Airline alliance in Australia

ohioNCLcruiser

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a few peoples thoughts on this topic. I'm getting ready to relocate to Melbourne Australia in July 2010. Currently I'm Gold elite with Skyteam and will be changing over to Star Alliance next month.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should ask for a status match on a different alliance or stick with Star. Does anyone really fly around Australia domesticly besides Qantas and Jetstar and Virgin Blue? I can't think of any Star Alliance airlines that would do this. I wonder if I should try to get Qantas to match it and join One World. Does Air New Zealand fly domesticly around Australia?

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

QF, JQ and DJ are the three main domestic airlines in Australia. TT (Tiger Airways) is trying to ramp up, but it's not really a major player at the moment.

NZ doesn't fly domestic flights within Australia.

And QF is most unlikely to status match - it normally just doesn't do this at all.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a few peoples thoughts on this topic. I'm getting ready to relocate to Melbourne Australia in July 2010. Currently I'm Gold elite with Skyteam and will be changing over to Star Alliance next month.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should ask for a status match on a different alliance or stick with Star. Does anyone really fly around Australia domesticly besides Qantas and Jetstar and Virgin Blue? I can't think of any Star Alliance airlines that would do this. I wonder if I should try to get Qantas to match it and join One World. Does Air New Zealand fly domesticly around Australia?

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Why don't you sign up for AS/Alaska's FF program, who are partnered with both QF and DL/NW back in the USA ? (as well as AA, BA, CX, KL anf AF)

Why don't you sign up for AS/Alaska's FF program, who are partnered with both QF and DL/NW back in the USA ? (as well as AA, BA, CX, KL anf AF)
There are plenty of ways of earning miles, but I read the OP's post as suggesting that what he really wants is status that he can use in Australia. And that won't come via a status match by QF.

Digging deeper into my memory, I wonder whether an AA Platinum Challenge might be the way to go?

Otherwise, quasi-status can be bought in Australia by joining the Qantas Club, which gives lounge access and some baggage perks. But it's quite expensive in the first year.

Just curious, why are you changing to *A?
I suspect that it's status with CO, which is moving from SkyTeam to *A next month.

OP- I've followed your posts and knew you visited Oz. Great you're moving to MEL but only if you promise to become a Collingwood Magpies fan! :) Did you plan a move all along, or visit and fall in love with Australia and the people?

Welcome to Australia!!:):)

I'm afraid I don't know much about airline alliances, but I can certainly confirm that our main domestic flights are operated by Qantas, Virgin Blue and Jetstar, and that Air NZ defintitely does not fly domestically in Australia. I hope you wil be very happy here down under!

Great about the move to MEL! Since a lot of us are in the States, there is streaming audio coverage of AFL http://xml.afl.com.au/swf/live_stats.htm?gameID=10260104 I like MMM the best. Also, ESPN360.com has streaming video of the Finals but your ISP has to have an agreement with them and mine does not. Last resource, the Grand Finals and possibly the semis will be televised on ESPN2 in the USA.

Sorry to see the Bombers and Dogs scores so far...I'm frankly not getting my hopes up for the Pies v St.Kilda tonight, but miracles do happen! I got into AFL in June; we saw Pies v Bombers at the G and were hooked on the sport!

Sorry all about the OT.

Archived