Pre-cruise in FLL: What restaurants do you recommend?

poetic license

I'm asking you folks who typically come to port a day or two ahead of sailing for your recommendations for a good FLL seafood restaurant in particular and some good restaurant recommendations in general. (Please include the address if possible, too.) Some of us on our roll call for CENTURY's transatlantic in April want to get together for drinks and dinner the night before sailing. We usually fly in the day of sailing, so I don't have a clue about FLL restaurants. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.:)

Cheers,

Where are you staying, will you have a car, what kind of attire would you like to wear, how much do you want to spend, is food more important than ambiance or vice versa.

Truth be told my thighs prove I like to eat and we have some great restaurants in FT Lauderdale, so with a bit more info, I can steer you better

We like to head to Las Olas Blvd.

For breakfast we ALWAYS enjoy the food at La Bonne Crepe.

For lunch we like to go to Mangos...I love their seafood salad.

There are many restaurants along the blvd. If you want something mainstream Cheesecake factory is there also.

We just enjoy window shopping, stopping for an appetizer or cocktail then mor eshopping then, maybe dinner, then more shopping maybe desert and coffee..etc

Things are open late.;)

Dave:eek:

Where are you staying, will you have a car, what kind of attire would you like to wear, how much do you want to spend, is food more important than ambiance or vice versa.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn SEA-port ... and others are staying at the Sleep Inn, Marriott Harbor, Ramada Plaza in Hollywood ... we are all pretty resigned to having to take a taxi wherever we go to meet, and I believe others have said they will do so as well.

The food is the most important thing, with ambience to match if possible. but ambience is not a deal breaker. Food that isn't fresh and well-prepared is! We'd like to try a local place, not a chain that any of us can do anytime we are home. 'Smart casual' dress, (or dressier, if the place warrants); price ranges all over the board, so a number of recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Go over to the Hotel pre-post forum. The other day TrentS who lives in Ft. lauderdale made a list of the restaurants along S. 17th St. in Fll. I cannot remember the name of the thread but mayabe do a search of that.

Marilyn

Where to start:

Best seafood - if you like real, true casual seafood and excellent crabs, go to Rustic Inn off Griffin and I-75. They give you wooden mallets, have news paper on the tables, bibs and finger wipes and you go at it! If you like something a bit more upmarket, Bimini Boatyard on 17th Street near the port has tables outside, on the canal and excellent Stone Crabs. Some people recommend the 15th Streeet Fisheries, but I think they are slipping and our last meal there wasn't great.

Best Steaks - Shula's on the Beach in Ft. Lauderdale - but this is very pricey and when we go there I come away wondering sometimes if it was worth it. Jackson's in downtown Lauderdale, same deal. Shula's does offer the opportunity to walk along the strip, which if you went Spring Breaking from College in the 70's/80's, looks a lot different, is no longer catering to that crowd but more the 40 + group. I like walking along here.

Best Italian - Anthony's Runway 84, about 5 miles west of the pier. The neighborhood isn't that great, but this is the trendy place in Lauderdale for Italian - I sat next to Dan Marino last time. Bistro Mezzaluna on 17th Street near the Pier is also good.

Best Restaurant Overall: Marks Las Olas. We eat here quite often. I like to park at Las Olas Place (Las Olas and Andrew's Ave), walk east along the canal and then explore the boutiques/shops before dining at Marks. The food, ambience, everything is wonderful. Also on Las Olas Blvd is Mangos which we really like as well.

Best Greek: This is another of our favorites. A bit further from the Pier in Hollywood, Taverna Opa is on the water, and has a great set menu (regular or with seafood). Belly dancers entertain you and guests end up dancing with them. They yell out "Opa" and throw napkins, not plates. Go early, as later in the night it gets loud and crowded.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Wow, I am so gratified! Thank you so much to all of you ... we surely won't starve during our stay in FLL. Making a decision for dinner is going to be torture! (But the kind of torture I can handle ;).) I love breakfast, so was also glad to get the breakfast recommendation. We'll do that when we get there on Saturday.

Once again, Cruise Critic readers come through!:)

Cheers,

Just returned from Ft. Laud cruise and here are our suggestions. For breakfast, Lester's diner. It's old fashioned, good prices, good food and great desserts. This was a suggestion from Trent S and well worth it. It's definitely a local favorite located in an industrial area. Our dinner was 15th St fisheries which we got to on the water taxi. It's a 3 course dinner - soup, salad & entree from $27-$39 with choices from kangaroo to shimp and scallop dishes. Very interesting & tasty signature soups and salads. Also if you use the water taxi they give you a coupon for a free slice of key lime pie for each member of your party with dinner.

We've always been partial to Charlie's Crab on the Intercoastal. Fun to ride the water taxi down and back to our hotel. Enjoyable dining outside on the covered verandah and watch diners arrive in their boats....Have never had a complaint!!

We just ate there two weeks ago, while we were in Florida for a wedding. It is probably easier to find that restaurant by water taxi than it is by car :)

Archived