Touring Rome using limo vs. walking only

irab

This will be our first time in Rome and we are arriving two days prior to sailing on the Solstice. We are interested in private tours but have noticed that there are two options, one with limo, and one without. We would be interested in recommendations from those who have done either, understanding that the costs will be more for the limo. We also understand that the driver is not a licensed guide. Is there a necessity for an additional guide? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

It depends on if the limo company is willng to skirt the law. Guides in Rome must be licensed, but that doens't stop plenty of folks from doing it without credentials.

Rome is compact and quite easy to walk; also, you miss so much from a car. Many of the places you'd want to see don't allow cars, so you'd be getting out and walking anyway.

On the other hand, if you can afford to have someone waiting for you, it could be very efficient and comfortable to be driven from place to place, even if it's often only a couple of blocks.

With only two days, you'll only have a taste of Rome. I'd suggest picking a few things that you really want to see and spending your time there. For example, the Vatican museums alone require a minimum of four or five hours, and that's just to get in and see only the highlights.

The Colosseum and Forum require at least two or three hours, unless your plan is to simply drive by and not actually go in.

One additional thought, if you are arriving from North America on the first day, by the time you get in and check into your hotel, almost half of that day will be gone already.

I posted on the other thread about private guides in Rome.....but also need to add on this one that much of the charm of Rome is wandering the streets.

Our first trip we spent one whole day with a private guide (no driver) and walked around on our own the rest of the time (2 nights precruise)

Our last trip just this past May we just walked. All over. Loved it. Didnt always stay to the main roads - opting to duck down smaller ones and see what was there.

Best advice is choose a hotel near the heart...... and wear comfy shoes :D

There are numerous ways to approach your 2-day visit. If you are the energetic, independent minded type that is willing to do your research before you leave home; you can walk or use local transport & self guide yourself for very little money. You would need to make your list of things to do/see & plot your route efficiently.

I don't fall into that category exactly. I do like to research things & make a list; but I'm more comfortable giving my "list" to someone who is willing to plot my route & schedule my agenda. Someone who can quickly assess & navigate Rome's difficult traffic situations & yet allow me the time to wander on foot when I wish.

Although not official tour guides, a lot of the driver services that are mentioned on CC have drivers that have a good command of the English language, have extensive knowledge about their home city & can provide valuable assistance/advice on purchasing tickets to sites & finding places where locals like to eat. We found such a driver through driverinrome.com. Remo & (son) Daniele have been mentioned on these boards for years as having provided quality A/C vehicles, congenial drivers & either standard or personalized package tours. You will find many other companies that provide the same services if you would do a search of this thread in the upper right corner.

Good luck w/ your choices.

I was in Rome in July and we did the "on your own" way. We only had the one day because we had to get back to the ship but, when I compared our experience with friends who had used limo services, we got just as much in and spent alot less. The biggest time saver was using the Metro. I planned which sites we saw based on where the Metro stops were. Lots of walking but the city also has great water fountains everywhere where you can fill up a bottle and keep going. Yes, the water is safe. Unfortunately, because we were there in July it was horribly hot which did limit us a bit. I would have done more walking but my children would have killed me and left me dead by the side of the road. If you're going to be in Rome when it's not too hot, walking is definitely the way to go. Buy a good map (I used pocket pilot which was great because it had a map of the Metro as well) and a pass to the Metro and have fun!

If you are reasonably fit and are comfortable with walking several miles during the day, I think walking is the BEST way to see Rome.

There are some good guided walking tours in Rome, depending on what your interests are. These walking tours are a great alternative if you just don't feel comfortable going it completely on your own. (However, if you are a DIY type, Rick Steves' Rome guidebook has several outstanding walking tours.)

Regarding the driver vs. guide situation, in Rome I think the only place where having a guide would make a substantial difference is for the Vatican (museum, Sistine chaptel, and St. Peters). Some will say the Colosseum, but with a minimum of research (or a downloaded Rick Steves podcast) you can get a very good sense of the place. The Forum is a bit more confusing to do on your own, but it can be done.

If you are reasonably fit and are comfortable with walking several miles during the day, I think walking is the BEST way to see Rome.

There are some good guided walking tours in Rome, depending on what your interests are. These walking tours are a great alternative if you just don't feel comfortable going it completely on your own. (However, if you are a DIY type, Rick Steves' Rome guidebook has several outstanding walking tours.)

Regarding the driver vs. guide situation, in Rome I think the only place where having a guide would make a substantial difference is for the Vatican (museum, Sistine chaptel, and St. Peters). Some will say the Colosseum, but with a minimum of research (or a downloaded Rick Steves podcast) you can get a very good sense of the place. The Forum is a bit more confusing to do on your own, but it can be done.

I used Rick Steves' (and other) podcasts and I think that is the way to go for those who are technology-savvy and equipped.

I used Rick Steves' (and other) podcasts and I think that is the way to go for those who are technology-savvy and equipped.

And if you are not, you can just carry his Rome book with you and read as you go!:D

His walking tours and tours of specific sights, particularly those related to art, are very good.

This will be our first time in Rome and we are arriving two days prior to sailing on the Solstice. We are interested in private tours but have noticed that there are two options, one with limo, and one without. We would be interested in recommendations from those who have done either, understanding that the costs will be more for the limo. We also understand that the driver is not a licensed guide. Is there a necessity for an additional guide? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

With two full days I'd probably opt to DIY. Figure first day will still be jet lagged and only good for 1/2 day and thru early evening, with a full second day you should have more then enough time to see all the big sites.

I think the only preplanning would be to reserve tickets for the Vatican and decide up front which 4 hour afternoon block you'd choose to do it. Might also be worth getting a guide there as the place is huge.

You'll be able to save some places like Trevi and Spanish Steps for dusk and avoid some of the cruise day crowd crush. With two evenings you also of the luxury of taking in a two meals, one of which you got to do the full long slow multi course dinner ;)

For the carefree more expensive route doing the private vehicle is an option. You should understand it isn't really a "limo" in the classic US term of some long stretched vehicle. I can't remember seeing a single one of these on my trip last year. The drivers of many of these seem very good at telling history, story and tidbits/trivia. The only thing they can't do is go into any site as they aren't licensed guides. We didn't find during our 10 hour day that we missed much by not having a guide for most places. We did have one for Vatican, well worth it.

Enjoy your time in Rome

did 5 weeks in rome as a student..guide was a university prof...still did not see everything I wanted to see....most of the old city is within walking distance..there is also good public transport..but watch for pickpockets..there is one line that does most of the tourist sites and thus has lots of tourists and pickpockets...just don't have a lot of valuables and keep your senses...not dangerous just a big hassle if you lose id especially your passport

We will aslo only have a few days in Rome and have the same dilema as you. I just find I cannot bring myself around to paying for a limo and driver. It is a lot of money and as others have said, you cannot get close to many attractions with a vehicle anyway.

What we have decided was to take the hop on hop off bus tour right away.

http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm

This gives an overall perspective of the city, distances between sites etc. The added benifit is that it is a 24 or 48 hour ticket and you can use it as transportation as well. These are not for everyone but I find that when I am in a strange city, this is the best way to see the place quickly.

There are thousands of tours you can go on and one that is free, yes free, is

http://www.romefreetour.com/ or

http://www.newromefreetour.com/

Here is also a list of tours that are not too pricey

http://www.rometoolkit.com/tours/rome_city_tours.htm

So, there are ways to see Rome with the benifit of a guide that will not cost you 300 Euros and up fior a driver and car.

We will aslo only have a few days in Rome and have the same dilema as you. I just find I cannot bring myself around to paying for a limo and driver. It is a lot of money and as others have said, you cannot get close to many attractions with a vehicle anyway.

What we have decided was to take the hop on hop off bus tour right away.

http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm

This gives an overall perspective of the city, distances between sites etc. The added benifit is that it is a 24 or 48 hour ticket and you can use it as transportation as well. These are not for everyone but I find that when I am in a strange city, this is the best way to see the place quickly.

There are thousands of tours you can go on and one that is free, yes free, is

http://www.romefreetour.com/ or

http://www.newromefreetour.com/

Here is also a list of tours that are not too pricey

http://www.rometoolkit.com/tours/rome_city_tours.htm

So, there are ways to see Rome with the benifit of a guide that will not cost you 300 Euros and up fior a driver and car.

Only my opinion, but the Rome HOHO bus isn't always the best option, compared to- if anyone wants to rely on a good guidebook and map. and no mobility limitations. You always see lines and lines of people waiting at the stops, way more than a busload at the busy stops and traffic is congested and slow in Rome. I can always pack much more into my time than waiting for a HOHO bus.

You know I never thought the HOHO bus was an especially great option in Rome either. The streets are such that they go every which way making figuring out how to walk them later more confusing...... just take a taxi and same thing.

Also.....many of the areas are pedestrian only.....Trevi, Spanish steps, etc..... which makes this useless.......

Having been there twice - a good map (the little ones that the hotels give out are GREAT - not the tour ones - the other ones) and a decent sense of direction......and comfy shoes works best.

If you want to go from say the Vatican over to Coliseum and have LIMITED time .....just take a taxi. Plentiful and just not that expensive.

You know I never thought the HOHO bus was an especially great option in Rome either. The streets are such that they go every which way making figuring out how to walk them later more confusing...... just take a taxi and same thing.

Also.....many of the areas are pedestrian only.....Trevi, Spanish steps, etc..... which makes this useless.......

Having been there twice - a good map (the little ones that the hotels give out are GREAT - not the tour ones - the other ones) and a decent sense of direction......and comfy shoes works best.

If you want to go from say the Vatican over to Coliseum and have LIMITED time .....just take a taxi. Plentiful and just not that expensive.

Ditto :)

There is a lot of walking in Rome, but fortunately there are a lot of espresso cafes and pastry shops to help you along the way! Rome's old town is very walkable, not only because of its compact size but also because of the beautiful sights that you inevitably stumble across along the way.

Ditto :)

There is a lot of walking in Rome, but fortunately there are a lot of espresso cafes and pastry shops to help you along the way! Rome's old town is very walkable, not only because of its compact size but also because of the beautiful sights that you inevitably stumble across along the way.

oh yeah..... love the pastry shops ! and the little wall mounted fountains you come across when least expecting it...... or the wonderful old huge worn doors on the old buildings.....love them. Must have 100 pics of doors in Europe :D Crazy I know. Wish they could tell the stories they know !

Looking for advice on most efficient way to get from port to the city. Have pretty much decided to do Rome on our own, except for a Vatican Tour, but am unsure about best way to get from the MSC Splendida to the main sites.

Have decided against the train. Are looking at taking the MSC Excursion bus with no tour...or taking in a limo, also with no tour.

Will one or the other be a lot quicker getting away from the ship and into town? The MSC bus will be cheaper [not as cheap as the train] but will we loose time being herded off the ship to the bus.

Also has anyone taken this MSC transportation only excursion? Can't seem to find out where in Rome it drops you off and picks you up.

Thanks to the advice from this and other "threads" we plan to be a little more adventurous and strike out on our own...this is the last piece of our puzzle.

Looking for advice on most efficient way to get from port to the city. Have pretty much decided to do Rome on our own, except for a Vatican Tour, but am unsure about best way to get from the MSC Splendida to the main sites.

Have decided against the train. Are looking at taking the MSC Excursion bus with no tour...or taking in a limo, also with no tour.

Will one or the other be a lot quicker getting away from the ship and into town? The MSC bus will be cheaper [not as cheap as the train] but will we loose time being herded off the ship to the bus.

Also has anyone taken this MSC transportation only excursion? Can't seem to find out where in Rome it drops you off and picks you up.

Thanks to the advice from this and other "threads" we plan to be a little more adventurous and strike out on our own...this is the last piece of our puzzle.

Why did you eliminate the train option? From Civitavecchia, the train is simple to catch, inexpensive, gives you multiple debarkation/embarkation options within Roma, and has multiple departure & return times, so you would have maximum flexibility for relatively little hassle. If cost is not a concern, then pre-booking and sharing a minivan transfer is a great option. Done right, this would be the same or cheaper than the cruiseline's transportation without the hassles of waiting for others and with the benefit of leaving/returning on your schedule. Either way, the cruise shuttle is the worst option from both a scheduling flexibility and cost perspective.

Do not rule out sharing a ride. There is usually a roll call for every sailing....find it and chat with others on your sailing. See if another couple would like to share a "ride" with one of the many wonderful companies recommended here on cruisecritic. They will pick you up at the port and take you where ever you want to go.....its your call. Sharing makes it sooo much more economical and its fun too..... you don't have to stay hip-to-hip with the other couple the whole time either..... just have a meeting place and time to rejoin when necessary.

Archived