Downgrade to cabin that now costs more

gargoyle999

We book our cruises through carnival and tried on one cruise to book a better grade cabin and we were told we couldn't move or we would lose alot of money. You need to call the agency that you bought your cruise from and ask them if their are any penaties if you change your cabin.

I'm not referring to penalties. This is assuming it's before final payment. I would think that if I book an 8H and want to go to 8G and 8G is currently $50 less than when I booked the 8H, I'd pay less money at final payment.

But if I booked 8H and want to go to 8G but 8G is now $100 more than I paid for 8H would I have to pay that difference or is it considered a wash since "downgrading".

It's weird if you would "lose" a lot of money by upgrading though. You may pay a lot more depending on how big of a jump you are making or if your original booking was during a sale, but you shouldn't lose money. Carnival would be happy to upgrade me even with Early Saver rates, just need to pay the difference.

If you have to pay more for a downgrade, why would you do it? Why not just keep the existing cabin? Something's not making sense here....you WANT to pay more for a worse cabin?

I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought this.

What happens if you have a cabin booked but then want to change to a lower cabin category, but now that category costs more than what you paid for your current cabin?

Do you have to pay the difference?

Anytime you make a change you'll pay whatever price difference there is.

If you have to pay more for a downgrade, why would you do it? Why not just keep the existing cabin? Something's not making sense here....you WANT to pay more for a worse cabin?

Ha ha...I sure don't want to pay more. I was asking because I currently have 8H booked on the Spirit for Nov. Booked after ES rates closed so just standard booking. When looking on the deck plans there are several 8G (which are extended balcony like 8H) on a few decks that have a much longer balcony than standard. There are some as well that are 8H on the higher decks.

So I don't expect any will be available before our cruise...but you never know. So I was just curious if one of the 8G with the larger balcony opened up if I'd be able to switch to it without paying more. I got the 8H with a really nice sale price so the 8G right now is almost $400 more than I paid for the 8H.

So that is why I would want to "downgrade" (for free), so I could upgrade to a better balcony! Cabins are the same and I don't consider a higher deck to be better. :)

Archived