Thoughts on Airbed on Balcony

macmermaid

I am considering bringing a twin airbed to use on our Balcony (BA) cabin. Both my husband and I snore enough to keep each other from sleeping.

Do you think it will fit on the Balcony? I looked up balcony dimensions and it seems for this type of cabin they are at least 4 feet x 10 feet.

This is an 11 day Mexican Riviera Cruise in early October. Of course, this won't work if we have bad weather, but if the weather is fairly good and warm, would it be too windy or wet anyway to sleep on a balcony? We are pretty high up just below the pool deck, and in a very far forward cabin, basically on the upper left forward side of the ship

It is really easy to inflate / deflate, so during the day we can store it under the bed or something.

Just wondering if anybody things this won't work for some reason.

Thanks

Good point, definitely won't leave it blown up during the day or my 3 year old may use it as a trampoline!

Good question about the table and chairs - I hope they will stack on one end of the balcony.

I didn't think about pulling into port early either. Also, I think we are on the side that the sun comes up on for most of the trip, so guess I will be up with the sunrise. I'm thinking of bringing my beach umbrella (for the beach), so maybe I can prop it up over the airbed to give me some privacy and a bit of shade in the morning. He he he. I will get a picture of this.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll bet your 3 y.o. will want to sleep out there with you - surely he or she will find out about you out there in the early AM and there will be no stopping him or her from getting out to be with you then!! You may find it gets kind of crowded out there real quick! :eek:

Okay, so one morning in Italy, about 6:30 AM, there I am on the 11th deck, wearing not revealing pajamas, when 4 guys in a passing tug boat sound their horn and begin frantically waving at me!! Be prepared...

But of course, it WAS Italy, after all. My DH snores, and the beds were so comfy that I was not woken up once. It made me realize that I probably need a new bed at home.

I am considering bringing a twin airbed to use on our Balcony (BA) cabin. Both my husband and I snore enough to keep each other from sleeping.

Do you think it will fit on the Balcony? I looked up balcony dimensions and it seems for this type of cabin they are at least 4 feet x 10 feet.

This is an 11 day Mexican Riviera Cruise in early October. Of course, this won't work if we have bad weather, but if the weather is fairly good and warm, would it be too windy or wet anyway to sleep on a balcony? We are pretty high up just below the pool deck, and in a very far forward cabin, basically on the upper left forward side of the ship

It is really easy to inflate / deflate, so during the day we can store it under the bed or something.

Just wondering if anybody things this won't work for some reason.

Thanks

I am thinking of doing the very same thing for the very same reason. I always sleep out on the balcony but never brought an air mattress before and thought it would be much more comfortable. I forget what I used the last time...maybe some extra bed pillows. I do know that I love it out there.

I do know that there was plenty of room for me. I stacked the chairs and set them on one end with the little table. Also, never had any problems with other ships beside us looking in on our balcony.....don't think they get close enough to disrupt your privacy.....and if they do "oh well". I lay out on a deck chair with less on than my PJ's so who cares if someone see's me laying on an air mattress?

As for the air mattress......which kind did you buy? Did you get a "self inflated one and is it compact enough to pack in luggage? I have not looked for one yet so I'm not sure what kind to get.

we have had the window washing machine go by, early. that may not be a good thing if you don't hear it in time.

if your ship doesn't have to go too far between port, the wind should be calm. if your ship has a good distance to go, the speed will make it windy, but you will down low..shouldn't be a problem.

we have had the window washing machine go by, early. that may not be a good thing if you don't hear it in time.

if your ship doesn't have to go too far between port, the wind should be calm. if your ship has a good distance to go, the speed will make it windy, but you will down low..shouldn't be a problem.

Well, in that case you'll be able to skip your morning shower!! :eek:

Uneamie -

We have the most simple version of an Airbed, that has the pump with it. It has a carry bag but I suppose we could put it in a bigger carry bag and pack more stuff with it. Maybe a long carry bag so I can put my beach umbrella in there too.

DH is going to complain about how much I bring, he always does.

If you do it don't keep it out there when you're not using it. If it blows off the ship thats a very big expensive pollution fee.

very true.

you know...i was thinking the same thing. talk about a rude awakening.

Uneamie -

We have the most simple version of an Airbed, that has the pump with it. It has a carry bag but I suppose we could put it in a bigger carry bag and pack more stuff with it. Maybe a long carry bag so I can put my beach umbrella in there too.

DH is going to complain about how much I bring, he always does.

Thanks a bunch.....I know what you mean, my hubby just rolls his eyes the whole time he's packing the car with our luggage.....LOL

I will look for a very simple air mattress. I actually already have a pump for one I have now but the mattress is a "double bed" size and that's too big.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise. :D

If you do it don't keep it out there when you're not using it. If it blows off the ship thats a very big expensive pollution fee.

Good to know......I will probably deflate it or perhaps bring it in and store it under the bed in the day time....

That said, how would they know which balcony it flew off of? Hmm..maybe a good surveillance camera could point the finger in the right direction. ;)

Trust me Lowytd, we've tried everything. He's supposed to go to a pulmonologist to have a sleep study done because he's always tired, but he hasn't made the appointment yet. I can hear him snoring loudly from the room below our bedroom in our house - through the floor.

Usually when we travel and stay in a hotel we get two beds and put a wave machine in between us. But I don't think there will be enough distance even with the beds separated and wave machine in this cabin.

My husband used to snore loud enough to be heard on another floor, and at the other side of the house.

We finally got him to the sleep study and it is absolutely amazing. He doesn't make a sound when sleeping, and he rests so much better. Wakes up feeling refreshed for the first time in 60 years!

Push your DH to get that sleep study done. Aside from the fact that he'll sleep better and feel better, sleep apnea is dangerous for his health.

Trust me Lowytd, we've tried everything. He's supposed to go to a pulmonologist to have a sleep study done because he's always tired, but he hasn't made the appointment yet. I can hear him snoring loudly from the room below our bedroom in our house - through the floor.

Usually when we travel and stay in a hotel we get two beds and put a wave machine in between us. But I don't think there will be enough distance even with the beds separated and wave machine in this cabin.

For his sake mostly but for yours also get him to make the appointment. I found out about 8 years ago that I have sleep apnea because my DH urged me to go. He said sometimes he wouldn't sleep well as he kept listening to make sure I would breath. I had finally given in when driving to work one day noticed I had closed my eyes a bit too long at a stop. Had someone honk me...ooops.:eek: I got my cpap and within a couple days I couldn't believe how much energy I had!

Fast forward until last year when I convinced DH to go in to be tested. I didn't think he wasn't stopping breathing but I sleep so soundly I'm never quite sure. But... his snoring was getting so bad that I couldn't sleep and didn't want to ship him off to the guest room. He got his cpap and at first didn't care for it but now he is used to it. So now I'm a happy camper or cruiser. I know my mom and sis will appreciate it too as they are going to be joining us this Jan. in the same suite. Although they will have their own small room it would still be annoying.

Also as Lucky pointed out it really is a health issue that can lead to so many different serious problems iincluding heart issues.

Archived