Take a Powder (Carefully if you fly to your cruise.)

jhannah

Although there's "no specific threat," the TSA will now be taking extra scrutiny of powders at airport checkpoints. While they say that infant formula and makeup probably won't raise eyebrows, other things might. For more information, click here to go to the TSA site.

Liquids, gels, and now powders. What else can they throw in the mix?

Ah, the joys of flying! Soon it will be like the old cartoon showing folks boarding an Israel plane walking stark naked carrying all their luggage which is loaded into the baggage when the passenger boards. :eek:

Although there's "no specific threat," the TSA will now be taking extra scrutiny of powders at airport checkpoints. While they say that infant formula and makeup probably won't raise eyebrows, other things might. For more information, click here to go to the TSA site.

Thanks jhannah for the Heads up. I appreciate it.

Joanie

Solids?

Or, perhaps, they can rework their scheme of stuff based on animal, vegetable or mineral.

Thanks for the info and link ... saw an article in today's paper, and there was a hilarious comment about 4" spike heels being pretty lethal but not banned. Someone else commented about Security Theater.

And ... we all should remember that DHS/TSA still does not screen all air cargo (yes, it goes in the belly of the plane) for explosives.

You mean like baby powder? Ohhh what will i do without it LOL

One day they will say no carry on. that way they can get more for regular luggage

they maybe going a little over board.

During a short flight from Portland to Los Angeles, my Mom decided to take her leftover omlette home with her. That made it past security but the 3 jars of sealed, homemade jam from a local farm had to be tossed. . . crazy?! Are bombs disguised as bell pepper and sausage omlettes in our future?

On a flight home from Orlando my husband realized, midflight, he still had his 6" knife in his pocket. We had to throw away baby tylenol for our 14 mo. old with a mild fever, but the knife made it through. I love TSA!

On a flight home from Orlando my husband realized, midflight, he still had his 6" knife in his pocket. We had to throw away baby tylenol for our 14 mo. old with a mild fever, but the knife made it through. I love TSA!
Exactly! It's like watching Don Quixote fighting windmills. :rolleyes:

I guess the point here is that if you use something like a medicated body powder or denture powder, pack it in your checked bag or be prepared to undergo extra screening while they make sure it won't blow up.

why your husband had a 6" knife in his pocket? That's a strange thing to carry on your way to the airport, never mind going on the plane.

why your husband had a 6" knife in his pocket? That's a strange thing to carry on your way to the airport, never mind going on the plane.

Because he always carries it. Usually when we get to the airport he puts it in his checked baggage and off it goes. Not really strange at all, in fact, it's come in handy on numerous occasions.

Thanks for the heads up. I usually take talc powder with me so it looks like I better put it into my checked. The stuff I have has the label in Italian and I know when I was in the airport in Vegas the security guy looked at it over and over. I thought it was weird.

Try corn starch for body powder - nothing in it to set off the alarms - well, who knows what sets off the alarms these days.

Thanks for the info though - fortunately we are sailing out of our home port so will be sure to ditch the powder before flying home.

What about powder meds in capsules - will they be suspect too?

or vitamin pills?

where will it all end......

Try corn starch for body powder - nothing in it to set off the alarms - well, who knows what sets off the alarms these days.

Thanks for the info though - fortunately we are sailing out of our home port so will be sure to ditch the powder before flying home.

What about powder meds in capsules - will they be suspect too?

or vitamin pills?

where will it all end......

So true....but knife makes it through security. I feel really safe.

FYI - Going to Cancun two weeks ago, TSA pulled DH aside and tested his shirt for any residue - when I asked what was up with it he said all they told him was they were checking for powders... almost every male going through during that time frame was also being given some sort of powder testing on their clothing.

It only took a few seconds and we never even questioned it - thinking back; it was only done on male pax though. Weird.

So first of all we couldn't bring our liquid make-up onto the aircraft for fear that we might be concealing something other than our blotchy complexions. Some of us have switched over to powder based make-up so that we wouldn't have trouble when and if we decided to fly. Now this. Well folks, I've never been a stunner, but this gal's not going to look all that great getting off a flight because my make-up is going to be virtually non-existent by the time I get to my destination. Fair warning.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

So first of all we couldn't bring our liquid make-up onto the aircraft for fear that we might be concealing something other than our blotchy complexions. Some of us have switched over to powder based make-up so that we wouldn't have trouble when and if we decided to fly. Now this. Well folks, I've never been a stunner, but this gal's not going to look all that great getting off a flight because my make-up is going to be virtually non-existent by the time I get to my destination. Fair warning.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Too funny:D.

I once went through the Heathrow airport in London carrying one of the early, bulky calculators in my suit pocket and was patted down. The person doing the patting never even found it. :rolleyes: Boy, did I feel safe on that flight.

Archived