alaska in june

I have gotten prices for both RCI and NCL for trip to alaska. Tell me how and best way to go from seattle to vancouver so I can stay with RCI because air is so high from east coast. I heard someone mention a train up the coast how feasible is this. How close am I let off at pier? Also it appears like we need to spend day before cruise and day after in seattle any suggestions about inexpensive hotels near airport. Next question if I use RCI transportation to van couver from seattle does RCI have a package to pick up and deliver in seattle with hotel included

Thanks

We took the train from Seattle to Vancouver and loved it. There is only one train each way per day so you would have to spend the night in Seattle. We took a cab to the train station. I think it left about 7:30 - 8 :00. There is full information on the AMtrack web site. Sit on the left side of the train so you can see the views of the ocean. Also book business class, it is only a little bit more and the seats are better and right by the dining car. The only caveat is don't have more luggage than you can carry yourself. They put the luggage by the train and you have to take it through customs yourself. No porters or carts.

When we got to the train station, we took a cab to the ship. It was about a 5 minute cab ride.

All in all, we enjoyed the train more that a bus. We are from Oklahoma and hadn't ridden a train in 30+ years so it was fun for us.

Royal Caribbean does run a bus each way. We took the bus back. THe train is more fun but the train back is in the evening. The bus is more expensive than the train.

We stayed a hotel right by the airport in Seattle. I can't remember the name, but it was about $80 a night. Older, but OK except for the restaurant which was terrible.

In June 2002 we flew to Seattle stayed a few days and rented an SUV, drove up stayed over night and then drove to the pier and parked there. 4 people on the train or bus are very expensive, even the SUV for almost 2 weeks plus parking was cheaper in the end. RCI transportation is slower and takes forever for people to load, some people are sooo slow. We used priceline for the overnight stays and rentals and saved lots, We stayed in the Doubletree in the outskirts of Seattle for $50 per night for a bedroom with a seperate room with a mini kitchen and a pull out couch. They are called mini suites.

You will need an overnight the day before needing to get to Vancouver. There are several transfer options. You cruiseline should have a transfer available the morning of sailing. Amtrak leaves from downtown Seattle one early morning train per day and about 6pm departure leaving Vancouver. You need to add at least $30+++ for cabs. If this trip is round trip, then you are best taking an overnight flight home from Seattle, or if you can get it a flight after 3pm. There Quick Shuttle and one way car rentals. I do this the most with having rented from Budget, National and Avis- go with the cheapest. You will want Vancouver DOWNTOWN and Seatac pick up. If you go this route- consider staying the night before in Bellingham- then only an hour + with an early start to Vancouver- will give you some time to see the city too. I have stayed at the Sleep Inn at Seatac- reasonable. Priceline is a good option if you only need one bed.

Quickshuttle www.quickcoach.com cost less than ship transfers.

If you stay at one of the hotels by the airport you can take the hotel shuttle back to the airport in the morning to catch the quickshuttle. During the summer they add a couple express busses that to not make all the intermediate stops. Reservations are advised, expecialy southbound.

We have taken the train north and it is very nice. If you can handle you luggage, you can catch the Skytrain from the train station to the pier. (about 3 stops) You need to have canadian money not larger than 5's (all tickets are from a vending machine) There are those that take the train up and shuttle back.

As far as hotels/motels along with all the places an Pac-highway (closest to the airport) most of the locations at Southcenter (Tukwilla) also have airport shuttles

Archived