Bought our tickets to Pisa...but what if we miss our appointed time?

nancybee

I have purchased my tickets online for climbing the Tower of Pisa at 9:30. Now I'm worrying we might not get there on time. What happens if we're late? We're planning to take a taxi to Livorno train station from the port, then train to Pisa Centrale, then another taxi to Field of Miracles although we could walk if we have the time. Or is there a bus going there? or what about changing trains at Pisa Centrale and getting off at the other station closer to the Tower (Pisa S Rossore I believe?) Our ship docks at 6:30 so we can get off early. Will there be taxis at the ship early enough? Sorry for all the questions but Livorno port is trickier than I first thought!

I have purchased my tickets online for climbing the Tower of Pisa at 9:30. Now I'm worrying we might not get there on time. What happens if we're late? We're planning to take a taxi to Livorno train station from the port, then train to Pisa Centrale, then another taxi to Field of Miracles although we could walk if we have the time. Or is there a bus going there? or what about changing trains at Pisa Centrale and getting off at the other station closer to the Tower (Pisa S Rossore I believe?) Our ship docks at 6:30 so we can get off early. Will there be taxis at the ship early enough? Sorry for all the questions but Livorno port is trickier than I first thought!

We just came back from a Med cruise. We had arranged a private tour for

this port so I don't have all the answers you are looking for. We had also

brought 9:30 tickets online and our ship docked at 8. I was worried that we may not get there in time, in which case the tickets would be worthless. We were told no refunds or exchanges. However we were out at the gangway by 8:10 and our driver got us to the Leaning Tower by about 8:40am. So we had plenty of time to pick up the tickets and take some pictures before the climb.

We drove by the Pisa central train station on our way to Florence. I would

say it would be about a 30min walk to the Leaning Tower from there. You can also take a bus from the train station, but I am not sure about the schedule and frequency.

This happened to us in July, at the height of the season, and we had no problem. They simply told us to go with the next group.

The taxi from your ship to the train station in Livorno is the key to your plan. After that it's all easy and you shouldn't have a problem. We got held up because we misunderstood NCL's information and thought we HAD to use their shuttle before we could get a taxi. Not true, there were taxis lined up right next to the shuttle bus.

If there isn't a long wait for the train to San Rossore, fine, but a taxi from Pisa Centrale to the tower is fairly cheap and I'd just do that.

This also happened to us in 2006. We had pre-booked tickets to climb the Leaning Tower, but due to various circumstances, we ended up arriving at the Tower about 15 minutes after our appointed time. We had a private tour booked, so our driver went into the ticket office with our confirmation and they gave us tickets to join the next group going up 15 minutes later

Archived