Post your Southwest Airline boarding pass results!

recyclelady

This is a first for us. Booked our flights in July (leaving tomorrow, 1/7). Paid for Early Bird for both of us. When we printed our boarding passes, my daughter got A38 & I got A53.

When we've done this in the past, we have always gotten numbers together. Thought this was strange, but whatever. We'll be on the flight so that's what matters. :)

Weird! Were you both on the same reservation (i.e. same confirmation code)?

Checked in this morning at 23.5 hrs before flight (slept thru alarm), 5 people on 3 separate reservations. Got A50, 51 & 52 for first, A53 for second, A54 for 3rd.

Connecting flights got, B5, 6, 7, 8 & 9. No early bird.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I just checked us in at the 24 hour mark (no early bird) and got B12 and B13. I thought for sure we'd get in the As , but this is not too bad.

Has anyone addresses the fact that Southwest saves the first group of A's for Those that have purchased Business Select category tickets? My husband is a frequent flyer on SW and been when he forgets to check in 24 s in advance, he always gets an "A"

I think it depends on how many Business Select tickets are sold on each flight. If there are a lot, then the other ticket holders will land further down the list of boarding pass numbers. If not so many Business Select -chances are better to still get in the "A's".

All in all, their system does seem to work......or we have just gotten used to it! And I think that most SW customers are people that fly a lot and they are therefore used to the routine.....and don't tend to waste much time with searching for seats, stowing their luggage etc.

Has anyone addresses the fact that Southwest saves the first group of A's for Those that have purchased Business Select category tickets? My husband is a frequent flyer on SW and been when he forgets to check in 24 s in advance, he always gets an "A"

I think it depends on how many Business Select tickets are sold on each flight. If there are a lot, then the other ticket holders will land further down the list of boarding pass numbers. If not so many Business Select -chances are better to still get in the "A's".

All in all, their system does seem to work......or we have just gotten used to it! And I think that most SW customers are people that fly a lot and they are therefore used to the routine.....and don't tend to waste much time with searching for seats, stowing their luggage etc.

On our first Southwest flights ever about a year ago, we had paid for early bird and ending up being the first two passengers after the business select. If I recall correctly we were A16 & 17 but in actuality there was only one business select passenger ahead of us on that flight. We had no trouble getting the exit row on that one.

We have found since that we really appreciate the way Southwest boards their planes. It always sounded hugely annoying to me until we tried it. Since then we have taken 5 or 6 flights with them and really like the system. It is far more orderly than I had imagined.

• 2 weeks later...

Flying ABQ to LAX tomorrow. Interesting thing -- I booked our tickets at the same time, and went online this morning, and printed out our boarding passes. I got A-20 and my wife got A-24. We both signed up for early bird at the same time. Not a big deal, just wonder how the computer spit that out?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Checked in for a group of 33 passengers, phoenix to San Francisco

Checked in at 24 hour mark. Everybody got B's.

Meanwhile some independent passengers checked in 4 hours later and got A's.

Plus the independents paid only $222 round trip and they charged the group $320. We did get name changes and lost ticket rights but no schedule deviation if we were late.

Southwest treats groups very poorly. Plus the return flight was 4 hours late, stuck in some other city with mechanical issues

Checked in at the24 hr. mark and got the A16. 1 thru 15 are reserved for business select fares. Could not get that since these tickets are reward flights. Got my g/f an A24 with the early bird.

Can't do any better than A16!!:)

• 1 month later...
You should be able to sit together. Anything in the A's or B's you are fine. :)

I'd say "you will probably be fine" rather than "you are fine." Varies by flight (route, day, time) and, as noted,number of "biz class" purchases. If you have the tickets, no use sweating about it. We pay the $10 extra for "early bird," in part since when we are traveling we don't always have the ability to pounce on a computer at exacty 24 hours before the flight. I have not always gotten two consecutive numbers when booking together, but usually not more than a few numbers apart.

I fly SW a lot and success at early bird depends on what day of the week you fly.

My home base is Orlando The weekends are difficult due to the turnover traffic from the attractions. Monday AM and Friday PM you get business and more holiday flyers. Since I am my own boss, I avoid those times if it is practical.

Tues Wed Thurs usually gets you in the A20's if you buy earlybird. And I have a reasonable shot at getting my favorite seats.

Only problem is coming back with a connection - the good seats are taken after the stopover shuffle and if it is a long flight like PHX to MCO it could become tedious.

My days with SW may be numbered. SW is adding 9 seats to the cabin of each 737, which means legroom will get cramped. Price is not worth 2 days in bed recovering from a bad back.

Can you buy the early bird for just one way of your flight? Waiting for SW to open for a cruise late March. I was wondering since on a cruise it would be worth it to pay the 10.00 for ticket home if you don't use the internet onboard!!

Yes.

DON

May 5 ,TPA to ISP exactly 24 hours, wireless at Starbucks. At first I got B4 then a hiccup and suddenly it was B53. Could still see the B4 but could only print the B53. At the gate I showed the B4 on my IPad, but no go. I boarded B53.

Just flew yesterday on SWA.

Out - checked in 23 hours in Advance. A31, A32. Through passengers had almost the whole flight full when we boarded.

Back - checked in 22.5 hours in advance. A44, A45. Only about 60 passengers on the flight. 6:55 am.

• 4 months later...

Flying SAN-LAS in mid-February, booked in early October (ie 4½ months before). With Early Bird, we got A25 and A26.

I really don't think I could do WN any other way. The flight was absolutely full. It was pretty chaotic on board towards the end of the boarding process as groups struggled to find somewhere sensible to sit. Unsurprisingly, the turn could not be done within the scheduled time (which had already allowed rather more than the much-vaunted 25 minutes) and the flight inevitably departed a bit late (although not late enough to count as a delay).

Archived