USAir (3 threads combined)

pattyk

"A judge could cancel the IAM's contract on Jan. 6 absent a consensual deal."

January 6th is the first key date IMHO. The airline can then hire replacements and the union is free to strike. Even with replacement workers, there will be significant disruption if other unions honor the IAM picket line and don't cross it.

I feel the baggage fiasco over Christmas was not caused by disgruntled employees taking it out on the flying public. It was a planned demonstration of the chaos that will result if US Air goes under to encourage the federal government to step in and prevent a total shutdown of the carrier. The IAM is not concerned so much with protecting salaries as they are in protecting union jobs. Baggage handling isn't a specialized skill. The IAM is facing a lose/lose scenario. If they hold out for higher salaries - US Air goes bankrupt and the jobs are lost. If they give in to lower salaries, US Air still flies, but what good then is the union? Workers will likely prefer to NOT have the union take their payment out of each lower paycheck. And that is across ALL the union jobs the IAM has on all the carriers! The only way the union can preserve union jobs is if the federal government steps in. This isn't so much a game of chicken as it is the IAM having it's back to the wall with nothing further to lose.

The key question is what will passengers expect from the government and how will the government respond? If this was still during the election season, the IAM would have a far more powerful position to get attention from the government. Somehow, I don't think President Bush will be as interested in preventing a shutdown now.

If the IAM strikes, for certain most of the passengers will lose. If US Air goes under, absolutely every passenger will lose. The carrier has to get lower rates or go bankrupt. So it will not budge. The unon has to protect union jobs so it will not budge. And I think the government will not step in. This is likely not going to end well. :eek:

Anyone flying US Air in 2005 needs to get an alternate travel method planned ASAP. US Air is not flying with empty seats. They are flying mostly full planes but not making sufficient profit from those seats. The system lacks the excess capacity to make up for the loss of seats if US Air goes under. It won't matter if yu have insurance. It won't matter if the government steps in and makes other carriers honor US Air tickets. There won't be enough available seats. Even flying in a day early, I think there is a large chance of missing a cruise departure if US Air goes under. People really need to make althernate plans.

An issue came up in a US Airways-related thread today that I thought was interesting.

Is there any incentive for US Airways employees to bring about the demise of their airline more quickly -- incentive that could be the foundation for why some employees may have undermined the airline's viability this past weekend by allegedly staging an unauthorized sick-out?

I casually dismissed the idea at first, but then I remembered that unemployment compensation is often computed based on income averaging, and employees who just took a 40% pay-cut would actually end-up getting more unemployment compensation over the long-term if the company ceases operations sooner than later. Scary thought...

seems like the "sick calls" fall right in with what they had threatened weeks ago. "chaos" choosing a random airport and causing a shut-down of services without any warning. it isn't a "strike" so the president cannot order them back to work. airline cannot predict when and where it will happen again, so management cannot get scabs in to cover for the "sick" employees. never thought of the unemployment issue...

bicker...so glad i bought tickets on American...as you said back in november, we can sleep at night amid the "chaos" and uncertainty happening right now...

Patty and all. Remember, the first knowlege you have of a shut down will be a news story that "XYZ airline has ceased operation and all flights cancelled." "Creditors have seized the assets."

"Employees are instructed to not report for work unless notified." "Customers holding tickets are to call 1-800-***-**** for further information."

Planes will probably be parked where they are at the time of seizure. Employees will have difficulty with pay that has not been received. Health insurance may be good for a short time. In other words, the company/airline will no longer exist.

The choice of Philadelphia doesn't seem all that random. I think more US Airways itineraries connect through Philadelphia than through any other airport. It was the perfect place to disrupt baggage service.

Work for Free

PHILADELPHIA-December 29, 2004 — US Airways is appealing to employees to work at Philadelphia's airport over the New Year's weekend – for free, it now says, in some cases.

Company officials say they want to avoid a repeat of the Christmas fiasco that left the airline with too few workers to fly its planes and process baggage.

A memo to employees says it's "a volunteer program." It says the employees won't be paid if it's their day off.

Company spokesman David Castelveter says, "We're not forcing them to come in; we're asking them to come in willfully."

He says employees who do come in on days when they would normally be working will be paid.

Separately, the airline is warning employees that it will review the attendance records of those who called in sick over the Christmas holiday – and will discipline workers who abused the sick time system.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Last Updated: Dec 29, 2004

http://www.wpvi.com

I have a U.S. Airways flight with my girlfriend out of Washington Reagan (also called Washington National) for Fort Lauderdale this Sunday. Our flight leaves at 10:15 a.m. or so, arrives around 12:30 and then we are taking a van to the Miami pier for a cruise on the NCL Spirit.

The Spirit does not depart until 8 p.m. Sunday, which under normal circumstances gives us PLENTY of time.

My question is, how worried should I be, exactly?

I notice several things. First, there is one (and only one) U.S. Airways flight after mine that would get us to Fort Launderdale on time, so maybe if ours got cancelled we could get on that one...maybe.

Second, Delta seems to have some seats left for the same flight that are pretty darn cheap (like, $163 roundtrip), which surprises the heck out of me, because I assumed that Sunday would be an incredibly busy travel day.

We return on Friday, Jan. 7. I'm not really worried about that flight because I have two days to get back to Washington and even if (god forbid) U.S. Airways was suddenly going under, I think I would have many options, either out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

Can anyone soothe my nerves here?

I think we won't see any movement on US Airways until at least January 6, and most likely nothing until January 15. After that, all bets are off.

There are some who are still expecting CHAOS this weekend. I really don't.

That's just wrong - both the volunteer list and publishing anything internal.

How would you like to punish those that called in "sick", so they could either create havoc with the airline or spend Christmas with their family? I bet all those people stuck at the Philly airport would like to know EXACTLY who those people were that ruined their holiday. Think of all the money which was lost by those passengers-rental cars, hotels, cruises, extra meals at the airport, taxi's to a hotel and the list goes on. I do hope US Air publishes the list. You can't do anything about the flights which were delayed by the weather, but a "sick out", EXPECIALLY during the holiday, is absolutely the lowest of the low. Talk about a good way to take a business down.

This weekend cost me, out of my pocket, over $11,000. It has nothing to do with passenger stuff, but the fiasco in Philly prevented flights that I had freight on from arriving on time. So I had to reschedule a lot of stuff and when my drivers went to the Philly airport, they could hardly get into the cargo bays, due to all the stuff that did not get on the planes. It was not only luggage that did not get shipped on US Air; it was also a lot of US mail and critical medical stuff and perishable food products.

PUBLISH the list in CAPITAL letters. I will be writing to each and every one of the selfish people who ruined a lot of holidays.

I agree with palmtre2 that it would inappropriate to post any names of folks who called in sick until it is definitively proven that they weren't actually sick. Actually, given the potential for anger on the part of the flying public that greatam pointed out, it would be irresponsible for the airline to do so, and I feel the airline would be opening itself up to a significant amount of liability if they actually did something like that.

I'll be flying US Air after the cruise to home again. What worries me is not the idea they might not have our flight for us to get home, but they do have the flight and those resposible for maintenance on the plane have slacked off. THAT is enough tomake me worry and fret.

Thoughts?

The choice of Philadelphia doesn't seem all that random. I think more US Airways itineraries connect through Philadelphia than through any other airport. It was the perfect place to disrupt baggage service.

It's US Air's hub. Can't remember where United's is but if you fly them, make sure you know come February, strikes are threatening over at that airline!

US Airways hubs are Philadelphia, Charlotte and as of next month, Ft. Lauderdale, with concentration cities Pittsburgh, New York (LaGuardia), Boston and Washington (Reagan National).

United Airlines hubs are Chicago, Washington (Dulles), San Francisco.

For completeness...

American Airlines - Chicago, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Los Angeles, Miami

Delta - Atlanta, Cincinnati, St. Lake City

Continental - Newark, Houston (Bush Intercontinental), Cleveland

Northwest - Detroit, Minneapolis, Memphis

I would not worry that aircraft safety would be compromised by the machinists union. If the people who fix the aircraft want to create chaos, they do a work "slowdown" preventing needed safety checks from being completed on time and thus aircraft forced to be taken out of service. They do NOT break aircraft or slack off on maintenance.

I think deferred maintenance is a more likely scenario. That would not be driven by the machinists union but by the management team trying to control costs. However, even deferred maintenance has strict guidelines that neither management nor the union can cross. Only non critical items can be deferred and too many non criticals also add up to the same as a critical.

In case of calling out sick, both pilots and flight attendents have mandatory maximum hours they can fly. If too many scheduled flight attendents and pilots are out sick then aircraft start to get grounded. Management CANNOT make them fly overtime. If the machinists call out sick, then critical maintenance checks are not completed and again, aircraft will be pulled out of service.

I think we might see flight disruptions severely straining the air travel system, but I do not see safety being compromised at all. That is not how airline labor issues are managed.

I think we won't see any movement on US Airways until at least January 6, and most likely nothing until January 15. After that, all bets are off.

There are some who are still expecting CHAOS this weekend. I really don't.

I agree. January 6th is the next key date to watch out for.

I am always sad to read about reports of how people are impacted by flight delays. Over a decade ago, I used to work for a major carrier (not US Air). It is interesting being on the other side of the counter when delays happen. You see the best and worse in people. I suggest keeping in mind the following suggestions if you face flight delays:

1) If they tell you to go back to the counter and speak to an agent - DON'T just stand there! That just puts you in a line. Airlines love lines since they are processed based on available agents. Instead, while waiting in line, try calling your travel agent. They can immediately scan multiple carriers for available seats.

2) If you have a laptop, consider spending some money for computer access and check Expedia or similar sites. Do not go a specific airline's site. You will only see availability for seats on one carrier when you need to see all options.

3) Accept the odds are against you. Don't assume you can avoid being impacted. Rather, your goal now is to minimize the impact.

4) Do NOT take it out on the agent at the counter. That person did not personally make the delay happen so you should not try to make them personally responsible. By all means, insist the airline is responsible and demand full compensation. Just don't unload your anger on the agent. They don't like the situation anymore then you do. By using curtesy while insisting the situation be corrected you will get much further in getting an agent to work for getting you the best possible under the circumstances.

5) Agents have heard every story about why it is critical a passenger gets to their destination. Explain your situation and the impact of the delay but keep it factual and not shouting. Over the top emotional appeals rarely work when hundreds are looking for seats and not many are left. It is hard to care more about one specific person's situation when so many are affected. That said, if you do have unusual circumstances LET THE AGENT KNOW. Just don't demand a specific remedy but simply lay out your circumstances and ask what can be done.

6) If you will be delayed to where you miss a meal, insist on a meal voucher. Most agents are authorized (or immediately can get permission) to issue them during flight delays.

7) Too late to do after a delay happens, but ALWAYS insure any perishable items being shipped. For critical shipments, split between carriers.

8) Start writing down all expenses to submit later for compensation.

9) Always have a change of underwear in your carryon. You can wash everything else enough to get by overnight but you will be glad you did if you and your bags are separated :)

10) Don't Panic!

THANK YOU for being a voice of reason. As a proud member of the airline industry( thankfuly one not involved) we were thrown into mandatory overtime giving up holiday time with our families to try to sooth the situation for the industry. We dont want any airline going under but we have very few seats left to fill during peak periods such as the holidays and spring break, but most of us will do our very best to accomidate your needs if we can but if we only have seats available at 6 am im sorry thats your call, I dont willingly do any thing before noon but i wont miss a cruise just to sleep in. If delays are weather related no one flies this is for your safety, If its a sick out most other airlines will try to accomadate but expect to pay for your flight and hope for compensation from your original carrier. Please remember anyone you deal with at the airport or by phone probebly can not fix the problem so at that point politeness counts. We are not deliberately ruining your vacation were dealing with what happens to the airline you were scheduled with the government and their restrictions and the needs of our loyal pasengers who probebly booked months ago. I will apoligise for this disortation so flame if you would like, but all airlines really want to please you as you are our survival. Smooth Seas to All c j

Archived