Budget question for Budget Queen

texascruiser3

PS This board would be a much, MUCH poorer place without BQ's "opinions." She's the only CC contributor I know of who has actually been quoted in Alaska guidebooks.... even THEY defer to her knowledge!

Budget Queen, I'm curious, how many Alaskan cruises have you been on and how did you become so accomplished? I also consider myself a "budget queen" and scoured discount internet sites to book our 1st Alaskan cruise in August and found quite a deal.(We were talking across our balacony to our next door neighbor on the cruise and found out that they paid double what we paid for the same cruise and the same room) I booked in May for our August sailing and of course didn't get the prime aft balcony, but we were very happy with the one we got. So, can you share some of your money saving tips and when are the best deals to be had in Alaska? My husband & I were on an anniversary trip, but fell in love with Alaska, and want to take our college age boys back this summer & wondered if you could share your insight into which cruise line you prefer or should I just focus on the itinerary as some have suggested? We will have to do RT Seattle as that seems to be the most reasonable route.

I have been to Alaska 26 trips, with 20 cruises there out of 62 total cruises, I have been on. I first went in 1994, thinking it was my one and only trip. :) I have sailed on 5 different cruiselines. I am not impressed by cruiseships and don't care, so for me, it is transportation to Alaska- my priority. I really don't have a "favorite".

I am a budget traveler, who always opts for the cheap cabins, modest eats, tiny rental cars, basic lodging. I can handle all my bags- easily. :)

I have long been using cruise discounters, over 20 years, and way before online access. Used to have to use the phone. :) The bonus, was very few people knew about the cut rates and they were significant. Now, I rarely book way in advance, and do take advantage of sales and deals, having nothing fixed in any long term plans. Other major significant factors, Is my 12 weeks off per year that allows me to do this, with being 2nd senior, getting all my choices of time off approved, a well paying job and no outstanding bills. But the biggest savings for me is I am married to an airline employee who is now retired, (at age 51).

This is where I am coming from. Everyone is different. Some people have to book way ahead, and may want only certain timeframes. That planning is more restrictive in pricing, perhaps.

Wow! Twenty six trips, that is amazing! You should change your name to "Alaskan Queen!":) Have you done any land tours? That's interesting that you don't have a cruiseline preference. I guess I was thinking that you would say HAL. After hearing from the locals in Ketchikan, that round trip airfare from there to Seattle is $600, we realized what a great value an Alalskan cruise is. Can you give us a "top ten" excursion list? One last question, is it worth the extra expense in your opinion, to do the inside passage from Vancouver?

About 1/2 were interior Alaska trips with 2 of those winter trips.

In my opinion, I would definately sail out of Vancouver, or inside Vancouver Island, every chance I get. This year I sailed the NCL Star out of Seattle, which DID sail inside Vancouver Island northbound, for a fantastic full scenic sailing day.

My excursion preferences are always flights- every trip. :) I greatly enjoy hiking, getting a "few streets" off center, and getting a look at local life. History is of interest, and I always greatly enjoy seeing the Alaska friends I have made over the years, which are true gems.

I agree, a cruise to Alaska offers plenty packed into 7 days with a scenic glacier/fjord sailing day and at least 3 wonderful, varied, worthwhile ports. (unlike the Caribbean :) )

Which is one of the reasons, I disagree with the one ways being "better". A round trip can certainly offer a great trip!!

Budget Queen, I wish that I had seen your resumé prior to our first Alaska tour. Now I know which posts to read for planning our second. Your method of travel strikes a familiar note!

This board is loaded with fantastic information, accurate and first hand. Constantly updated. Can really be beneficial for trip planning. It is because of all the posters on this board. :)

texascruiser3: Can you share which web sites you look at for your Alaska cruise deals? I have subscribed to several but really find no big reductions. Perhaps the secret is to get closer to the sailing date but I am always afraid I will not be able to get the cabin or deck I really want. We need a cabin to accommodate three people and they are scarce. If we wait too long hoping for a big reduction aren't we taking the chance of having to get a more expensive cabin, bad location (I like mid-ship for the motion sickness problem), higher deck, etc. How can we avoid this problem and still get a good price?

texascruiser3: Can you share which web sites you look at for your Alaska cruise deals? I have subscribed to several but really find no big reductions. Perhaps the secret is to get closer to the sailing date but I am always afraid I will not be able to get the cabin or deck I really want. We need a cabin to accommodate three people and they are scarce. If we wait too long hoping for a big reduction aren't we taking the chance of having to get a more expensive cabin, bad location (I like mid-ship for the motion sickness problem), higher deck, etc. How can we avoid this problem and still get a good price?

Rules of this board do not allow anyone to give the names of any travel agencies whether local or online within a post.

I, too, checked every online discounter I could find (I would guess over 20). I was curious. Most were the same price I was getting with my local TA. Some were more expensive. The only "deal" I found was $100 less. I opted to stick with my local TA. Like I have said many times before, I do prefer to keep my local businesses afloat. I don't want to live in a ghost town ;)

The advice given over and over on this board is if you want a certain cabin/deck, you should book early. If there are price drops, you can request the price drop if it is before final payment is due. You are responsible to watch for the price drops yourself. Most agencies, local or online, will not contact you about a price drop. Before you book with an agency, check if they will charge you a fee to arrange for the price drop for you. Most that I am aware of do not charge. Some do.

You know, I guess that's the million dollar question! I have always been able to find great cruise deals in the Caribbean by booking last minute and by last minute I mean 60-90 days out. I don't really care about a prime location, just a great deal. My understanding is that because there aren't as many cruises offered in Alaska, shorter cruise season etc. the deals are harder to find. But I just read an article that said because of the economy, the 09 season has been the best year to snag a deal.

I use a couple of sites to look for deals. Google "multiple travel sites." These sites are great, because you just have to enter your information once and then you can go to multiple discount sites to check their prices. I also received a $100 onboard credit. There are some discount sites right now who are offering prepaid gratuities and discounts on the 3rd passenger. We did get a balcony cabin mid-ship and on deck 9 and booked 90 days out. We are planning our 2010 trip for the first week in June so I've decided to wait to book after hearing from Budget Queen. I'm also banking on the fact that there will still be a few school districts that won't be out for the summer yet, so hopefully we'll wind up with a good deal. I will say, that after I booked in May, I would periodically check back to see what the price was and it definately went up in price. A few of them will give you a price guarantee, but you should check first before booking.

Sorry to be so long winded!

Can anybody else give us suggestions on the best time to book if you're just looking for a deal and not a prime stateroom?

Archived