Looking for good private tour guide

scomar

Hi there - I just checked my email log. It took him 3 days to respond to me. I inquired on 12-Feb, and heard back from him on 15-Feb. I guess he doesn't check his email every day...

Perhaps phone is better? I don't know...

Mary Ellen

OK, thanks. I'll make sure not to be too annoying to him :)

- Steve

Steve,

If you dont want to call him I can always give him a call or email as well. From reading the reviews about this guy I think we should get set up with him while we are in PR. Let me know buddy. Ill shoot you an email as well.

Luckily, we're the only ship in port on that day, so I'm not too worried about it :)

- Steve

yup we are the only ship port that day so thats a bonus. but I would like for us to hear back from this Albert guy so we know if we are taking a tour with him or if alternate plans need to be booked. This other company I called that does the rainforest hike in El Yunque says they do not have any space available. My next option is a more local excursion but I would rather do El Yunque. Hopefully we will hear back from Albert today.

We have booked our tour but Albert didn't mention where to meet him.

We met him just as we came outside the port building. You get off the ship, then you walk through a building, and he was just the other side of it. I walked right past him, even though he was standing right there with a sign with my name on it!!! My family members had to call me back.

Albert finally replied and is available for our day! For those who have done the rainforest and old San Juan tour, what do you recommend wearing and bringing with us? Sounds like you hike, swim etc - running the gamut of shoes and clothing :confused:

He also mentioned that he can support up to 22 people. Do you know what kind of vehicle he would use for the larger group? Or maybe he has several vans and would split people up?

Albert finally replied and is available for our day! For those who have done the rainforest and old San Juan tour, what do you recommend wearing and bringing with us? Sounds like you hike, swim etc - running the gamut of shoes and clothing :confused:

He also mentioned that he can support up to 22 people. Do you know what kind of vehicle he would use for the larger group? Or maybe he has several vans and would split people up?

Hi there! So glad you finally heard from him. I was getting worried.

Wear shorts & sneakers. If you think you want to swim at the waterfall, wear a bathing suit under your clothes. We didn't. But I asked your same question of Albert, before we left, and he'd told me there were changing facilities -- restrooms -- at the rainforest. If you opt for the longer rainforest hike, you'll want good sturdy footwear (sneakers -- not hiking boots); if you do the shorter 15-minute hike (which we did), you'd probably be fine with sandals (but not the cheap & flimsy type of flip-flops).

The Old San Juan tour was actually a driving tour (I had assumed it was going to be a walking tour, but no), so we didn't get out of the van.

No idea how he accommodates 22 people.

Have fun on your day there!!

Mary Ellen

Thanks for the info...One more thing, I assume you paid him in cash at the end of your tour (vs a credit card or something else)? Not sure how I would feel about using a credit card. Ideally I'd rather pay him via PalPay but not sure how to swing that.

btw, I just emailed him back and asked about the vehicle for the larger group. We already have 10 people (out of our 17 going) who want to do this tour with us, so we'll see what he says.

Hey - we just got back from San Juan this September and we had the MOST AMAZING Guide ever - His name is Albert Aguirre and you can reach him at surfcabs@yahoo.com or (787)317-6907

No question about it - CALL ALBERT!!!!!!

We booked Albert prior to our cruise based on the reviews here and he is the best. He met us at the pier and then tried to get others to join us (we were two, but he needs a minimum of six). Albert has spent most of his life in PR, but speaks perfect English (with a hint of a New Jersey accent). Another cab driver came in to tell him he was getting a ticket so he had to leave for about 15 minutes to move his van. During that time people coming off the ship asked us what tour we were waiting for. By the time Albert returned there were 7 of us waiting to go (shout out to Corey, Becky, Barbara, Eugene and Eugene's wife - a lovely woman and I apologize for forgetting her name!).

Albert is knowledgeable, entertaining, and very flexible with itineraries. We had originally discussed visiting the rainforest, Luquillo beach, and Old San Juan. Albert let us know what our options were every step of the way and how each option would affect the rest of the tour....then let the group decide. He accomodated two separate trail hikes for our group (different levels of difficulty), bathroom stops whenever we needed, and took pictures for us. His commentary and knowledge of the island, Old San Juan, and El Yunque is amazing. We learned and saw things we would have never known or recognized had he not been with us. He answered all of the questions our group could come up with.

For those of you thinking about venturing off on your own I would caution you. The signage for El Yunque is minimal, one small sign immediately before the turn off the main road and only a couple more after that. There is also the question of safety. Many areas we went through did not look particularly safe at all. Albert even gave us the history of the projects and seaside ghettos we passed along the way. Being chauffered by someone who has extensive knowledge of the area and speaks the language made us feel very safe.

I can't say enough about Albert! Did I mention he was only $50 pp?

Yay for Albert!!! So glad you had a great time. We were with him 3 weeks ago.

Is Luquillo Beach the one that's across the street from the fritter place? That's where we stopped, and I didn't know the name. Did you try the fritters? He says his father-in-law *insists* on being taken there straight from the airport when he's visiting -- before he even goes home, sees his daughter or the grandkids or anything!

Glad you had fun!

Mary Ellen

Yay for Albert!!! So glad you had a great time. We were with him 3 weeks ago.

Is Luquillo Beach the one that's across the street from the fritter place? That's where we stopped, and I didn't know the name. Did you try the fritters? He says his father-in-law *insists* on being taken there straight from the airport when he's visiting -- before he even goes home, sees his daughter or the grandkids or anything!

Glad you had fun!

Mary Ellen

We did a long hike in El Yunque so we skipped the beach because of darkness (our ship was in from 1pm to 11pm). I do believe you are talking about Luquillo - should have been about 15-20 minutes from El Yunque with stores/food shacks lining the road before the beach.

Albert was truly our best "find" here on cruise critic!

Kristin1112- Have you talked with him yet about your larger group? My husband and I will be on the same cruise as your group and I just emailed him today. He told me that he only has 4 people signed up! Did you all decide not to go? If so, did you find something better :) ? Just wondering, thanks!

anyone know if Albert has a website or email address? we're thinking of booking him for our family (2 adults + 2 kids) in December. Thanks.

email = surfcabs@yahoo.com

phone = 787-317-6907

I don't think he has a website. I'm sitting here looking at his business card which he gave me on March 10 when we toured with him. He's a great guy & a great guide. You'll have a wonderful day!!

Mary Ellen

Kristin1112- Have you talked with him yet about your larger group? My husband and I will be on the same cruise as your group and I just emailed him today. He told me that he only has 4 people signed up! Did you all decide not to go? If so, did you find something better :) ? Just wondering, thanks!

Interesting, because we confirmed with him on March 23 - we have approximately 8 people - as many as 17. We're definitely going! Maybe I need to email him again...

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

We just booked Albert for March 10, for our group of 6 people. Here's the description of his tour that he emailed me:

It would be my pleasure to provide a tour for you and your family. The tour consists of the El Yunque Rainforest with waterfalls, observatory towers and some hiking. ( optional ) A coast drive with beautiful views and a complete tour of old San Juan. The hiking, there is a 15 minute trail where you get the feeling of what the rainforest is all about and there s another trail for about 45 minute walk that the mid point is another waterfall that you can swim. At the coast drive we will stop by the beach for pictures and if interested some traditional puertorican fritters. At old San Juan you will see the Forts, Cathedral, Governor mantion and all the history, old San Juan is the oldest city in American territory. The tour lenght is 4 hours. The cost is $50.00pp 6 people minimum. Satisfaction Guarantee. For more information please feel free to call me at 787-317-6907. Albert Aguirre

For those who've done it, do you have any tips or recommendations? Things to make sure we don't miss, or things to avoid? Thanks in advance...

I'll post again after we get home & let you know how it went.

Mary Ellen

Do you know if you get out and tour the forts or just drive by them:confused:

Also what time does he take you? We are in port from 7:00 - 3:00.

We want to have some time for shopping and just walking around.

We just did the Freedom in April and had timing issues (waiting a long time for the excursions to get going:()

Archived