Why can't I change cabins on Carnival.com?

gargoyle999

Ok...everyone talks about how great is it to have control over their booking by using a PVP or by having a booking directly with Carnival and not a TA.

So I made a booking today with a PVP for Nov 2010. If I log into my My Cruise on Carnival.com and go to modify booking I see items I can edit. But if I try to edit my category or cabin and it goes to the next page, there is nothing there to let me change anything. Just a back button and a cancel button. It would be happy to let me add cruise air however! :rolleyes:

I've tried two PC's and IE and Firefox. What is going on? I booked ES, does that prevent you from changing cabins on the web?

Carnival's online is not very sophisticated, so its not going to be able to talk to you about rules to change cabins or charge you a $50 fee if you accidently try to downgrade.

heck they cant even do next cruise certs by computer ... you can at least view stuff online and reach a rep 24/7 but need to talk to someone to change cabins.

Maybe you need to be paid in full to make those kind of changes. Give your PVP a call and have them take care of it for you.

I don't want to make a change right now. I was just "playing" with it since this was the first time I've booked with a PVP. Since it's not allowing me to change I was just trying to figure out if it was because of ES or Carnival website being wonky or some other reason.

Unless I'm mistaken (possible but improbable...lol...no flaming please) you can not change any part of an ES booking - including your cabin assignment - without some sort of penalty.

If the pvp you booked through did not explain all the rules fully then I'd call her back and see if she can do anything since it is so soon after booking.

Let us know what happens! Good luck!

Unless I'm mistaken (possible but improbable...lol...no flaming please) you can not change any part of an ES booking - including your cabin assignment - without some sort of penalty.

I was able to change from a 8a to an 8C with no penalty. Might be because the price came down on the 8A so I was able to upgrade with no extra fee.

If the pvp you booked through did not explain all the rules fully then I'd call her back and see if she can do anything since it is so soon after booking.

Not flaming, but you can always upgrade your ES category without any penalty. Just pay the difference if there is any.

Well she didn't say I couldn't change cabins within the same category! But she did say I was being adventurous by booking a cabin all the way forward! Ha ha ha...I just want to try it and it's only 4 days.

She did say I can upgrade categories but not downgrade. Now if you really can't change cabins within the same category with an ES booking that would be good to know for future reference. I'll send her an email and see what she says.

Was it with an Early Saver booking?

What is Early Saver?spacer.gifEarly Saver is a brand new promotional rate that rewards you for booking early with the absolute lowest rate. In addition, the fares are backed by a unique price protection assurance. Book your cruise now. If you later find a lower Carnival advertised fare for the same sailing and accommodations, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable, non-transferable onboard credit. The policy is effective up to two business days prior to sailing. You now have even more great reasons to book early! Not only will you have the best availability of staterooms, dates, and destinations…you’re assured the lowest rate.

• How early must I make my reservation?

Early Saver is available up to 3 months prior to sailing on short cruises (5 days or shorter) and up to 5 months prior to sailing on long cruises (6 days or greater).

• How do I make an Early Saver reservation?

Contact your Travel Agent, your Personal Vacation Planner, call 1-800- Carnival or visit www.Carnival.com.

• Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

The deposit and payment terms are the same. However, Early Saver reservations require a full non-refundable deposit per person.

• What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?

Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

It is my understanding that Early Saver can not modify their bookings, you must do that over the phone.

I would think so too, even though no one said so. It says no changes, even though they are allowing you to upgrade for free. So, it only makes sense they wouldnt allow it on their website. As I mentioned above, it would be too hard to determine if the website should charge you a $50 fee to change...just too complicated to program into the system. (as a ex programmer).

Ok...everyone talks about how great is it to have control over their booking by using a PVP or by having a booking directly with Carnival and not a TA.

So I made a booking today with a PVP for Nov 2010. If I log into my My Cruise on Carnival.com and go to modify booking I see items I can edit. But if I try to edit my category or cabin and it goes to the next page, there is nothing there to let me change anything. Just a back button and a cancel button. It would be happy to let me add cruise air however! :rolleyes:

I've tried two PC's and IE and Firefox. What is going on? I booked ES, does that prevent you from changing cabins on the web?

There could be many reasons why. The first that comes to mind is that there might be a change in price if you make the change...

I've never had a problem with the website at all....but, for cabin changes, I call........ No website, including their own, will show all availability to anyone. Perhaps the change you are attempting isn't available, might be part of a group booking, might be on hold by another person.......lots of reasons...

Okay, okay, I was wrong! What everyone says about paying for an upgrade makes sense.

Just one more thing. What about this scenario....

I book a 6a and over the next few months I accumulate a $150 obc due to several price reductions. Then, at the last minute, a balcony is going for only $25 more pp (sure..) and I want to jump on it and pay the difference. Will I then lose my obc since it was associated with the 6a or do I get to keep that no matter what?

Yes, gargoyle999, I'm curious too about being able to switch within the same category to, say, perhaps a cabin more centrally located than what was available on the day you book. If you find out, please holler.

There could be many reasons why. The first that comes to mind is that there might be a change in price if you make the change...

I've never had a problem with the website at all....but' date=' for cabin changes, I call........ No website, including their own, will show all availability to anyone. Perhaps the change you are attempting isn't available, might be part of a group booking, might be on hold by another person.......lots of reasons...[/quote']

Well, I would think I should be able to change to another cabin in the same category no matter what "type" of rate used. Maybe with ES you just can't I haven't heard back from my PVP yet as far as switching within categories.

It's not an issue with availability however. There are plenty of 4A's available for this sailing in Nov of next year. It just flat out does not give me any cabins to chose from nor does it tell me I can't do it because of being on the Early Saver rate. It lets me click on "edit" then the next page it goes to only has a back and cancel button.

So much for booking with a PVP and having total control! :p

Archived