Bringing hubbys own port

debmkay

We buy our wine and beer on the ship, but hubby likes a certain port for after dinner, would i t be out of line to bring it with us this time, this will be our 4 th hal cruise? We are not cheapies by any means, we pay our way and never smuggle anything but we were thinking about this time on the port as we will be gone for 2 weeks. Thanks all

We buy our wine and beer on the ship, but hubby likes a certain port for after dinner, would i t be out of line to bring it with us this time, this will be our 4 th hal cruise? We are not cheapies by any means, we pay our way and never smuggle anything but we were thinking about this time on the port as we will be gone for 2 weeks. Thanks all

Since port is wine and you are allowed to bring your own wine onboard I see no problem.

Port is a wine, and you may bring aboard unlimited wine. No problem at all.

If you drink it in your cabin, no charge. If you bring it to the table in the dining room, you officially should be charged a corkage fee ($18 a bottle, I think...but for whatever reason, it never shows up on my ship's account.)

However, tell your husband not to expect a sommelier with all the utensils required to open a vintage crusted port.

P.S. - Once again, I typed slower than anyone else...sorry for posting after others had answered.

A neoprene bottle holder or wineskin (sealable bubble wrap in the shape of a bottle) is a nice bit of extra insurance / protection for your port.

I was disappointed to see that HAL doesn't have any port on their cabin service list, but hadn't evn thought about bringing my own stock until I saw your post. Thanks for the great nudge!

J

We have a similar situation but for my DH it is sherry. I wasn't sure if they would class this as wine and allow us to bring it on.

We will be onboard for 33 days and he would really miss his usual glass of sherry before dinner.

Sherry is wine.I don't think anyone would think otherwise.

Sorry to rain on the parade but both Sheery and Port are wine fortified with Brandy, so nolonger wine. I would ask your TA to get confirmation that they are covered by the wine definition.

I once asked about fortified wines, and got the telephone equivalent of a dumb look. Ditto with email.

I'm sure it will be fine. As long as the potable comes in that distinctive wine bottle shape, I've never been asked any questions (except by people who wanted to be my friend and know which cabin had the sailaway party!)

And while HAL certainly does have some sherries on their list, I'm willing to bet a shiny new Canadian dime the offerings won't include anything English_in _Spain will bring with them.

I can still taste in my mind the finos I last drank in Spain. Only the (not so) pale imitations are exported to North America.

Sorry to rain on the parade but both Sheery and Port are wine fortified with Brandy, so nolonger wine. I would ask your TA to get confirmation that they are covered by the wine definition.

Whatever sommelier school you went to, I think you should call back and enroll in their remedial class!

HAL's policy doesn't say "except fortified wine", nor does it specify the alcoholic content of beer. It simply says "wine yes, beer no". Port and sherry are still wine.

Archived