and dairy. My question is about vegan options at this level. The dining perks that are afforded to omnivorous passengers at this level seem to far outweigh those offered to vegan diners - and that is what I’m trying to get clarification on.

From what I’ve read, passengers with vegan restrictions have found some successes by reviewing the next days menu and then altering items to fit within their dietary restrictions. As a suite guest, I’m wondering if there is more freedom within this system to create a meal that isn’t standard vegan fare (salad, pasta, stir fry). Is a chef more likely to accommodate more particular vegan requests if they come from a suite? Does a concierge or butler have pull in this respect?

I understand that luxury lines would have better food all around, but my question is specific to the style and level of care put into food for vegan diners. The articles I’ve read have mixed reviews of main dining rooms and buffets and the level of success that a vegan passenger has varies greatly. I’m wondering if staying in a suite with a butler and concierge would give better results when it comes to consistency.

I read articles about cocktail parties with canapés and petit fours, fine dining with multi course meals, afternoon tea service with pastries, and room service breakfast on a balcony, and they sound delicious - if you eat meat and dairy. My question is about vegan options at this level. The dining perks that are afforded to omnivorous passengers at this level seem to far outweigh those offered to vegan diners - and that is what I’m trying to get clarification on.

From what I’ve read, passengers with vegan restrictions have found some successes by reviewing the next days menu and then altering items to fit within their dietary restrictions. As a suite guest, I’m wondering if there is more freedom within this system to create a meal that isn’t standard vegan fare (salad, pasta, stir fry). Is a chef more likely to accommodate more particular vegan requests if they come from a suite? Does a concierge or butler have pull in this respect?

Oceania is well respected for living up to it's trademark "best food at sea." With reasonable advanced notice, the chefs onboard will do their best to accommodate your request for vegan food that will be exceptional. It doesn't matter whether you are in an owner's suite or an inside cabin.

Even with a concierge and butler (neither of who do the cooking), the food prepared is prepared by the same chef for "regular" cruisers and suite passengers. They don't really have time to focus on just one or two passengers to give them a gourmet experience. Their job is to make everyone feel like they're getting "fine dining".

I doubt that you'll get better food just because you're in a suite.

Even with a concierge and butler (neither of who do the cooking), the food prepared is prepared by the same chef for "regular" cruisers and suite passengers. They don't really have time to focus on just one or two passengers to give them a gourmet experience. Their job is to make everyone feel like they're getting "fine dining".

I doubt that you'll get better food just because you're in a suite.

Understood

If the ship offers a premium restaurant dedicated to the suite category of staterooms, then the offerings and preparations there may be more upscale and diverse than the MDR and buffet would likely offer. But if there is not a dedicated upscale restaurant offered for suites, then I don't think staying in a suite would provide better food options for you.

The only other option that may provide what you are looking for would be the specialty restaurants on board as their focus would be similar to a dedicated suite restaurant. You would have to talk to the maitre d or chefs there to see what might be available. But anyone can book and pay the fee for these on board so there would be no benefit associated with them by being in a suite.

Short answer to your question is that your stateroom category has nothing to do with the quality of food that you will receive. It doesn't matter if it vegan, or anything else (except Kosher, which is prepared off the ship and reheated on board). Being a suite guests will not get you any more freedom. The things you are reading about are for the most part available to every passenger on the ship.

Even with a dedicated suite restaurant you need to understand that all the food comes from the same kitchens, except for a few select specialty restaurants.

Even with a dedicated suite restaurant you need to understand that all the food comes from the same kitchens, except for a few select specialty restaurants.

In our experience the specialty restaurants had their own kitchens and preparations relative to their menu offerings and are separate from the MDR or buffet kitchens. They are also frequently located on decks many removed from that of the MDR.

Hi

To get a significantly upgraded culinary experience, you really should look at a premium cruise line. At the same time you will be able to enjoy all the other benefits of cruising with a premium/luxury cruise line.

have a great cruise

Can anyone speak to vegan options given as “afternoon treats” or cocktail hors d’oeuvres in lounges?

You mention two mass market cruise lines and then seem to be asking for gourmet or near gourmet cooking to suit your specific taste. If it were only so we would be very happy cruisers :). The reality is that we are happy cruisers but not particularly impressed with any of the cuisine on the mass market lines. Yes, there are some alternative restaurants (such as Murano on some Celebrity ships) that is very good (but not sure it would meet your Vegan needs) but mass market lines essentially have mass market cuisine (think decent banquet class).

Trying to equate suites with better cuisine is not normally going to work. Perhaps some of the Norwegian ships can deliver that kind of quality with their Haven suites but we doubt it! Celebrity has Luminae which actually gets its food from the main galley (they same place that serves all the masses). While their food quality is sometimes (not always) a level above the MDR, it is not going to meet your specifications. As to hors d'oeuvres in lounges on mass market lines...if you can even find a real hors d'oeuvres please let me know. On mass market lines a bowl of nuts or some pretzels is their idea of an hor d'oeuvres.

If cuisine is your main goal you do need to be looking at the higher end cruise lines that spend more money and put more effort into cuisine. But even many of those lines may not be able to meet your very specific Vegan requirements. We once cruised on a long HAL cruise with a gentleman who was a very dedicated Vegan. He had nearly all of his meals in the Lido buffet where he befriended some of the cooks who tried to make him a few special meals. But he told us that a majority of his dinners on the 62 day cruise consisted of variations of Pad Thai!

Hank

Can anyone speak to vegan options given as “afternoon treats” or cocktail hors d’oeuvres in lounges?

As aforementioned, when it comes to food, if you can't get it on Oceania, it's just not going to happen. Check with the maitre d's regarding the options at afternoon tea.

You mention two mass market cruise lines and then seem to be asking for gourmet or near gourmet cooking to suit your specific taste. If it were only so we would be very happy cruisers :). The reality is that we are happy cruisers but not particularly impressed with any of the cuisine on the mass market lines. Yes, there are some alternative restaurants (such as Murano on some Celebrity ships) that is very good (but not sure it would meet your Vegan needs) but mass market lines essentially have mass market cuisine (think decent banquet class).

Trying to equate suites with better cuisine is not normally going to work. Perhaps some of the Norwegian ships can deliver that kind of quality with their Haven suites but we doubt it! Celebrity has Luminae which actually gets its food from the main galley (they same place that serves all the masses). While their food quality is sometimes (not always) a level above the MDR, it is not going to meet your specifications. As to hors d'oeuvres in lounges on mass market lines...if you can even find a real hors d'oeuvres please let me know. On mass market lines a bowl of nuts or some pretzels is their idea of an hor d'oeuvres.

If cuisine is your main goal you do need to be looking at the higher end cruise lines that spend more money and put more effort into cuisine. But even many of those lines may not be able to meet your very specific Vegan requirements. We once cruised on a long HAL cruise with a gentleman who was a very dedicated Vegan. He had nearly all of his meals in the Lido buffet where he befriended some of the cooks who tried to make him a few special meals. But he told us that a majority of his dinners on the 62 day cruise consisted of variations of Pad Thai!

Hank

Thanks so much. I appreciate this reply, and all the replies.

Sigh. I guess I need to reign in my expectations

Thanks so much. I appreciate this reply, and all the replies.

Sigh. I guess I need to reign in my expectations

You only need to lower your expectations if you're not willing to pay for what you want.

That said, when you compare the net daily rate of an inclusive premium/luxury line versus being nickel/dimed for everything on a mass market line, you may be pleasantly surprised at the bottom line value. Nonetheless, you do "get what you pay for."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Not correct to say that cabin category is irrelevant.

I know for sure that the suite restaurants on NCL and MSC has better food than the rest of the ship.

I don't know how they handle vegan requests but it may be possible to get better vegan food in the suite restaurants.