Packing for a transatlantic cruise in November

lori450

We are cruising on the Independence from Southhampton to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of November. I would appreciate any information from experienced cruisers on what to pack. We will be flying to London, so weight is an issue. Thanks!!!

Lori, I would check the Royal Caribbean Roll Call board under the Independance, and look for your cruise. I know one is going. Click on the last page and introduce yourself, there should be plenty there that can advise you and let you know of their plans, the M&M etc. Good way to meet some of your fellow cruisers before going.

I've done the trans-Atlantic from Barcelona to Galveston in late November three times. I've been able to manage very well layering. A long-sleeve turtleneck knit top, a pullover sweater or sweatshirt and then a jacket. A jacket heavier than a lined windbreaker but not a parka. You might want a woolen cap that will go over your ears, a scarf and gloves to round out your outfit as it can get windy on deck. I had a pair of tights packed to wear under my slacks and a camisole but never needed them. Did wear knee-high trouser socks, though. I never wore all the outer layers at the same time. The knit top and jacket or the knit top and sweater were sufficient. Be sure and bring warm weather clothes because there were a lot of unhappy people who didn't think shorts and tees after a few days when you got closer to Florida and warm weather.

Husband, who is more stubborn than a mule and would never admit he was cold since I tried to get him to pack at least a sweatshirt, wore an undershirt, long-sleeve flannel shirt and lined windbreaker and swore he was comfortable. I really think he was o.k. since I didn't hear any teeth chattering orsee him holding his hands over his ears or stuffing them in pockets to keep them warm.

I do a lot of mixing and matching with tops that go with any bottoms I am packing, scarves and accessories to change out things. For our trans-Atlantics we have gotten along just fine with a checked bag each and a carry-on each in which we pack our formal clothes, a couple of days of clothes, bathing suits,jammies, anything we would really hate to not have with in case our luggage goes astray. By cross-packing our checked luggage, if only one suitcase shows up, we can probably limp using the ship's laundry. I pack entire outfits together in the same suitcase so I don't end up with a tops in one suitcase that goes with bottoms in the "lost" suitcase.

Tucker in Texas

We did the TA last November on the Indy from London to Fla. It was pretty cold at times in London, we stayed 3 days there before the cruise. And you will be leaving 3 weeks after we did. Which is why we are doing the Nav TA from Malaga to Fla this year instead of a repeat of the Indy.

Plan on cold weather in London and no sun. We took 100 pictures and there was no sunshine in any of them.

It will be chilly on the ship for the first few days. Last year after leaving Madeira the ship headed SW towards St. Martin. This year, it doesn't stop any where in the deep Caribbean so that will also be a factor in cooler weather onboard.

At least the pools are heated.

Archived