Grenada + 7 sisters falls

fraidycats

Yes very small island. We were there last Jan and it was so lush it's hard to imagine what it looks like post hurricane. When you reach the tender dock thee are desks inside dock re hiring a taxi. Very reasonable to hire a taxi for touring and thay do an excellent job. Driving/riding is quite an experience as roads are one lane, very mountainious and no traffic signals or stop signs. Probably one of the most beautiful places I have seen.

I was there in April and loved the island. I hate to think of what the damage is like there after the hurricanes. We just hired a cab and had him take us for a tour of the island. It was wonderful and he took us to see everything we'd want to see plus some sites only the locals knew about. It was terrific. I didn't find the falls anything different than falls anywhere else. What impressed me the most was the vegetation although that could be a mess now. If it wasn't destroyed a visit to the open air spice market is fun although the natives, nice as they are, will drive you crazy. Have fun.

We attempted to do this hike on our cruise to Grenada in November. We booked the ship excursion (as we didn't find out until the day we boarded that we were going to Grenada - thought we were going to Dominica). The terrain to the falls is very slippery and muddy (they gave us walking sticks for balance and support). We got halfway down only to find out that the path was too narrow to go further (we were one of the first ships to go back to Grenada after the hurricane). We never did get to see the seven sister's falls. I would assume the path has been widened so that people can go back to it. We ended up going to Annandale Falls (pretty - but not spectacular - also VERY crowded!) and to Grand Anse Beach. The devastation of Grenada is immense. You can check out my Grenada pictures at: http://community.webshots.com/user/tispwisp I would recommend booking with Mandoo tours! We had an excursion planned through him before the hurricane hit and before we found out we were going to Dominica instead. He was very easy to work with.

Grenada was a very poor country to begin with and after the hurricane it is worse. There was a lot of begging for money, and you felt so bad you wanted to give something to everybody. :( The best thing to do to help these poor people is to buy stuff. We bought lots of spice baskets for family and friends. (Also try the Guavaberry jelly - it is delicious!)

If you have any other questions about the island, I will try to answer them if I can!

Wrote to Mandoo today, and he said that the trail to 7 sisters is still a mess, and without the trees it will be quite hot. He instead recommended Concord Falls , the Douglas Spice Depot , a drive thru the Spice Plantations, Grand etang Crater Lake and a final stop at Grand Anse beach before returning to the beach. My concern is that we will be 2 families traveling with 7 kids between us, all between the ages of 12-17. The boys will all pitch fits if it is too much tour bus and not not enuf activity. I know we'll be fine with the falls and beach but wonder about everything in between, especially the spice depot. What do you think?

Should be ok as it is a small island and as stated above driving is an adventure in itself on Grenada. There is also a Fort on the island, which the boys may enjoy and is a very nice peice of history. The fort is on a hill and the views are breathtaking of island and sea. We went to the falls[don't remember which ones] the Grand Etang and the Fort w/i 3 hours and that was with travel negotiations[ taxi driver's compainion has to negotiate with other taxis' companions to see who gets to go down/up mountain first] The kids may not be board as there is much to see and learn. Our daughter was 13 when we went and it was also her favorite island.The people are lovely on this island and we did not find them too pushy[but we live 150 mi n of NYC], just look at them directly and politly say ''no thank you"

There are lots of taxis available and I beleive out tour was 3-4 hours at $25 each with a very generous tip as the driver and companion were very gracious and knowlegeable hosts. Compainion had limited English but tried to assit as he was able with our tour.

We arranged our tour last year to Grenada with Sunsation Tours. This is also a very good company, and we were very happy with our day. We included Seven Sister Falls in our tour, and it was a semi-difficult hike, but well worth it when arriving at the falls. There are several falls and pools to swim in and enjoy. It was quite hot, however, -- all down hill on the way to the falls, but quite a climb back up. Sorry you will not be able to do it this year because of the damage.

We also went to the fort. The views from there are great and history is interesting.

Archived