Canadian out of province travel insurance

RN1986

I have a question to any fellow Canadians. I have travel insurance (out of province) with my work insurance. Is there any point in buying the travel insurance from the cruise lines when you already have coverage? Does the cruise line accept this coverage??

I have a question to any fellow Canadians. I have travel insurance (out of province) with my work insurance. Is there any point in buying the travel insurance from the cruise lines when you already have coverage? Does the cruise line accept this coverage??

Ottawa here. expedia offers it for about 4.00/day it is so worth it and it is good for like 6mths. For that price it is worth being over covered than under if a crisis happens.

I too would buy additional insurance - esp for cancellation/interruption and lost luggage! I have used insuremytrip.ca as they have various options to choose from.....I have since gotten a (travel points) credit card which comes with insurance - for any trips purchased with the card (and covers family members) so the annual fee is worth it to me!

(Hi Crash! another ottawan here!)

You mention "out of province". Are you taking a cruise just within Canada, or out of the US? Because unless your cruise comes and goes in Canada and only goes to Canadian ports, you need more than out of province coverage.

Read the fine print carefully! Another thing to note is whether or not you have to pay upront then get reimbursed or not.

My extended medical through work covers me for out of province/county but many of these plans come out of your life time amount and don't include everything (like medi-vac home for example). So to be safe I always get a package for medical, baggage, cancellation and interruption from BCAA. No paying upfront for medical care and having to wait to be reimbursed. You are just covered... for pretty much everything imaginable.

Always better over insured than under, I think.... then you'll probably never need it, which is best :)

Another thing to consider is that some insurance policies pay upfront while others require you to pay and then be reimbursed. Depending on your situation, that might have implications. We are well-insured through work and given that the cost of premiums is way out of line with risk (for just cancellation), we do not purchase insurance.

Be very careful with this. Some employer plans (mine was one) require that you pay first and then they reimburse you. That might be ok for a twisted ankle or something but if you have a major issue while you're away then you better ask where you're going to get the 10's of thousands of dollars, maybe 100's of thousands.

I've always looked at it this way, for the $300 we spend on our trip insurance, we get an awful lot of piece of mind.

Get a CREDIT card that gives you all .Visa DEsjardins covers me and all my family for up to 2500$ pp for any trip up to 3 weeks including cancellation and interruption /medical and baggage etcetc .

I did need to once paid me back in full

Get it .My friends did and one of them ,her husband needed IV on ship ...caught a bug .well 2599$ US later she got it all back because she got this VIsa card It costs about 90$ but well worth it if you travel with family ..anywhere

If you need it rush I'm sure they would get it to you .

I got a TD visa FREE but it is good for 7 days only same coverage

Think about it you pay once ...covered all year!!!

Michele

Here are my thoughts......

--Most credit card programs require that the trip be paid for in full on the credit card in question - so if you have already booked the trip, its too late for the credit card insurance -- also these are sometimes trip cancellation for limited reasons, other times can be medical - you need to investigate - and annual fees are often steep - good only if you travel a lot!

--Employer plans

-check if family members are covered on pleasure trips,

-check if pleasure trips for the employee are covered vs just work trips,

-check maximum's on various types of coverage

-check duration of travel - some coverage limits the number of days you can be gone

-check out of province vs out of country,

-check if they will pay directly to the supplier vs reimbursement,

-check what documents you'll need to get to get reimbursement (you don't want to see a doctor on a Caribbean Island and then when you get home find out you don't have enough documentation to get reimbursed)

-also if its medical insurance only, it won't necessarily be trip cancellation due to medical reasons (there are very few trip cancellation for any reason policies around

-- for example if you have to work & can't go on trip after all, insurance won't cover the cost of your cruise or air

-- most trip cancellation policies cover "can't go because of medical emergency" type of situations )

You have to know your coverage, know what / who is NOT covered, and decide if the additional risk is worth it to you personally, vs buying additional insurance.

Our travel agent offers us RBC insurance - its trip cancellation for medical reasons only (excluding pre-existing conditions:rolleyes:) and that alone she quotes us over $300 for the 4 of us. Medical is on top of that, but luckily hubby has great family medical thru work that covers a lot.

The good news is, once you do all this investigation, you know the answers for the next trip - provided your coverage doesn't change!!! :rolleyes:

Archived