I need serious councelling!!!!!!

RN1986

Advice needed Please--before my hubby kills me..........

I have 2 cruises on hold for New years:

Emerald Princess-Eastern--St Thomas, St Martin, Turks and Princess Cays. Booked 2 interior rooms (6 of us in family)

Carnival Valor-Western--Belize, Roatan, Cozulel, Grand Cayman. Booked 1 inside for kids and balcony for hubby and me.

Price of each is the same but one has a balcony. Princess balcony is crazy money. We have cruised both lines before and my kids have been to the Western. Our flights are set. I think we both prefer Carnival.

How to choose??? Itinerary vs boat vs room type? I also think we will likely spend more money on excursions on Carnival due to the ports. Easier to just hang out on a beach with Eastern

I ahve to make a decision in the next week and I am really struggling. Cruising with 4 teens (13-20) Advice PLEASE!!!!!

If you ask the teens their preference, you will have to go their way if most favor one
No, you don't! As long as you're the parent and you're paying for the vaction, you don't have to go with their choice!

I would absolutely ask for their input. Ask them which islands they've enjoyed most in the past. Give them a week to look into ship excursions that are available on each of the islands. Ask how important the balcony is to them, etc. They may bring up points that you wouldn't have considered. Make it clear when you're asking that you're looking for their thoughts, but YOU will make the final decision.

Depends. Do you consider the ship the destination or the ports? With teens, I would think the Western Caribbean would be better because those are more adventure ports. The Eastern itinerary you posted has great beaches, but I think the other option has more to offer. If the ship is your destination, I would think Carnival would be a win for the teens, but it depends on what you as adults like/expect/want.

decision depends how important a balcony is to you. princess ship is probably a bit nicer. carinval is more kid friendly. princess has better pools and ships are less congested. i am more of a fan of the eastern itinerary and kids would have a blast at princess cays with all of the things to do there and the included bbq lunch. it's a fun day. i would also take the eastern for a chance to go to st john (ferry from st thomas). it's my favorite place in the caribbean. i would choose princess for itinerary and ship but admit i do love a balcony cabin.

I was on the Valor with the same ports last year, loved it. Roatan was our favorite. Plus you will get a balcony!

A recommendation for Roatan, check out Fins and Flippers. We paid like $20 each and it was beautiful, later found out we didn't even see everything! They also had really good snorkeling from the pier

hello,

You are in a win -win situation, that is, you will win no matter which ship you choose. The Emerald Princess is a really nice ship (sailed on a transatlantic in 2008) with everything you can ask for on a ship. Have not been on Carnival for a long , long time. Howver my 24 year old son who has been on Carnival says that Carnival is a good line.

It's a personal decision. For me, I really don't care about the room. I don't care if it has a balcony or not. Whether it's got a window or not. I'm more interested in the intinerary and ship in general.

We've done balcony and inside, and prefer inside. You get the exact same view on deck as you do from a balcony...and on deck you can avoid smokers and noisy neighbors.

Why not check into the Crown Princess which is doing Western Caribbean this year. Sailing to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Hondoras and Princess Cays. The Crown is the same ship as the Emerald, only 1 year older. Then you can do both, great ship and great itinerary. This is actually my next cruise in November.

Advice needed Please--before my hubby kills me..........

I have 2 cruises on hold for New years:

Emerald Princess-Eastern--St Thomas, St Martin, Turks and Princess Cays. Booked 2 interior rooms (6 of us in family)

Carnival Valor-Western--Belize, Roatan, Cozulel, Grand Cayman. Booked 1 inside for kids and balcony for hubby and me.

Price of each is the same but one has a balcony. Princess balcony is crazy money. We have cruised both lines before and my kids have been to the Western. Our flights are set. I think we both prefer Carnival.

How to choose??? Itinerary vs boat vs room type? I also think we will likely spend more money on excursions on Carnival due to the ports. Easier to just hang out on a beach with Eastern

I ahve to make a decision in the next week and I am really struggling. Cruising with 4 teens (13-20) Advice PLEASE!!!!!

For me Itinerary always wins. Unless something really bothers you about one ship/line versus the other or you think not having a balcony will result in one misrably trip. I've sailed view, inside and frankly all our memories were of things not related to my cabin but ports mostly.

If you ask the teens their preference, you will have to go their way if most favor one

Are you kidding? A family is not a democracy where the children can "outvote" the parents.

I believe that some (not all or even most) of today's children have such a sense of entitlement that they believe they control the family. Unfortunately, some parents buy into that notion in either an effort to be their child's "best friend" or because they don't/haven't made the effort necessary to do the truly challenging and difficult parts of parenting. The very idea that parents have to cede control over family decisions, especially significant or financial ones, is absurd, IMO.

My first thought was that a week on a ship with unhappy teens could be miserable, so is there any way you can get their input on the decision, without giving them too much power?

IMO, teens who would be "miserable" because they were taken on one Caribbean cruise itinerary over another should be left at home!

It's not that I believe they should have no input or that their opinions should not matter at all. What children like and dislike is important and how they feel does make a difference. However, they have no business making their parents miserable over something like choosing an Eastern versus a Western itinerary (or vice versa). It should not be necessary to tip-toe around or worry about giving them "power unless their parent aren't strong enough to remain in charge.

No, you don't! As long as you're the parent and you're paying for the vaction, you don't have to go with their choice!

I would absolutely ask for their input. Ask them which islands they've enjoyed most in the past. Give them a week to look into ship excursions that are available on each of the islands. Ask how important the balcony is to them, etc. They may bring up points that you wouldn't have considered. Make it clear when you're asking that you're looking for their thoughts, but YOU will make the final decision.

Excellent post. The only thing I disagree with is asking how important the balcony is to the teens. That's a choice that should be left to the parents, period.

I would pick the Valor. You can still hang out on the beaches or go snorkeling, excursions don't have to be that expensive.

True. Excursions need not be expensive on either itinerary.

beachchick

Archived