4 hours in Venice - what to do?

kj_connections

You will need to be on the cruise ship at least two hours before you sail.

If it was me I would go over to the cruise ship and board.

Now, when you say arrive at 12:35 PM. Is that at the airport? You still need to get over to the ship? If you are flying where are you flying from? The reason I ask is that you are not allowing much time should flights be delayed or canceled. You could easily miss the ship.

Keith

You also must factor in the time it will take you to get your luggage, go through passport control, etc. Then add in the time it takes to get to the city from the airport, what are you going to do with your luggage during that time, and then from the city back to the cruise terminal. For example, we were staying on Lido this summer and had a private boat to take us to the airport. It took a good 45 minutes, if not longer.

I agree that you honestly don't really have the time to do any sightseeing, IME. That's why flying in the day before, if possible, saves the worry that you will miss your ship because your flights were delayed/cancelled, and you will have time to see a bit of the city.

I arrive in Venice airport at 12:35pm and my cruise sets sail at 6pm. I figure I have at most 4 hours to sightsee anything nearby the cruise terminal. Any suggestions on what to do with such limited amount of time?

I think the best strategy would be to go to the ship and check onboard ASAP. You still might have time to squeeze an hour or two of sigthseening.

12:35 arrival, 1:00pm out of airport, 2pm at the dock, 2:30 on the boat, 2:45-4 or perhaps 5pm for some quick sightseening. Hope you get an early arrival. I've found international flights are a bit better at this then domestic flights

Good luck.

Why in the world wouldn't you go a day early? I would just be too nervous flying in the day of the cruise, especially if it is not a direct flight. Too many things can go wrong. You really should see Venice, not just from the deck of a ship.

Trip insurance doesn't make up for the frustration and lost enjoyment of missing the ship and having to pick it up in another port.

I would not plan to do anything in Venice. I would plan to get through passport control and pick up your luggage and get over to the cruise ship. Even if everything goes well the entire process will take time. Once on the ship you may want to get oriented with the ship, start unpacking once your luggage arrives, go to the lifeboat drill and so forth. I really don't think you would have much time to do anything. Also, keep in mind if you are docked where many of the ships are docket most of the sites are a water taxi away or at least a good walk and that doesn't give you much time.

Anytime one flies to Europe I highly recommend flying in at least a day before. That way you get over the jet lag, you get to see the city, and most importantly you don't have to fear missing the ship with a canceled or delayed flight. But I realize that sometimes schedules do not permit this.

Keith

Trip insurance doesn't make up for the frustration and lost enjoyment of missing the ship and having to pick it up in another port.

I would not plan to do anything in Venice. I would plan to get through passport control and pick up your luggage and get over to the cruise ship. Even if everything goes well the entire process will take time. Once on the ship you may want to get oriented with the ship, start unpacking once your luggage arrives, go to the lifeboat drill and so forth. I really don't think you would have much time to do anything. Also, keep in mind if you are docked where many of the ships are docket most of the sites are a water taxi away or at least a good walk and that doesn't give you much time.

Anytime one flies to Europe I highly recommend flying in at least a day before. That way you get over the jet lag, you get to see the city, and most importantly you don't have to fear missing the ship with a canceled or delayed flight. But I realize that sometimes schedules do not permit this.

Keith

I think Keith' suggestion is best just gather all of your things together after your flight and head to the ship. Even if you made perfect time at every stop there is no way you can even begin to enjoy Venice with just a few hours.

I'll be the contrarian and state that if indeed your flight arrives on time, and you can get to Piazzale Roma by around 1:30 or 2 PM (it really only is 20 minutes by bus), I would put my luggage (even if carry-on) in storage there and look around for an hour or so.

With a good map and if you have any interest in art, the Frari Church (Renaissance greats) and Scuola Grande di San Rocco (Tintoretto) only are a ten-minute walk from Piazzale Roma, and both are primo sights, particularly the former IMO. One does not often have the opportunity to enjoy artworks in situ. You certainly would have time to enjoy one of them.

If not, with a good map, just wandering around a little bit across the gardens across from the bus station to either the Santa Croce or San Polo areas would be nice.

If you do not have a good sense of direction or a good map, just go to the ship and relax!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips CintiPam. If I have time, I'm glad there are a few things nearby I can quickly stop and look at.

If anyone has an idea of where there's a good map, either online or where to buy one, please let me know!

KJ,

I would try google online or some of the other online map sites. Also check some of the other threads in this area. Some have the online map all ready noted.

Hope that helps.

Kathy

Thanks for the tips CintiPam. If I have time, I'm glad there are a few things nearby I can quickly stop and look at.

If anyone has an idea of where there's a good map, either online or where to buy one, please let me know!

You're welcome. I love Venice (spent five days there on an Italy land trip three years ago), and am very much looking forward to a few days there myself pre-cruise at the end of next April.

Both the Rick Steves' Italy and Rick Steves' Venice guidebooks have a good map of the area I discussed in the front of the books. The Venice book also contains good one-hour tours of the two sights I suggested in my earlier post.

I know I sound like a broken record but if this was me my priority would be to get over ot the ship and to check in first. We have been to Venice many times. Easy to get around when you understand it. Hard the first time around and the maps don't always help.

This all might be a mute issue because of the flight. Focus on getting to the ship and if you don't do that be sure you know what time you have to be on the ship and pad it quite a bit.

Venice is indeed a wonderful place and hopefully you'll be able to return another time either as part of a port stop or when you have a full day or several days there.

Keith

Archived